Options

working at it slowly

Comments

• Options

I saw the ducks on the brook again this morning but I had nothing for them .... There is quite a current outside and their little legs were having to paddle madly to stay in one place

i also saw a large ginger moggy drinking out of the bird bath and it wasn't the GPO ...

blimey Larry sounds like you need to take it easy for a while, hope everything continues to heal well 

Sluggy been out being a Sluggy too I see !!

Pippi, nowt so queer as folk (clubs, music, people) image

• Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

grrrr - Mr P cooked dinner (just an easy roast) and now he's gone to work I've had to scrub the kitchen. How can you leave so much grease over the work surfaces and the floor?!?!

• Options

It's a talent Pippi image image

I have done nothing much today........sounds good in theory but all adds to the chaos I will walk into tomorrow..........oh well...... image

I was very diligent and moonpigged an arrangement of flowers to both Mummy Podds and the Mother outlaw and then listened to Mr P taking all the kudos for being such a good son!!! image

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Hello image

Well the show yesterday was absolutely brilliant! image and she can sing!!

We waited outside the stage door, but she didn't come out image apparently she likes to nap in the afternoon.

11 miles with club mates today image

Kids got me some sweets to take running image and then daught gave me some ear rings saying...." I bought these with my own money" very touched....they only get a fiver a month!!
  • Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭

A fiver a month pocket moneymoney a month, Spence? I am being way to generous with mine. They get £50 each 

Presumably bursitis is better than wear n tear/arthuritus, larryimage 

Who have you been stalking now, Spence?

I missed SB being in Berlin, sluggy. What's he doing there? 

Pippi, Folk music is a funny thing. At our local festival I was surprised how dark the origins/words were. Hope its funimage 

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    50 quid!!!? *shocked face*
  • Options
    I am hoping it's a lot better than that, Yumsimage and I am relieved at the diagnosis.

Inflation has certainly hit the pocket money. Glad I don't have to finance our two any more.

Nighty night all.
  • Options

morning all,

P*shing down here. Had a very good wekend with the boys ( Tony / Scott ) had a good 12.8k walk over the local hills with Tony to another pub and Scott dsid his mad 20 mile run to meet up had a few pints came home to mrs and all went out for Indian meal.
    I was cook for the next day so was chuffed with results , did leg of lamb- honey roast parsnips- roast potato-carrots.- mashed potato a few boiled carrots ( use water from carrots for gravy) mint sauce and yorkshire pud.All may I add were made from scratch none of this frozen stuff all washed down with some bubbly just to complete mothers day with the boys.

Mrs is still wrapped up under the duvet now so leaving her in peace image

now where did Noggy put the coffee pot image

• Options
    What a lovely day you all had Westie. Mmmmmimage

Morningimage

We are due workmen here today, to start building a base for a new oil tank .I am trying not to cringe at the mess they will make of the garden and not to think about it too much.

It's sunny here. A lovely change from yesterday's greynessimage

Happy Mondayimage
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Spence - sorry, could have told you she naps between shows. We found out on Friday! I didn't really know her, but she was good friends with my friends, have been out for drinks and stuff with her, but that was before she was famous.

((((poorly Mums)))

Yums - I can give you the local authority rates for pocket money. 15 year old £8.50 per week, 16 year old £12. Then you have to add the clothing allowance - which you have to give them but is supposed to pay for all clothing including school uniform. All in all we are supposed to shell out just short of £30 a week. 

Hope the garden survives Larry

Just had my back fettled again. My buttocks have had a firm pummelling.

Down to Devon in a bit for work, back on Wednesday. Play nicely.

Happy darkly new week - hope it brings some excitement and jollity your way

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Darkly??!

My computer has malevolent intentions. I typed sparkly.

honest!

• Options

YOu might have been right the first time DL

Morning All

Gran from hell back on phone this morning because she hasn't had anything in writing re where her spoilt brat of a grand daughter sits..............and d'you know what?  neither will she be!

I shall swerve the meeting this arvo - I honestly was going to go but the DG has to go to the vet at 5.30pm so can't be in a school meeting at 4.30pm.........not sorry mind you!!

Laters

• Options

morning all

well I am pleased to announce that I got flowers, chocs, wine and cards for mothers day - this is a shocker! Mr FF cooked the dinner but hardly a day of rest! still the washing and ironing mountain to climb. My Mum was on pretty good form so that makes things a bit less stressful.

