Options

Running niggles

Has anyone else picked up more than one injury while training for the marathon,i have had shin splints,tight calves,sore knee and now a bruised feeling toe,none of them have been bad ,but it does seem one after the other

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    How much running were you doing before training for the marathon gtir?

'Shin splints' and tight calves are normally associated and can be a case of building up miles too quickly. Not a serious injury as you say, but pretty uncomfortable. Do you have regular massage? I found having a monthly massage while building up really helped to ease off any niggles!

The sore knee and bruised toe, I'm not sure about, but could be your shoes or pounding downhills?

Treat yourself to a sports massage, it's/your worth it! :o)
  • Options
    Yes i have had massages,but its just annoying,the mileage has stepped up as have the intervals,hopeing to have a niggle free run this afternoon
  • Options
    I have picked up shins splints (now recovered)tight calves(currantly having deep massage for this),bruised toe nail.
  • Options
    gtir

I have hurt my ITB and just getting over achilles tendonitis (nasty had me off running for 4 weeks) so I totally sympathise!!

Kiwichick
  • Options
    Great ,first run with no pain but i get two blisters from new socks lol
  • Options
    It might be worth checking your trainers. They recommend 6 months or 600 miles before you change them. I normally start getting niggles before 600 miles(400-500).

Trainers can look ok but the cushioning can be broken.
  • Options
    Started training for the marathon myself in January, marathon is in June this year. I was only a running about twice a week before that. Had shin splints and sore calves from building up to running 30plus miles per week. I am now running 30 miles a week but have added an extra days rest in and split up my training between road and running machine. I also purchased a new pair of shoes and all seems fine now. Plenty stretching before and after also helps. Latest RW mag gives a few hints and tips to help beat running injuries. Good luck with your marathon.
  • Options
    each wednesday at my club all we talk about are our injuries before we set off for hill reps!