Options

working at it slowly

Comments

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Afternoon - just lost a long post image

Hurrah for you Podds! They have taken the pi55 out of you for far too long.

Oooh, a noo car Coco? How exciting! What are you looking at?

Good to see you Noggy! I'm glad that HL will be spared the knife but I bet she is desperate to get that splint off.

Jenni, I'm glad that your bug didn't turn into anything significant. Let's hope that my current runny nose goes the same way.

Safe journey back to the flatlands Chuggy.

I was up and in the pool by 7.45, then picked up MS and SM so that we could hit Tesco. We have worked out a system whereby one of us does our shopping and the other helps SM with hers, that keeps MS and I from coming to blows at least!

Chuggy, we are safe from flooding here being just over 1 mile from the nearest river and on higher ground. However, the river is very full and the surrounding land very soggy so I think localised flooding is pretty much guaranteed.

I had a phone call from my surgeon's sec today, I am back on the waiting list for another trial of SCS image It probably won't be until August but at least I have also been referred back to the pain clinic.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

• Options

Well that's sort of good news Sluggie but August is such a long way away..... image

Hopefully the pain clinic can offer something which gives you decent quality of life without being too zombifying........

I am off to see bondage boy later.......happy Friday image image

• Options

Hope everyone had a good day today.

I've had a chest infection and cough for a couple of weeks and have run out of oomph.  I feel ok but my energy levels are very low.

I need to get back to road riding soon - I've been turboing since mid November.

I still don't have a date for my knee replacement but it feels ok so I desperately want to get some miles in.

Speaking of which - i had a major problem with my carbon bike so, after a deal of unneccessary faffage, Wiggle claim to have put it right so it'll be back with me on Monday.  Hurrah.

Can someone please declare it to be 5 o'clock, as i'd like to open a bottle of wine.

• Options

Go for it - it's near as dammit

Probably not much consolation but few people have been riding in Jan due to the road conditions...our club ride is cancelled tomorrow already on safety grounds.......

• Options

Thank you Podds.

Shame about the ride.  

When I raced, Health and Safety hadn't been invented and we never cancelled a Sunday club ride.  I can remember being on the Witney Bypass one Sunday in deep snow - there was 5 cyclists and a snowplough.  We didn't make it to Northleach in The Cotswolds though.

I wouldn't do it now.

• Options

Did you see the Carbon fibre bike featured on Top Gear? Richard Hammond plus tram tracks = £9k of wrecked bike! 

Good news about another trial Sluggy but can't they do it a bit sooner for you? 

Slight panic today having rung for thyroid test results and was told the doc wanted to see me! I must admit I was thinking "now what?!!" Doc said they were the " weirdest results ever!" Turns out it's because I'm on T3 not T4! Phew! I need a holiday!!!!

Bram has been checked by my vet and is fine to start going out image and Megs has had a flu jab in her rump! Good girl never flinched.  The Shetlands who are due for their jabs next month rear, buck and generally behave in a disgraceful fashion. I am going to try and borrow a cattle crush For the occasion, lock myself in it and let the vet and the ponies fight it out amongst themselves! 

(((( waisters)))))

• Options

Boggs back when you were racing bicycles were the only mode of transport image

dinner time time stand off again.

• Options

Cirque de Soleil is go  .... 10th February at the Royal Albert Hall   image

Today has been a day of swimming and horsing and shopping and washing, its all rock n roll round here   image

Slugs n Tubs (sounds like some kind of gardening implement) could you guys not get a BOGOF at a hospital somewhere, you could take Noggs and Larry along as well I suspect

• Options

((((tubs))))

I did mean to add to my post way back that I am moaning and feeling sorry and I shouldn't when you have such real health problems as does Sluggie, and Larrie has her nasty accident - and HL and Nogs knees... . I've just wimped out a bit.

Well, I've got the crown put on - it was rather traumatic as he didn't deaden my mouth as he thought the anaesthetic had caused my jaw to hurt. So it really hurt! when he took the temporary thing off and blasted something cold !!!! I react badly to slight pain - I flinch and pull awful faces (giving blood they always used to ask if I was okay - yes, I jsut can't help pulling the face!)

Ibuprofen ... it's calmed down.

But I'm playing the Jantastic joker and feeling a bit sorry for myself.

Sticking maths in and watching Miss Marple ... comfort telly!

On the up side, I've booked some Ramblers walks for me and Mr P  - one just me, one together. image

• Options

Teeth related stuff is not nice Pippi, take a week off and say that Meldy told you to

Mountain biking for me tomorrow.  Wonder how many layers I can get on ?

