Options

Cold, white, painful fingers

Since February this year I've lost a reasonable amount of weight and I'm struggling to regulate my temperature properly, particularly when I get back from a run now that the weather is getting colder.

When I'm actually running I get very hot (I'm naturally a very sweaty person) - the main problem is when I get back I get extremely cold generally, but especially my hands and fingers. My fingers go white and numb - they look dead - and I can't do anything with them. Tonight I tried to peel two boiled eggs as an after run snack and I just couldn't do it! I've been back for more than an hour and a half and my index fingers and thumbs are still frozen (the other three fingers on each hand have recovered).

Does anyone else have this or know what this is? What can I do to stop it? I'm guessing gloves would help - but I don't fancy wearing gloves when I'm actually running as I suspect this would make me way too hot. Any suggestions, or do I just put up with it until the warmer weather returns in the hope that they'll be better in Spring/Summer? (I will also consult Professor Google - but thought I'd ask the wise sages on here too)

Comments

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

Silk liner gloves (you can get them in outdoor shops are good). I often find that I can run without gloves but it's the change from outdoors to indoors that triggers it due to the temperature shift, so try putting gloves on as soon as you get inside or into the car & that might help to begin. 

• Options

Little Nell - it sounds like you have Raynaud's syndrome. Clag's advice re the gloves is spot on. Mine improved when pregnant but I wouldn't recommend that as a cure!

• Options

My hands get very cold after running (I get mild Reynaud's syndrome). I find I cool down very quickly post exercise and it's the time most likely to trigger white fingers for me. My tip is to wrap up straight after a run. Even if you feel warm when you stop put a jumper on as soon as you can . I usually stretch with a cup of tea to give me something to keep my hands warm. If I'm really cold getting into a hot shower usually helps. Or do the washing up - although it may be painful initially to put cold hands into warm water it does help warm them through.

• Options

Thank you very much to all - very helpful!

Clag - thank you for the silk gloves tip. Is there any benefit to gloves versus mittens? I have, literally, tiny hands and struggle to ever find gloves that fit... I'm wondering if I'm more likely to find suitable mittens?

LOL @ Slowkoala - yeah, I'll not be using your very extreme cure! It does seem like Raynaud's syndrome fits my symptoms.

Catalin - you're spot on about cooling down hugely as soon as I stop. What worried me most this time was my fingers were still like popsicles last night even after a hot shower.

I will seek out silk gloves or maybe mittens. Cheers folks! image

• Options

Nell,

Silly question, but how about childrens' gloves? If you have tiny hands, maybe that'd give you more options.. Here's a random example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronhill-Junior-Classic-Yellow-Fluorescent/dp/B00NA9PCMO/

• Options

Hehehe - thank you Kattefjaes!

I'm so used to there never being any useful, good quality, kids' sized options that I give up looking before I start (proper decent running shoes are a nightmare). Those look like a good option.

• Options
    JazzijJazzij ✭✭✭

Have a look at Decathlon, they do silk liners and thin childrens gloves as well