Options

Go for sub 3:45...

I don't know what time I should aim for in the Edinburgh Marathon in June. I did my first marathon in Dublin in October in 3:53 (half time of 1:47 - blew up completely after mile 16!) and don't know what to aim for in Edinburgh. I have learned from my mistakes in Dublin (and indeed in the training I did for Dublin) i.e. do more long runs and don't go out too fast on the day, but I just know Im capable of a lot more. My question to you all is this - should I aim for the sub 3:45/close to 3:30 that I should be able to do if I can just hold the 1:47 pace for the second half, or should I be sensible and accept that I might not be able to knock that amount of time off this soon? Help!

Comments

• Options
    Pacing the race right is probably worth the 8 minutes off your time - so if you can go off at 3.45 pace you should be able to do that assuming your fitness is as good as it was in October.

Going for 3.30 is another step up - looking at the way you blew up you probably weren't up to 3.30 pace in October so you'd have to judge whether you are that much fitter now than then. If you are relatively new to running then you probably are fitter so 3.30 could be realistic. I've got the same problem with London - whether to play safe or go for sub 3. Why not do a half marathon as a guide ?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    What sort of race times do you do for 10 miles, 1/2M and 20 miles?
  • Options
    I don't know Hilly - I've never done them. The only 1/2 m time I'm going off is the 1:47 from the marathon (I did 13 milers a few times in training but never timed them, prefering just to know that I covered the distance and felt good). I did one 20 miler in training and did that in about the same time as I did in the marathon I think, give or take a few minutes. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I know that if i timed every run I would be trying to beat my time every single time I went out the door (I'm just that sort of girl!) and that could get a bit dangerous. The other reason that I don't time my runs is that I don't have a stopwatch...!!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a good idea either to time every training run.

If you did 1.47 in the marathon, no doubt you'd be quicker over a measured 1/2M race route. However, to maintain 1.47 for the second half of a marathon you have to train to do so.

Personally, I'd take a look at the BT thread (did I just say that!)as it has plenty of information on building up your endurance on a low heart rate, which you need for a good marathon.

Sorry I can't be more specific! However, I will say you've done 1 marathon in sub 4, so that's a great time to build on!

Good luck!
  • Options
    I've just thought - if you don't have a stop watch how do you time your mile splits in a race?
  • Options
    I was able to borrow one for Dublin... got a bit obsessed by it and was looking at it every 30 secs or so!!