Options

Step back weeks

Have been training for Tewkesbury half marathon (May) and have made good progress in terms of building up the mileage.

Typically doing:

2 X 4m runs per week
1 x hill session
1 x long run

Have been extending long run by 1m per week and and am now up to 10 miles. However, have read about 'step back weeks' on a different thread. Should I be working 3 weeks hard, 1 week easy?

Don't want to get injured, but want to continue to progress with my running. I don't seem to be feeling tired or getting any injuries (touch wood) - any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Yes

The general consensus is every fourth week, you cut back on mileage and intensity.
    This allows your body recover, and able to handle the next time.

If you carry on without a step back week its like piling building blocks on top of each other, they look fine at first, but eventually they will tumble to the ground.

Sorry about the strange analogy (sp) but that is the gist of it.

Good luck with the half marathon, let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Hi B2

I second what Pammie says. It's a well known fact that the body adjusts to the stresses of your training and gets stronger during the rest time.

On my step back weeks I focus more on my cross training ( cycling, weights) and stretching.

Happy Running,

MK
  • Options
    Thanks Pammie,

Will incorporate this into my plan now!

Would you suggest cutting back the distance on all my runs during the 4th week or just the long run?

Also how much do i need to cut back on intensity - maybe run each mile 1 min slower than usual paces?

• Options
    I would reduce the length of the long run every 4th week definitely. you won't lose any fitness.
    you could even have an extra day off (from running) though some peeps round here don't have it in their vocabulary.
  • Options
    Can't believe someone's asking "me" for advice must be spending too much time on here!!!!!