Options

Running Vs X Trainer

Does anyone have any idea how using a x trainer compares to running? I'd like to know how a 2 hour run is comparable to a 2 hour x training session and what your are missing out on in training terms?

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't do a 2 hour session on a X trainer, that would be way too boring. Mix it up with bike and stepper and rower.

And not sure if its a case of missing out. Obviously, its not gonna help your running as much as running would, but on a day off, it's better than doing nothing and no impact on the legs.

My wife's physio hates the X trainer though, he says it brings him lots of patients. I'm surprised at that.
  • Options
    I've done nearly 2 hours on a X-trainier when I was preparing for a marathon and couldn't run. I will agree that I was bored to tears...but I was also knackard. Great thing as if your interested in keeping a steady heart rate its a doddle.
  • Options
    I use it a lot because I get shin splints so easily. I don't mind the boredom if it produces results. Why couldn't you run count?
  • Options
    Use a kettlebell myself for cross-training - great fun!
  • Options
    Agree with cougie to mix it up a bit usuing other forms of cross trainng.

Have had to do a lot of cross training and weights in prep for two of my marathons due to pelvic injuies that limited my running. Got on OK and still do 2 lots of cross training and 2 of weights every week. Only run 3-4 days a week and average about 40 miles a week over a 14 week build up to a marathon, but still managed sub 3 hours in Berlin in september. Just make sure that the running you are able to do is quality over quantity

Good Luck

R