Options

Freezing cold...

Hi,

I've just popped over from the beginners thread to see if any of you more experienced runners can help me...

After running (or in fact cycling) in the morning i will generally be quite warm, have a medium warm shower and then dress and head off to work - around 30-45mins after i finished running i get seriously cold... it doesn't seem to matter what i'm wearing - the cold seems to come from inside and i'm shivering for up to 2 hours.

Does anyone know why? Or have any tips as to how i could avoid this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Nessy - I get the same effect after a long run and the only way I get warm is for a very hot shower or bath and a hot drink (or 3 or 4)...I don't know why it happens but hopefully someone who does will post shortly!
  • Options
    amandarunning - thanks for reassuring me i'm not completely mutant!

I too try cups of tea to warm up...

Does anybody know the cause and how we can avoid it in the first place???
  • Options
    This is very common - especially after longer or more exhausting runs. It is caused by depletion of your body's fuel reserves. Eating something fairly substantial shortly after completing the run should help to alleviate the symptoms.
  • Options
    thanks donutto,

i have very low blood sugar in the mornings and can't go out without eating breakfst first.

Maybe i should split my breakfast and have only one slice of toast with peanut butter before going and save one for when i get back.
  • Options
    hi nessy,

You must always eat something within 30 mins of excercise then ensure a decent meal within 2 hours. Could be why you're so cold.
  • Options
    thanks for the advice folks!

i'll definately try having half my breakfast after my run but as for a 'decent meal' within 2 hours - that would mean having lunch before 11am!

hmmmmmm....
  • Options
    If you are running and using up a lot of energy, you need to eat more, not split up what you already eat. Have 2 slices before and 2 more when you get back!
    I don't know how often you are running but keep an eye on your weight and make sure you replace the energy you are expending.
  • Options
    Nessy, you're not the only one - though I didn't appreciate that it happened to most people/ It's good to know.

And the cure involves eating...I knew there was something to this running malarky after all. :)
  • Options
    Do you think that eating enough is the reason for getting cold after a longer run then? I really suffer with this and find myself trying to warm up with a boiling hot bath and lots of layers of clothing. I've also tried deliberately not having a hot bath or shower thinking that this may just make the problem worse. I tend to always eat before I go out and then usually have my lunch when I get home. I feel absolutely fine initially, but the coldness sets in about half an hour after I have cooled down.
  • Options
    I would try taking a sports drink or gels or jelly babies and keep topping up as you run. It's important to get out of your wet/sweaty running gear a.s.a.p and not get cold after.A hot drink or soup and something to eat sounds good. I don't know about hot baths - a lot of people swear by cold ones but I've never liked the idea !!
  • Options
    moortrotter - EXACTLY my experience!

I'm not particularly slim though (BMI one point into the 'overweight' category) and not too convinced i can get away with eating more...

wonder how much you need right after the run?
    and also whether carb, protien or mixed (currently thinking about Peanut butter on toast).
  • Options
    Nessy
    it is really horrible isn't it? I know what you mean about it coming from inside. I can relate to that saying 'chilled to the bone'.

I think we need to eat more after the run. I have tried the hot soup thing and still froze!!

Don't know what to eat though! Peanut butter sounds yummy!
  • Options
    Food is the only thing that helps when I get that frozen-to-the-bone feeling after a run, and it has to be extra food rather than just shuffling my meals around, and something substantial.

For a long time, eating after a run came way down my list of priorities after drinking, stretching and having a bath, but getting some food in within the first half-hour or so really does make a difference.
  • Options
    The depleted reserves makes alot of sense. I do try to get some food in asap and ensure it has a protein element. So Nessy I think peanut butter on toast (but extra slices) is the thing to try....good luck.

I'm going to try to stuff more in - shouldn't be too difficult ;)
  • Options
    somehow soup seems to hold alot more heat than a cup of tea & coffee.. and do a much better job of warming you up from the inside... i found.
  • Options
    Just thought - ed reminded me - porridge is great and really warming...scrummy too with a bit of golden syrup!
  • Options
    golden syrup... and banana... surely!
  • Options
    Last night i tried having a piece of toast before my shower and then dinner afterwards - normally i would drink first, then shower, then cook and so not actually end up eating until quite a while after the run.

Anyway, last night i didn't get cold :o)

It'll take more than one incidence to convince me i'm cured forever but it's looking good!!!