Options

Calorie Intake

Currently running between 35 and 45 mile weeks in prep for the FLM. Just a little concerned about getting enough food, basically I don't think I do.
As a bloke I think you should consume about 2800 calories a day with an extra hundred for each mile run?
So yesterday when I did 13 miles I should be shovelling 4100 calories worth of food and there's no way I did!
Could this slow me down? Make my training less effective? Is it dangerous.

Comments

• Options
    Mardi Gras,

Just keep track of your weight, and how you feel. If you are losing weight rapidly and you often feel hungry, cold and lacking in energy - then maybe you need to eat a bit more. But bear in mind that in the long run losing weight is likely to make you faster, not slower. Optimum running weight for men is about 2 pounds for every inch of height + 10 pounds. So if you are 5'10" - an ideal running weight is 150lbs = 10st 10lbs.

I expect someone will now post something about 'big bones' or 'losing muscle' - but that is a load of rubbish, usually posted by over-weight runners justifying their lard!
  • Options
    How do you calculate the optimum running weight for women?
  • Options
    I can't remember the formula - I recalled the one for men from Bob Glover's Competitive Runner's handbook. I'll look up the one for women, and post it when I get home.
  • Options
    There's some info on this website!

www.serpentine.org.uk

sorry can't do links!

• Options
    There is a good article written by Frank Horwill on the Serpentine Website. Weight relative to height in Distance Running(I think)

My experience is that when I started eating more, my weight didn't go up but my running improved. I can recommend bananas and chunky sandwiches as a good source of carbs if you need a boost.
  • Options
    I just found that article. Very helpful. Thank you.
  • Options
    2800 calories sounds like a lot. I think it's more like 2000 for men. If you eat the right stuff you should still be able to stay under 2000 calories a day easily and get the right amount of carbs to allow you to train properly.
    Burning calories depends on how heavy you are. If you are an appropriate weight for your height and are female, like me, then you will burn considerably less than 100 calories for every mile run. Overweight people and men burn more per mile. There's no such thing as an average!