Options

Can you get ready for marathon...

Just got an option for the FLM.

However I have just recovered from knee injury that has prevented any training for five weeks.
I was up to 13/14 mile long runs prior to the injury, going well for a sub 4hr marathon. Also the base training was well established.

Mind wants to but is the body capable?

Comments

• Options
    It's 8 weeks, isn't it?
  • Options
    Trying to make it sound better than it is, mind trying hard to say yes!
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Years ago I broke a toe by dropping a car door on it (OUCH!) and couldn't run till mid Feb.
    Prior to the accident I could comfortably run a 1/2, and re-started by running another 1/2.

I concentrated on getting long runs in more than anything and went 13, 15, 17, 19, 15, 19, 13, 10 then FLM. But my other runs during the week were 6-8 only and I did only a total of 3 runs per week to allow recovery.

If you have got sufficient base then its possible

I survived. You can do it too!
  • Options
    i think you can, if you are realistic about your finishing time

lots of long runs
  • Options
    You wont have lost much fitness in 5 weeks - I had 4-5 months out last year and set a 10k pb within 2 months of coming back. I know a 10k isn't a marathon but even so you should be OK - you'll at least get back to where you were.
  • Options
    Agree with the posts above and very important that you stay realistic.

However, after London last year I took a few weeks off and just kept things ticking over and letting niggles settle. Ran 4 days a week for all of July and August but made sure every bit of it was good quality stuff and then did plenty of racing. Also did cross training and weights. Come september I set new pbs for 5K, half marathon and 10K on consecutive weekends having only restarted full training 9 weeks before the 5K. Two weeks after the 10K I broke 3 hours for the first time in Berlin. Although it was about13 weeks from start to Berlin, I stopped increasing once I started the racing sequence and only did 2 "keep things ticking over runs" each week

Go for it but remember, smart training!
  • Options
    I ran my first marathon with 5 weeks training, having only run one 10k race previously. I had never run more than 10 miles and usually only 5 before those 5 weeks. The training was pretty intensive in those 5 weeks, but it got me round in a tad over 4 hours.
  • Options
    If you have got a decent base then Id go for it definately - reavaluate your aims and go from there - if two weeks into the training you find yourself adapting well then maybe start to train heavier.

Whatever you do dont dive headfirst back into heavy training.

the bottom line is 9 weeks is long enough to get yourself standing on the start line in a state of fitness that means you will be able to enjoy the event.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    I had one of my best marathons on minimal training which started 7 weeks before and never got too hard, starting from a mediocre base. I finished less than 15 minutes off my pb, and it's still my third-fastest (out of 6).

I did two long-ish runs each week, with lots of rest between each. Then in the race I took it really easy in the first 16 miles, then picked up the pace a bit nearer the end. Obviously, that's the secret for any marathon, but especially so if you haven't prepared so much.
  • Options
    Wow this has cheered me up no end.
    I only started back six weeks ago and was worried that wouldn't be enuff for FLM.
    Mind you last year I got round Edinburgh Marathon (slowly) after only two months-ish training. And that was hilly.
    Good luck Jon! You can do it!