• Options

Toof stuff is no joke Pippi - you have every right to feel sorry for yourself.......gob pain is the pits image

LOL at hiding in the cattle crush Tubs - but what a good girl Megs is.....

I've just come back from bondage boy - he is very good for my spirits and soul (don't think he realizes just how much!) and also a damn good fizzyouch imageimage  He is pleased with my progress both on the knee and core fronts...... so I celebrated with coming home via the chippy........ image

• Options

Hey guys been a while since I posted here, heres how My run went, copied from another site I wrote this in a 

So managed to do 2.2mi at easy pace in 27.56 this week and today ran 1 mile at faster than tempo pace in 9.42 which is a new pb by 5 seconds, also did a new pb for 1km by dint of it  being first km I timed, ran it in 6 minutes. In the mile run I covered 156meters in 35 seconds at 10mph (treadmill no incline) which is 44 seconds for 200m if keeping to that pace, which is similar to a running prediction site saying my 200m time would be 43 and my own time prediction of 46 based on a 17s for 80.5m streatch I did in my easy run earlier this week (my easy run was outside).  I am intrested in running a 200m, my nearest track has faded lines so hard to tell 100m but easier with 200m as their are landmarks plus will measure with my GPS watch and put down some cones or something like that! something I dont mind if some thug steals!  Footballs not a good idea.. kids would steal those, the ugly smelly 15 year old kind! Leaving it 2 weeks till I next run in mean time will be doing elliptical and my workouts from Mat Fitzgeralds book and maybe throw in a bit of rowing machine at the end of each week (thursday/fridayish) 2km at easy pace.  I forget what my pb for 1km rowing is, I think it was like 6 minutes or 6.30. I know it wasn't 7 minutes or near to 7 minutes.

MY V02 MAX HAS INCREASED FROM 22 (BASED ON RACE IN EDINBURGH UP A MOUNTAIN, OK VERY VERY STEEP HILL) T0 28.6 (BASED ON TIME FOR 1 MILE INDOORS)

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Teeth related stuff is not nice Pippi, take a week off and say that Meldy told you to

I say 3. Cause I wear 3, a left quad support compression thing then compression pants with shorts or running legging things on top (the things which are tight, don't know what you call them, they have a zip at bottom and only serious runners, and er me wear them! (I wouldn't class my self as serious, I don't do 15 miles a week yet due to injury in fact I do runs then leave it 2 weeks, going to see a physio soon I feel for further help as just leaving it hasn't moved it into green zone)

Does any one know if its safe to do rolling when you get a slight tweak in an injury? 

• Options
    POdds - feel the fear do it anyway wrote (see)

I have a wonderful picture in my head of an evil looking ginger pussy sat there with his "arms" crossed saying "no washing machine - no food".............

I want to go out in the sun but can't.............image

Oh my that's a rather dirty post! image image Also not anatomically possible!!! Unless there are mutant .... in mars.

• Options
    NewRunner2k14 wrote (see)
    M...eldy wrote (see)

I say 3. Cause I wear 3, a left quad support compression thing then compression pants with shorts or running legging things on top (the things which are tight, don't know what you call them, they have a zip at bottom and only serious runners, and er me wear them! (I wouldn't class my self as serious, I don't do 15 miles a week yet due to injury in fact I do runs then leave it 2 weeks, going to see a physio soon I feel for further help as just leaving it hasn't moved it into green zone)

Does any one know if its safe to do rolling when you get a slight tweak in an injury? 

NewRunner2k14 wrote (see)

Hey guys been a while since I posted here, heres how My run went, copied from another site I wrote this in a 

So managed to do 2.2mi at easy pace in 27.56 this week and today ran 1 mile at faster than tempo pace in 9.42 which is a new pb by 5 seconds, also did a new pb for 1km by dint of it  being first km I timed, ran it in 6 minutes. In the mile run I covered 156meters in 35 seconds at 10mph (treadmill no incline) which is 44 seconds for 200m if keeping to that pace, which is similar to a running prediction site saying my 200m time would be 43 and my own time prediction of 46 based on a 17s for 80.5m streatch I did in my easy run earlier this week (my easy run was outside).  I am intrested in running a 200m, my nearest track has faded lines so hard to tell 100m but easier with 200m as their are landmarks plus will measure with my GPS watch and put down some cones or something like that! something I dont mind if some thug steals!  Footballs not a good idea.. kids would steal those, the ugly smelly 15 year old kind! Leaving it 2 weeks till I next run in mean time will be doing elliptical and my workouts from Mat Fitzgeralds book and maybe throw in a bit of rowing machine at the end of each week (thursday/fridayish) 2km at easy pace.  I forget what my pb for 1km rowing is, I think it was like 6 minutes or 6.30. I know it wasn't 7 minutes or near to 7 minutes.

