Options

Ironman & 70.3 Weymouth 2016

http://www.tri247.com/article_14446_Ironman+Weymouth+AND+70.3+confirmed.html?region_id=&category=

I was planning on doing the Vit', now changed my mind to head back to Weymouthimage

(I'll do the 70.3 this time though.)

Comments

• Options

I will indeed be there. Wanted to do another middle distance and this is on my door step so would be rude not to. Really looking forward to it already.

• Options

Wondering if the Ironman brand can encourage a bit more excitement around the event? Saw the highlights of this year's event last week and the support from the locals/general population appearing to be virtually non-existent, can't really blame the weather either as Tenby was the same day and ridiculously busy

• Options
    Undercover Elephant wrote (see)

Wondering if the Ironman brand can encourage a bit more excitement around the event? Saw the highlights of this year's event last week and the support from the locals/general population appearing to be virtually non-existent, can't really blame the weather either as Tenby was the same day and ridiculously busy

Thats a very valid point. I went to watch last year and strolled straight into the stands, there was no chance at all of doing that at IM Staffs. I do hope so, its a brilliant event for the people of Weymouth and it would be great to see it embraced a little more.

• Options
    I'd like to try the 70.3 next year after Oulaw full then full Weymouth in 2017.

Just need to conquer sea sickness !
  • Options

The local support wasn't bad the last two years to be honest, especially when you factor in the weather.

• Options

I've signed up for the 70.3 as a season closer.  My bro in law has signed up today so it's a family feud on the day, he's in M45-49 I'll be in the M50s I aim to destroy him muhahahahahahaha. 

Hotel booked as well, damn I'm efficient when I want to be.

• Options

All of a sudden this has raised its head.  Ironman emailed saying I could achieve the triple, having already finished Bolton and Tenby I could be a finisher of all three full distance UK Ironman races, and get a special t-shirt, and for some reason, it's floated my bolt.

Couldn't do Tenby in 2016 as it clashes with family milestones, but September 11th is good, and wifey has signed off on it.

What to do .......

• Options

Starting to think about the Full, but don't want to enter until probably, so hopefully (and can't imagine it will) it won't sell out, not before then anyway

• Options
    MTri wrote (see)

All of a sudden this has raised its head.  Ironman emailed saying I could achieve the triple, having already finished Bolton and Tenby I could be a finisher of all three full distance UK Ironman races, and get a special t-shirt, and for some reason, it's floated my bolt.

Couldn't do Tenby in 2016 as it clashes with family milestones, but September 11th is good, and wifey has signed off on it.

What to do .......

Hah - I got the same email. It's amazing what effect a "special T-shirt" has on motivaton! image

Too close to Mallorca for me though I think.

• Options

Just spend £400 more on top of the 800 you have already given us and we will give you a T-shirt. image. image

• Options

I got the same email, but I've never entered, let alone completed, Wales, so they're clearly not very discerning with the 'special' T shirts. 

• Options
    Excellent, so it's ??1200 for a special t shirt that's not that special. Decision made
  • Options
    flyaway wrote (see)

I got the same email, but I've never entered, let alone completed, Wales, so they're clearly not very discerning with the 'special' T shirts. 

I've not done Bolton but I've done Wales twice and got the same email so it's pretty random methinks.

• Options

Had some beers and pulled the trigger on 70.3 entry over Christmas. Must stop eating cheese now and perhaps think about training image

• Options

I'm thinking of entering the full this year as my first long distance triathlon. Can anyone give any advice as to what the course is like - particularly how challenging the bike section is?

I've been thinking about Outlaw or Immortal courses also. Any advice on what the course is like vs. these? 

Only thing that puts me off about Weymouth is the sea swim. Much prefer lakes/ rivers

• Options

It's changed from Challenge to IM this year so until they put the details out it's hard to answer.  If however it's the same or very similar to the Challenge course, the bike course is probably medium difficulty (but you're talking to someone who doesn't mind hills).

It was 2 laps with about 850m of climbing per lap, with most of the climbing in the first 1/2 - 2/3 of the lap, but I have to say I was surprised there was that much elevation as I didn't feel it was that hard (there's nothing too steep or long to deal with).  The last section is relatively flat and can be fast if the wind isn't blowing in your face.

