Options

Shoe mileage

Hi what is the ideal mileage to have on a pair of shoes before a marathon,im aiming to have about 250 on them is this too much ??

Comments

• Options
    Most reputable running shoe shops reckon on between 300-500 miles. So 250 should be nicely run in (unless it's 250 completely off-road backwards up steep scree slopes, and otherwise generally worn out!)
  • Options
    250 before hand is fine - unless of course you have a tendancy to destroy shoes because your heavy footed or weighty or something.

Or like Kath says you have been using them in extreme conditions.
  • Options
    Change them when they feel 'tired'.
  • Options
    This is a good question actually. Just looked at my plans, and if I do even 80% of my runs - I'll be over 300 miles for London.
    I think I should get another pair on the go. Just in case.

Now should I stick with my trusty NB854's or what ? Hmmmmm.
  • Options
    Or when your knees start hurting
  • Options
    I love my NB854's, they never seem to get dirty, no matter how soggy the ground is.
  • Options
    Kath - go and get a new pair and put them side by side ! You'll be shocked at the difference ! I got mine new out of the box a few weeks ago and was embarassed by just how clean they were. I'm getting happier with them now though, a little less gleaming. ;-)
  • Options
    Are painful knees really a sign of the need of new shoes? I thought I was hurting due to increased mileage.

Always happy if I can buy my way out of pain .
  • Options

if the soles start to collapse slightly which they do over time or the shoes twist in the midsole it will twist your knee and it will hurt if you carry on running on them.

Youd be a fool to let it get to that stage mind.

Mind you if you over train you will get prone to knee injuries regardless.
  • Options
    I have been known to be slightly foolish from time to time - better check when I get home.
  • Options
    Best to keep a log of all the milage you cover in each pair of shoes, it's amazing how quickly it builds up especially if training for a marathon. Don't wait for an injury to promt it.

I introduced a 2nd pair of Mizuno Legends after the 1st pair had about 200 miles on them and you could definately feel the difference, the older ones were still ok but had obviously lost some of their springiness
  • Options
    As a result of this thread, I have just been out to replace my existing NBs. I was given some new advice as I paid for them. He said I shouldn't run more than 3 miles in them for the first 3 runs. New one on me? He said it will extend the life of the shoe. Never done this in the past - any thoughts?
  • Options
    Never heard of that one rod. Maybe there is something in it - dunno.

I always do a short 7 miler or something when I first go out in new shoes just to make sure they dont rub or anything before I commit myself to a long run in them mind.
  • Options
    oh well - they're going to get some threshold treatment tonight whether they like it or not.
  • Options
    The best way to find out if you need new shoes is to keep running in them until your achilles or calf muscles tear. Oh no, sorry - my mistake, that's the wrong way to find out, although it is what I did last year and am still suffering.
  • Options
    Allow me to bore you with my obsessive shoe monitoring methods.

I have three pairs of normal road shoes on the go at once, the newest pair are used only in the gym on the treadmill, which means shorter than normal runs to break them in. The oldest pair are discarded after 500 miles, sooner if my feet start to feel the impact.
    I mix makes and models and alternate wearing them, this is so my feet get used to slightly different stresses and it isn't a tragedy if a favourite model is discontinued. It also means I can look for ones that suit my foot type in the sales as I don't exclude any make, apart from Adidas which I think are without exception the stiffest most uncomfortable trainers I have ever come accross.
    I always buy last years colours in the sales so I can afford not to run them into the ground and myself into an injury.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Top tips, Monique. It's a good idea not to get too used to a particular make/model, as when they 'upgrade' it it may not feel the same as the older version. My first pair of Nike Kantaras were SO comfortable that I wore them well past their sell-by date before getting a pair of the new upgraded Kantaras. These have just never been as comfortable as the old ones, for some reason - they're only now beginning to feel vaguely comfortable after <checks log> 366 miles. May as well get my next pair of shoes now to get them broken in before the marathon in April.