Options

10 seconds

Had a lovely big roast this evening for tea. Very tasty but still needed to get a run in afterwards. Ate at 6ish went out for 8ish.

Running along nicely until the 5th mile when I start getting a stitch. As I pass the 5 mile point I glance at my watch, 33 mins but the stitch is slowing me down.

A quick calculation and OMG I'm on for sub 40 minutes for the first time ever !! So then it's eyeballs out push push push whilst feeling extrememly uncomfortable. The stich is holding me back but it's a long term goal of mine to do sub 40 for 6miles/10k.

The stich fades at about 5.5 miles and a last mighty effort see's me cross the line at 40:10:38.

ARGGGghhh 10 seconds over. If I'd just had a few roast potatoes less or cut back on the peas and carrots I'd be sitting here super happy. A pb though so I'm happy but a frustrated at being so close happy.

Comments

• Options
    Moral of the story.... go for run first, eat after! It was the weight of the meal that slowed you down... you're not used to carrying an extra 5 pounds!!
  • Options
    Normally yes, a very good idea. Only last night I didn't get the choice. Otherwise a find a 20 minute walk after eating helps bring the digestion time down(again I couldn't do this)

oh well there's always tomorrow!
  • Options
    I normally eat just before going out running. I'm starving when I get back from work and have to eat, then go straight out on club run. I'd feel too weak to run if I didn't have something.
    I think you get used to it after a bit.
  • Options
    Maxticate - perhaps it wasn't a problem eating the roast dinner? Maybe the roast gave you the energy to run that bit fast, and it was just bad luck, the sports drink you had after or something else that gave you stitch?
    Personally, after a large Little Chef Olympic breakfast before the National XC this mroning, i ran rather well (for me!!)