Options

Weight training ideas

Hi,

I am starting to look at introducing weight training into my training plans and was wondering if anyone has and example training plans that they can share?

Thanks

Comments

• Options

Weight training specifically to help running or simply concurrently with running?

• Options
    AndyL78AndyL78 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I guess a combination of both, something that will support running and can be done alongside a running training plan.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

• Options

Starting Strength is good unless you have races planned, the first three months or so will use a lot of energy.

Greyskull LP is a bit less demanding, but similar.

What is your running training plan like ?

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

I just do bodyweight to improve my swimming a combination of squats, yoga, pull ups, press ups and planks. 

• Options

I use a trx type thing (or at least I used to - don't seem to be able to find the time at the moment), you can get cheap versions for a few quid.  Loads of options for exercises with an example plan here:  http://www.coretrainingtips.com/trx-workout-strengthen-whole-body-improve-fitness-30-minutes/  

• Options

Anyway OP, if you're still there. Since you asked about weight training, presumably you want to get stronger.

Workout A  Squat Press Deadlift. Warm ups pyramiding from empty bar to 90% of top set, approx five warm up sets. Work sets 3 sets of 5 except deadlift, one set of 5.

Workout B  Squat Bench Deadlift, sets and reps as A

When the deadlift slows alternate with the power clean. Or chin ups if you're over 40 and sane.

Increment 5kg big lifts 2.5 kg presses then reduce increments as necessary and buy a set of microplates. Deload 10% when stalled.

Twice or three times per week. This is Starting Strength, buy the book and also Practical Programming for Strength Training.

In the early weeks of this you won't be running next day and as you progress, the sessions can take up to 2 hours as you'll be needing rest in excess of 5 minutes between work sets.

Or 

Greyskull.

Workout A Press Squat 2 sets of 5 plus one set of AMRAP for each, warm up sets as SS

Workout B Bench Deadlift 2 of 5 plus AMRAP and AMRAP warm ups as above.

If you miss 3 of 5 three times, deload 10% miss one session of that lift and then go again. 

Increment 1kg presses and 2 kg big lifts.

Workouts are shorter and you get less hammered in the early stages. Progress is slower. 

Both of these will be good for a few months (age dependent) until progress gets hard, then switch to something like 531, Texas Method or another intermediate programme. As a runner, you are unlikely to get past intermediate. If you do you'll probably stop running.

If you aren't planning on strength training then just stand on a Bosu ball and do dumbbell curls until your arms feel tired and swing a medicine ball around for a bit. 

• Options

What about strength training for a woman?

Which exercises, how many sets/reps and how often per week?

Many thanks

• Options

Same. Move to five sets of three when it gets tough to make three of five.

• Options
    I found this post informative.