Options

Avila Castles Trail

Think it has got lost somewhere down belows other threads, so let´s make it bounce back here in this ultra section.

As some of you already know (Plodding Hippo´s and someone elses´ pre-entries are already filed in Spain), we organise this 30 miler (more a 45k) that connects two castles and the world known Avila city walls.

we are reaching the 200 entry limit for this first edition, and there are still some pre-entries which I´d like to keep for runners overseas (people travelling and not to locals I mean).

The basics are at http://www.correrytirar.com/index2.php, just scroll down to get the English version of the race regulations. Do not care about "entry limit 100 runners", for it has been arranged a bigger capacity hotel for the runners´ dinner (compulsory partying if you inscribe). Race description and so, also there.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, click on the 45km banner, right handside.

You get to the course map there (with some pics from the castles). More heritage and excuses to travel there at www.avilaturismo.com

Enough? :)
  • Options
    Luis, this sounds like a Spanish (castillian) version of the Black Mountains Roundabout here in Wales. Sounds really quite interesting........... I am very fond of inland Spain, as I have completed 4 Caminos de Santiago since 1999, on different routes. The nearest I got to Avila was in 2001 when I passed through Salamanca on the Via de la Plata, walking from Sevilla to Santiago via Astorga. One problem I have always experienced in Spain is the absence of a national map reference system like the OS or its French equivalent.On this event, what is the position regarding navigation? Is some sort of map supplied, or a route description? or is the whole 45km route waymarked? Or are you just expected to know the way? What about accommodation in Avila? Any further information would be welcomed. Cheers, John.
  • Options
    John, I shall deliver by email some extra details right today, but to answer some.
    - Ord. Survey maps in Spain. The Geographic Institute edits a useful series of 1/50.000 scale maps. These are the ones everyone using, from which the course map has been drafted in www.correrytirar.com/avila.php (see bottom of page) but...
    - runners will have a fully marked route in the Castles. Besides, you will get a course map (no roadbook, though). It is the best way to give runners a whole idea of where are they at any point.
    - Accomodation is provided for runners. Cuatro Postes Hotel supplies participants double rooms per 30euro+vat (B&B). It is a 4star hotel and the rooms are splendid. It´ll be the race headquarters for us, and it is 400m from the finish line (also the meeting point for the start). Our post-race dinner will be there too.

Travelling there, if you are used to, is quite easy. Trains link the 110km Madrid-Avila trip. I try to get space for foreign runners but we are getting very close to the 200 limit! Hope to see you here.
  • Options
    JC, I cannot find your email address.
  • Options
    Luis, I've just seen this and would love to do it. I've been trying to learn Spanish for the past year and have been trying to run for the past thirty so it should be a good event all round for me. Are there any entries left and would it be possible to bring my wife along as a spectator (maybe I can talk her into running it).

Anyone else fancy it?
  • Options
    Man, was getting some funny marathon experience down there at Sevilla.

No problem if you send me details to my email address (I already have 300 emails downloaded now and perhaps yours is here...)

Any FAQs to luis@correrytirar.com . Your wife, if runner too, will also have an entry. Guaranteed.
  • Options
    Luis, Thank God you are safe. Thought you'd got lost on a long run. I have sent you an email but if you don't have it let me know. I'm trying to talk wife into doing it with me but she's not keen as she doesn't speak any Spanish whereas I am almost fluent . . . . I wish.
  • Options
    pff.. who needs Spanish speaking when you are panting uphill... hum ok. Yes, I received your unsilenceable email, btw.
  • Options
    Is there an entry form I ned to fill in? How much is the entry fee? Where can I read more about the race?
  • Options
    Sorry you were not in yet when the last Newsletter was sent.

Race details.

Entry fee 20 € including transportation to startline, and post-race dinner, +runner facilities (hope to arrange definitive massage and others)

No entry form, in due course I will email pre-entrants with details and bank account where to pay fee.

When paid, you are given a code to book at Hotel Cuatro Postes. That is your reservation code in case you want to book runners´ accomodation pack. Unless last minute disasters happen, it is 30€+VAT double room, B&B. Hotel is 400m finishline.
  • Options
    Muchos gracias. Quiero hacerlo ahora.
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    Luis, Maps. Are not better the ones from the Army's service. I used them when a boy scout and there were usually more updated than the National Geography Institute.

(talking about 17 years ago)
  • Options
    Maps, Jose, are refreshed every 5 to 8 years. And the last ones that were updated are beginning 2000s by the Geographic Institute. Army is using late 90s, I guess. But no problem, as our trails combine history and countryside dating from the 3rd C to the hype days of castles (16th C).

ps. Still smashed by the terrorist attack which has hit Madrid this morning (talking about 190 casualties and 600 wounded). Promise to post this week
  • Options
    Within some days, as received by your emails, the bank account to pay the inscription fee will be available. The 200 entry limit was well overlapped, but some casualties and frightened runners will give way to waitinglisters
  • Options
    Inscription period started. All interested and preinscribed have an email notification.

AvCastles05 will open entries just after the event. No limit then (this year 200 runners).
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    i've been to correrytirar.com and it looks a very nice run. Just a bit more than a marathon, :)) maybe next year.

good luck everybody doing it this year and enjoy the local cuissine, specially the T bone steaks. yummy!!
  • Options
    Luis, Haven't got my email notification. Any idea why not?
  • Options
    Man, your last mail was (as I got it) weeks ago. Fwd it please to luis@correrytirar.com
  • Options
    The Man that couldn't be stopped has done it again. He ans Mrs have got an entry straight from the waiting list!
  • Options
    Entries (real ones) are picking up fast.Of the 200 limit, we have confirmed about 45 already. Date limit to pay inscription fee is 31st May, and then "waiting listers" will be picked.

RW forumites here are almost done. Some of them do not react yet but...
  • Options
    Moe and Mrs are already inside. Numbers 86 and 87.
  • Options
    Dave Newcomb also in. More brits? Plodding Hippo?...I still wait for some Croupiers to confirm and ... time runs.

Next Thu, meeting for logistics (Red Cross, road help, the army, Town Halls, drinks, accomodation...). Keep you posted.

Remember it is 45km (a 30 miler) combining mountain trail with broad dirt tracks. 200 entry limit. 6th Nov 2004.
  • Options
    lads and peeps, here the scaring PROFILE and provisional entrants list (check you are there)

<url>http://www.correrytirar.com/index2.php?page=showcomments&id=79 </url> here
  • Options
    A website (ESP/ENG) has been set for the trail. Info about profile, late entries and race regulations, pics, a download area and the email list. Still some entries to cover the 200 limit. Be fast!.

click on

http://es.geocities.com/castillosdevila
  • Options
    better designed, with info in English.

Guys, did you check the REAL excel race profile thing?
  • Options
    Man, Moe, Vamp, Chris ... you four britons over our entry list. FRESH BREEZE is coming up to our race course.

Maxs do not go over 14 celsius. Mins fall to 3 and 4 celsius. Snow limit is now at about 5800ft and this implies that any rain in the valley is snowfall at the very upper side of the course.

So we are definitely into autumm and no sunny spain blablabla will come up again til far in April. Well, yes, there is another option. ICY COLD SUNNY DAYS.
  • Options
    and....

AVILA CASTLES 2005 PRE-ENTRY LIST FOR BRITONS already OPEN:
    -----------
    Pudsley Bear
    Moe
    Vamp
    Man Mandelson could not silence
    ..?