Spence £5 a month! really? I'm sure I got £5 a week 35 years ago

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

I only ever got £1 a week and that was only on the weeks we visited my nan. Started work at 13 (in a sweet shop) to fund ever-growing desire for sweets image 

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Oh wow Far Far ! image

Exciting DL! What did you think of the show? Have I missed that post?? :-/

Oh dear Larry your poor garden! Perhaps Nogs will come & sort itimage

Yes I guess we've been lucky to get away with the pocket money situation! And they have to fund their phones from that!!!! Although I have told daught when she goes off to uni I'll pay a contract....but I might do that when she goes off to do A levels!! I too was working at 15 and can't remember getting pocket money, although I did have a comic every week!!
  • Options

Can't remember how much I got........

I do remember at 12 I had to buy my own flute though.........Daddy Podds bought it and I had to pay him back £1 per week out of my pocket money........when I got to half way because I hadn't missed a single repayment he let me off the rest image  Valuable lesson learnt image

When I asked for a pocket money rise at 15 I was told I'd have to go to work.......so ended up doing part time Thursday evenings and Saturdays at John Menzies in Edinburgh image  And it is so far back in time that they'd just started Sunday opening in Scotland (though not in England) and if we worked Sundays we got double pay image ..........everyone wanted to work Sunday image

Ahhh those were the days...........

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Podds, I do hope that the news re DG is good. Well done for getting out of the meeting, is it to do with the grandchild of Gran from Hell?

Westie, that sounds like a lovely meal (well, it would do if I didn't detest lamb, parsnips and mint image), I hope you didn't leave the kitchen in a mess afterwards like Mr Pippi!

Crikey DL, £30 a week to handover? image  I think I got a small amount of pocket money when I was a kid but I started work in a bakery (weekends, holidays and evenings after school) and I continued there until I started training at 17.

Sterkte Larry. Good news re the hip. As you say, bursitis should be much easier to deal with than OA.

Yums, SB has only gone to Berlin for a few days, he had some holiday to take and thought he might feel better if he was somewhere different for his birthday. He went yesterday morning and comes back on Thursday. It hasn't cost him too much as he got a cheap flight and is staying at a friend's flat (while friend is over in GB seeing family). He'll come down here next weekend.

Glad someone has the sunshine, it's grey, dull and cool here again.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

• Options

Evening all

today I have done a bit of painting, some dog awful brown shelving over the fireplace that is now white, I have spent more time making sure the GPO doesnt jump up there whilst it's still damp 

£5 spence? You are a harSH old woman, I think even I got more than that as a child. Not sure I could run a phone on that much

i have just had my first visitor enquiry .... It would appear I need to instruct the maid to get the spare room ready for a Devon landing. Much alcohol will be needed I suspect.

• Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭

Snaily is visiting, m...eldy?

Awww, bless SB. hope he's having a good time. 