MY V02 MAX HAS INCREASED FROM 22 (BASED ON RACE IN EDINBURGH UP A MOUNTAIN, OK VERY VERY STEEP HILL) T0 28.6 (BASED ON TIME FOR 1 MILE INDOORS)

This just makes me think of how amazing some folk are that can run 200m in 28s or less as young or midle age teenagers (15-16). 

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Cirque de Soleil is go  .... 10th February at the Royal Albert Hall   image

Today has been a day of swimming and horsing and shopping and washing, its all rock n roll round here   image

Slugs n Tubs (sounds like some kind of gardening implement) could you guys not get a BOGOF at a hospital somewhere, you could take Noggs and Larry along as well I suspect

Sounds awesome! 

• Options
    Jenni-far-far wrote (see)

morning all

((((((((Tubbs))))))) massive hug you are SO brave

NR I do weigh myself daily but I think its a bad habit - I always follow a pattern of being heaviest monday and lowest friday - the reasons are obvious! for comparison you should use same day each week.

Luckily I've never really had weight issues and although I do need to be a bit careful now to keep where I want to be. I do tease my SW colleague but she believes if she didn't go every week she could be loads heavier, who knows.

Coco I totally agree with you - the main thing with exercise should be consistency that's what keeps us fit and healthy (hopefully). the rest is about getting better/ faster etc but thats a bonus

I don't know the make of my washing machine or tumble drier, fridge or dishwasher image 

Yeah I always do walks every 2-3 days now so even If I am hurt I am getting some sort of exercise! 

• Options

Hey does any one have a problem with a relative that's better than running than them having unrealistic expectations? My 56 year old dad doesnt get that I am watching an injury and cant train (runs) 3 times a week or even 1 a week each week, has to be 9days-2 weeks between runs. Or that he has 2 months more training than me, and that not "every young male runs 5 minute mile pace for several miles" He doesn't realize just how pro he was at 28 years of age, in fact right now he ran 4mile in 8.30 something a mile on his slower run at the end of 18 miles, usually he was doing 7-9 miles a week for the last 3 or 4 weeks and he ran a 15.05 for 2 mile in a training run at what I am guessing was tempo or in between tempo and race pace for him, to be that fast at 56 with such a lowish mileage base is quite incredible! Hes not taking into account my injury, my slight lung scarring or his 2 month training advantage due to this injury I still have that I can now run on every now and then, or the fact that that 15.05 is mind blowing for a 56 year old on only 7-9 miles per week prior to this week. Extrapolating what he could do if he did 40 miles a week on a regular basis is just frightening. Surely close to the top 1% for his age group... Or the top 30% if he where in the 20-30 age group....He also doesnt recognize I have slight potential as far as speed goes, just endurance I lack. He says "only one of us can talk about running", he doesnt seem to understand that me reading a book on running or sites is more than just being able to clock a lot of miles. 

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

NR .. many parkruns are varied terrains and will present challenges to many people

If you are still only able to run for 1/2 a mile or so every 2 weeks then you are far far from being able to build up to any distance

M...eldy wrote (see)

NR .. many parkruns are varied terrains and will present challenges to many people

If you are still only able to run for 1/2 a mile or so every 2 weeks then you are far far from being able to build up to any distance

Yeah not criticising just making the observation 10k in 41 mins is pretty amazing 5k in that time not so much, id have thought undulating trails through a wood vs wind would be similar in difficulty to climbing a 500ft vs wind and hailstones. Depends age and sex and training etc. Part of my training is walking! You can always walk even if you cant run due to injury. Did 3.8 mile running this week 35 mins on the eliptical too. Next week will be 0 miles (probably) but 40-60 mins on eliptical. (Sessions of 20-30 mins, 35 gets a bit dull...even with music, I need more slow tracks!)

• Options
    Lynds wrote (see)
    Hey

I'm new to the forum and to running! So thought I'd bob on here to say hi! I'm currently beginning week 4 of the C25k plan, hoping to get lots of good tips from the forum image

Hi and welcome, sorry its so belated. I go for long periods of inactivity here and then try to catch up with the threads.  Are you male or female? Which age group do you fall into (no need to be specific about exact age, hope the age group question doesnt offend you). I think if you can achieve 36% of the world record for your age and sex category you are doing not so bad! That would be a first goal. My second goal is to get my figure up to 40%! Me dad is in the 60s for age grade on just 7-8 miles a week, he really is a good runner. 

• Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭

NR, you're not an accountant are you? Just wondered cos our other accountants like numbersimage  Come to think of it, I don't know whether you're male or female, how old you are or where you're located. Do tellimage 

Gosh,HL's really mullered her knee. Good to hear she's positive despite lugging the brace around for 12 weeks.

((((Pippi gob))) indulge yourself in some wallowing n looking after yourself guilt freeimage 

Sounds as though you might not need to travel to the pool soon, sluggyimage Love the idea of splitting up to shop. Makes sense. How is SM? Glad you've not been abandoned by the docs.

((((Tubbs)))) I have everything crossed for the op to be over with pronto and your worries to easeimage  

Safe journey, chuggyimage  

Thank goodness you have clean clothes, m....eldy. I didn't like to say anything but....

Coco, follow the well known philosophy of a shoe manufacturer... Just do itimage 

Snow here yesterday so no run. Motivation bit low at mo but going to shuffle even if just round the block today. 

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Morning

I have the lurgy.

I have snored for the last 3 nights.

I may not survive another - OH is not happy.

(((((Pippi, Tubbs and HL)))) all of whom have real issues not just snot.

Good news on being back on the list Sluggie

Are you nearly there yet Chuggy?

Happy weekend all

• Options

I've had a lovely long lazy lie in! 

Been to the local shops and come back with ibuprofen, Th eGuardian(just to annoy nogsimage) and a bag of seed potatoes (of which he might approve?)

now im going to defrost the freezer! image 

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Afternoon,

You certainly know how to live Pippi! I hope the toof is feeling better.Please don't feel bad on my behalf.  It doesn't matter how much pain someone else is in - it doesn't stop our own pain! 

Nice to see you again NR. Try not to worry about your Dad's comments, we each have our own path to travel and it sounds as if he has always been very fit. Remind him that you are still getting back to fitness after the big C.

Awww, big hug and a polo mint for Megs for being so brave. Sorry Bram, I'd love to give you a mint too, but I don't think you're allowed them. Tubs, I also laughed at the image of you hiding in the cattle crush - I would have thought that you would be more comfortable in the hossbox. Glad that your bloods were nothing to worry about.

I'm in my usual position on the bed, Cleo on my lap and Alfie in his bed -what more could I want? image

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxxx

• Options

O h dear DL, hope it sorts itself soon.

Pipps, Don.t worry about The Grauniad, I could get a copy of The Mail to restore balance to the universe.

Penny has had a very long email from physio dil in NZ full of advice on how to help her recovery.

Right, best get Amelia back to the studio for festival rehearsals.

• Options
    DL wrote (see)

Morning

We are now three but our clutter seems to have increased by at least two extra people - I'm guessing that's a teenager thing. 

I did read back last night and therefore all useful information has subsequently slithered from my brain as a fried egg would exit a non stick pan. I seem to think Pippi is wearing an eye pad, Podds' dogs are extra stinky, Chuggs has kidnapped a cat, there are some new and returning WAISTers, a park run was extended to cover 10 k for a few minutes, M.eldy did the splits, Yums was in the banal splits, Coco wants to split more often and the Sluggies have lifted the mastermind trophy.

I have only been out and run again - that's twice more and a gym visit since last time I reported . I have a split with an 11 in it. I'd rather have a split with raspberries and cream in. I am well haloed up.

Happy sparkly new week, full of the unknown and chances yet to be taken

Slugsta wrote (see)

Afternoon,

You certainly know how to live Pippi! I hope the toof is feeling better.Please don't feel bad on my behalf.  It doesn't matter how much pain someone else is in - it doesn't stop our own pain! 

Nice to see you again NR. Try not to worry about your Dad's comments, we each have our own path to travel and it sounds as if he has always been very fit. Remind him that you are still getting back to fitness after the big C.

Awww, big hug and a polo mint for Megs for being so brave. Sorry Bram, I'd love to give you a mint too, but I don't think you're allowed them. Tubs, I also laughed at the image of you hiding in the cattle crush - I would have thought that you would be more comfortable in the hossbox. Glad that your bloods were nothing to worry about.

I'm in my usual position on the bed, Cleo on my lap and Alfie in his bed -what more could I want? image

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxxx

Thanks slug, actually he wasnt in the mid part of his life but he lost a lot of weight over the last year and over last 2 months he has been running more regularly whilst I have been injured..He doesn't appreciate that he is talented in a way, sure not olympic or even amature race meeting talented (although when he was 28 he possibly was) he thinks his brother is faster,, maybe he is over a sprint or ultramarthon, his brother does a lot of miles at 10 minute mile pace so is fit but I think over 5k or 10k my dad is already about a match for him, not so much over 100meters or 100miles maybe! Its just frustrating when I tell him what I think I can get to in the next few months and he just says well do it then, there is not much I can do with this injury apart from limit how far, fast and often I run.I already gave it 4 weeks then I had edinburgh then nearly 2 weeks before a run then 13 days, ran twice this week, now leaving it to next Friday/sat or sunday before I run again (only doing 1 light run next week, need to get some more slow songs on that I can play while I run to control my tempo. 