I haven't done outlaw but from what I understand it's a relatively flat course - but, bear in mind that a flat course can be as hard if not harder than a hilly course, because a flat course you have to push the whole time & don't really change positions; at least if there are some hills you can change position, use different muscles and generally get a rest on the way back down!

No idea about immortal sorry but there is a recent thread on it you could have a look at.

If you don't like sea swimming then personally I wouldn't go for Weymouth - I'm not a fast swimmer but can keep going for a long time, but that was my first sea swim (well, "competitive" swim - I grew up in Australia so have swum for fun in the sea plenty of times!) and I did not enjoy it a single bit.  So personally I would say unless you have your heart set on it for a particular reason, if there are a few you are tossing up then especially for your first I'd go for what will suit you best.

• Options

Thanks. That's good advice. Its just the date that suits me more than anything. Would rather do one later in the year as gives more time for training. Unfortunately can't make the Wales IM and there don't seem to be many other options in August from what I can gather.

• Options

7 months to go!!!! image

Really must start thinking about some sort of exercise.

• Options
    ioweriower ✭✭✭

I'm in for this. Got Mallorca 70.3 to get out the way first then it'll be my primary focus. Done Mallorca for the last two years so it'll be good to try a different one. I'm aiming for a big improvement this year, with a further improvement in Weymouth, they've released the courses now and the bike looks like it could be a fast course - rolling but on mainly decent A roads? Any locals able to give further insight?

• Options
    D0MD0M ✭✭✭

If it is the same course as the Challenge event, the bike course isn't as fast as it would appear. After you have got out of town and climbed up the hill from about 5 miles, you descend on pretty bad roads. About 10 miles of narrow country lanes, gravelly, pot holes etc. hedges either side and not able to see what's coming towards you as you descend around the bends. Saw a few crashes as people overcooked the turns. I couldn't bring myself to go for it and decided it wasn't worth going head on into an oncoming car, so had to drag the brakes in order to stay safe. Hope they have changed it as i thought it was ok as a sportive course, but as a tri course, too dangerous. 

• Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

I rode 1 loop a few weeks ago with my brother in law, the wind was a NE which for that part of the world is unusual and it had quite an effect on the ride as over a third was into a 16kmh head wind.

I'd agree with DOM above to a degree, yes there are some country lane sections, yes there are a few sketchy parts and one part before a fairly steep (I think it tops out about 11%) climb was broken and potholed but that section is being repaired right now.  I hit over 80kph on one descent. Overall I think it's quite a fast course, we bimbled round using my bro in laws Gamin watch to guide us as I'd left my Garmin 910 at home by mistake, we took a few wrong turns and took a couple of pee stops and view stops and were still around the course in an easy 3:20.  Made my mind up to fire up the TT bike as well.

It's not a particularly scenic course, the last climb up to the radio/radar station above Weymouth offers a great panorama of the bay.

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Does this sell out well before time? I'm thinking about the 70.3 and just can't quite commit yet.

• Options

Only 3 and a bit weeks people! image

• Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

I updated my hotel booking this morning to stay over Sunday evening and do the midnight finish line support/party.  Hopefully we will see numbers and race info packs in the next few days.

• Options
    Due to lack of recent training I will be a DNS for the 70.3

Recently diagnosed with exercise induced asthma and getting used to inhalers.

Lack of fitness & confidence has brought my 2016 season to an early end

Did have a lovely recci weekend in Weymouth this weekend. But gales force storms kept us out of water & juggling bike rides.
  • Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Red Stripe, hope things settle down for you soon.

Only just realised Weymouth is a full IM, 70.3 & Relay all starting at the same time 0700.  Even with a rolling start it has a big opportunity for a mass biff on the way out to the turn buoy.

• Options

That's got carnage written all over it for the faster full distance people, 45+ minute swim will bring them out at the same time as the mediocre halves meaning a lot of traffic to clear, and then on the second lap they'll have to contend with the slower full distance people, could be some swearing at the pointy end of things! image

• Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

I wonder if they'll do a rolling start for full, then half then relay? So relay people will be starting around 7:15.