DL, for heavens sake don't tell my two how much I'm supposed to hand over!

~~~~~DG~~~~~~~

Good to hear the trouble making granny is not going to get what she wants, Podds. 

I used to get £1 a week pocket money when I wasbut but my parents stopped it when they discovered I was spending it on ciggies. Sweet shop n paper round funded me. 

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Evening all. I am in the depths of Devon, in a little inn, in a little village, down some very narrow roads. Steak night resulting in a main meal for £6.50 - cor blimey governor.

Forgot to ~~~~~~~~DG~~~~~~~

I had a paper round where I had to knock on the door and collect payment. 4 years later one customer finally  summoned up the courage to ask if I was a boy or a girl.  I wasn't even wearing brogues in those days!! I also did babysitting as I got a bit older but was still too young - which is scary to think of these days - I was entirely irresponsible and incompetent. Nothing much changes.

Spence - went to see Women on The Edge a while back. Enjoyed it greatly. Liked the film too. Would describe it as a play with music rather than a musical and liked it for it's pared back feel.

FC sent home early from school today in tears. Think all the talk of mothers day made it all too unbearable.

Is there anything on the telly tonight?

• Options

Seemingly not ...

• Options

Where barts in Devon?

• Options

Epic weekend around here, as usual, I see!

Daffs, how did you like the windmill? Sounds a very Daffy place! And how did your mum get on at the parkrun? Volunteers, like Podds says, are the unsung heroes. 

Podds, sounds like you aren't feeling wobbly any more image The gran from hell would be enough to get anyone's blood pressure back up. No wonder the kids come out so self-centred. Fingers very crossed for the DG---when do you get the results? 

Meldy, glad the lurgy is abating AND that the neighbour is turning out to be such a solid citizen (i.e. a horse- and dog-lover!). 

Sluggie, it must be a relief to SM to be able to talk about the things that need to be discussed. Funny how women often can do it better than men. About 6 weeks before my mum died she and I had a very practical discussion about how to handle things after her death; relief to both of us, I think. Good that SB was in a new place for his BD, but it will be good to see him (and good for him to see you) next weekend. 

Pippi, that leg sounds pretty ouchy if even swimming is setting it off. Take it very gently. How was the folk club??

(((((Coco)))) wot everyone else said. You are a WAISter and we want to hear no nonsense about your slinking away. We would just have to chase after you and drag you back, which (I'm sure you agree) would be undignified and silly all roundimage) Big respect for that open-water swim, BTW!!

Westie, glad the lurgy is passing off, sounds like you, Scott and Tony had a great time in the end. And it seems there is no end to your talents---what a perfectly marvellous meal you made for Mrs. Westie!!! I'm wildly jealous, as Mr C can't boil an egg. I mean, he REALLY can't, so the idea of you cooking a whole roast dinner? Oh my....

Nogs, that sounds like a pretty amazing group of leaders at the cycle camp. No wonder you're inspired. (Ever thought of taking on that kind of job yourself? Seems to me you'd be perfect for it!) As for walking out of church----I have been SO tempted, so many times! If the sermon was really that bad, maybe your departure will at least start a discussion that might open this man's eyes. 

((((Snaily)))) It sounds absolutely horrible at work. Try to get time away as much as you can, you do want to emerge sane at the other end!!

((((JFF)))) It does help when people recognise how hard you're working, and a few signs of appreciation and a thank you are worth a lot (though as Sluggie says, a pay rise would be even better image) Sounds like a nice mothers day, and a bonus that your own mum was in good form. Hope you have the time to do a bit of chugging again now.

((((Amandax))) The NHS does seem to be a rotten place to work right now, especially since people like you, who really want to help people, feel they just can't give the care they want to. image Try not to let it get you down. 

Yums, how great that your Oz friend is coming back!! Like Sluggie, I remember how cut up you were when she left, will be ever so good to see her again! image

Larry, you'll be glad you sent that card to your mum, even if she didn't acknowledge it; one day she won't be there any more, and at least you will know you did your best. Sounds like good news on the hip (hopefully the injection will help a lot) and the hand. You HAVE been in the wars, haven't you? Hope the oil tank is in soon and the garden put back in to place without too much hassle.

Well, C1 is safely back from Algeria (hooray!). The 5 of us had dinner on Saturday at a vegetarian whole food place she found. C2 was VERY dubious at the i

• Options

oops, sorry: he was dubious at the idea of no meat, but with every course he kept saying, 'Wow, this is really good! I love it!'   Have booked for the 5 of us to go to the funeral next week: flying, then taking a taxi, turned out to be half the cost of the ferry. On a brighter note, C3 had a brilliant idea for Monty. He finds it hard to let go of the ball after fetching it, but if you take a SECOND ball, and show it to him, he totally fixates on that ball and the first one drops right out of his mouth, just like putting a coin in a vending machine. It's a hoot---and means I can keep him running for 15 minutes at a time, just firing one ball after the other. He loves it, and it's really good for him. I've been chugging along myself, slowly and humbly, but it's starting to feel a bit familiar again image

BTW, DL, how's FC6 getting on now? 

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

I am in Silverton - it's like Silverstone, only much smaller and no racetrack. Tomorrow I am off to Crediton and Tavistock regions.

Hello Chuggy - sounds like you're keeping busy and great news on the tennis ball vending machine.

I'm off to read my book

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Yes I would describe it like that too, hadn't realised it was a film as well.

I used to baby sit loads when I was actually quite young! Quite a worry really! I couldn't wait to eat the supper as soon as the parents left!!

You'll need LOADS of alcohol if Snaily is visiting!!! image

Dot has met Pam & Rocky who live down the road & where she'll be staying for a weekend at the end of the month image all went well image

And I've done some Kenyan hils image
  • Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Folk club was very enjoyable. Bit of a mixture. A couple of pretty good locals, plus a few elderly gents who didn't have the voices anymore (but could still play). A few good amateurs and a few very good ones - including one who was moderately famous in the 60s!

One of our alumni has slashed someone with a machete ...

• Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭

It wasn't me, pippiimage

• Options

Of course it wasn't Yums..........WAISTers are perfect

I've just come in and apparently following the meeting I didn't attend last night the Gran from hell now wants to send me a thank you card..........

Fortuitously for me this was told to me by the Head's PA in front of the Head image

I have no idea what's going on but I'll take it image

Right - Additional Science and Biology this morning....... image

Laters

• Options

morning all

Noggs I was very impressed with you walking out of church image

hoorah for a chugging Chuggy

Larry I agree you can only do what's right - sending a card etc, sad though

Pippi err will you be expanding on the machete tale?

I have plodded for 4 miles today - fist time in weeks I've managed over 3 on a school day image