Weirdly the left leg feels ok today after I rolled it last night cause I tweaked it by going fast. Weirdly my right hamstring/bum crease feels a bit brussed hoping it goes away in a few days I am guessing it will go away given how it feels.

• Options
    Yums wrote (see)

NR, you're not an accountant are you? Just wondered cos our other accountants like numbersimage  Come to think of it, I don't know whether you're male or female, how old you are or where you're located. Do tellimage 

Gosh,HL's really mullered her knee. Good to hear she's positive despite lugging the brace around for 12 weeks.

((((Pippi gob))) indulge yourself in some wallowing n looking after yourself guilt freeimage 

Sounds as though you might not need to travel to the pool soon, sluggyimage Love the idea of splitting up to shop. Makes sense. How is SM? Glad you've not been abandoned by the docs.

((((Tubbs)))) I have everything crossed for the op to be over with pronto and your worries to easeimage  

Thank goodness you have clean clothes, m....eldy. I didn't like to say anything but....

Coco, follow the well known philosophy of a shoe manufacturer... Just do itimage 

Snow here yesterday so no run. Motivation bit low at mo but going to shuffle even if just round the block today. 

Male. Hmm The numbers tell me how I am doing compared to myself. I get abit of the fascination with numbers from my family. Hoping eventually they will say I have done well but I am not to sure one of them grasps what doing well is, doing well is catching up with the age grade world record, beating your own times, not getting injured. Maybe one of them will get a shock when they see what I weight lift now!  40kg lat pul down might not mean much to them if they cant imagine how much that is, when they see the actuall number of stacks and that I am a small guy that isnt even dedicated to weight lifting just using it for general fitness and strength and that they cant pull that sort of weight down 3 ses of 5 they will maybe appreciate how far I have came, I give just one example.

I have gone from over 15 minute miles last year to 9.42 this year and I still have more to come just from my leg healing and me learning how to pace my runs better let alone any further gains from the next weeks and months of training. I think my strength is near its peak now for the amount of bulk I am allowing myself to have (though I could be wildly wrong about that), though if I enter one of those runs with obstacles I will allow myself to gain more of my max potential strength at the expense of having a little too much bulk for running which I will mostly lose after the obstacle event. I am in my 20's. Sorry for being vague! image

• Options
    Yums wrote (see)

Male. Hmm The numbers tell me how I am doing compared to myself. I get abit of the fascination with numbers from my family. Hoping eventually they will say I have done well but I am not to sure one of them grasps what doing well is, doing well is catching up with the age grade world record, beating your own times, not getting injured. Maybe one of them will get a shock when they see what I weight lift now!  40kg lat pul down might not mean much to them if they cant imagine how much that is, when they see the actuall number of stacks and that I am a small guy that isnt even dedicated to weight lifting just using it for general fitness and strength and that they cant pull that sort of weight down 3 ses of 5 they will maybe appreciate how far I have came, I give just one example.

I have gone from over 15 minute miles last year to 9.42 this year and I still have more to come just from my leg healing and me learning how to pace my runs better let alone any further gains from the next weeks and months of training. I think my strength is near its peak now for the amount of bulk I am allowing myself to have (though I could be wildly wrong about that), though if I enter one of those runs with obstacles I will allow myself to gain more of my max potential strength at the expense of having a little too much bulk for running which I will mostly lose after the obstacle event. I am in my 20's. Sorry for being vague! image

• Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭

Oh, NR, you're a baby in comparison to most of usimage  I think the important thing is to enjoy your own achievements. Whatever we do in life, if we compare ourselves to others, we will always find fault with ourselves. You've been through cancer, so you know all about over coming challenges. Enjoy being able to lift weights and run, its all you need to doimage 

Well lied in , pippi image  

You too, sluggyimage 

• Options

NR, forget the numbers, concentrate on what ever injury you have and getting that better, you can then work to running more than once every 9 days which will allow you to improve, you won't improve significantly or consistently carrying on like you are. This is likely why your dad is managing to produce the times that he is.

ive been mountain biking this morning, in the snow. the Muroh has been rolling in it and the GPO has been giving it a wide berth.  Talking of a wide berth ... There's a large grey one on FB image

DL it must have been you who woke me up this morning then!