Options

Wheels Coming Off

Guysh:

I'm starting to get problems sticking to my training regime, and I'm not really enjoying my running at the minute.

I got sleep at all Tuesday night because my job is making me sooooooo stressed. I went for a run yesterday and now my body just feels a bit beaten up to say the least. I'm meant to go for a tempo run tonight, but there's no chance of that, I'd do myself a mischief.

I missed a couple of sessions last week because I had to go to Glasgow because of work. I went running on the first night, couldn't the next night because I was tired from the 10 hour journey up there, then I went out and got hammered with everyone on the course that night, which has not helped my body at all.

I feel like I'm still fairly on course with my training, but that it's starting to slip a bit. I think I shall have to shift the tempo run to tomorrow (which is meant to be a recovery run), have a rest on Saturday (no run planned then), then on Sunday I have a 20 miler planned - eek! I have to do it, it will be my second 20, I know I'll be alright. I might also work out with teh kettlebell tonight as a bit of low impact exercise.

I think my general point is that my horrible job is interfering with my running because I'm too stressed to get proper rest. I've noticed a few more aches and pains recently, especially in my feet. Nothing that doesn't wear off, but it's a bit worrying.

Not a happy camper! :-(

Comments

• Options
    Bryan
    Lifes like that

Take it easy for a few days, PLEASE
    or you wont be fit for owt

youve put in the miles, a few easy dyas isnt going to ruin things
  • Options
    I think I am going to have to take it easy.

I feel shattered. :-(
  • Options
    Bryan, sometimes work/life pressures interfere but it can't always be helped so there's no point beating yourself up about it. The big clue is that you say you're not enjoying your running at the moment so it sounds as tho' your training regime is becoming just another pressure added to everything else. Rest up & step back for a bit, get back onto an even keel & then try to put more flexibility into your regime if the work pressures still haven't eased off, perhaps focussing on key sessions. (Then get a better job you can fit your training round if it still clashes!)
  • Options
    A short break from running can reduce the tiredness quite quickly sometimes.

Perhaps not all the aches are not tiredness related - foot pain could be a specific shoe problem?

Psychologically I think it helps to forget missed sessions, don't leave them hanging over you, and certainly don't try to fit them back in to your plan to catch up lost time.

Good luck
    FG (tired too)
  • Options
    oops - double negative - told you I was tired.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.

Today's and tomorrow's session have now been consigned to the bin.

I will work with the kettlebell on Friday if I feel OK, then do maybe a 3 mile livener on Saturday morning to prepare for my 20 miler.

I think my aches and pains are down to my body being run down rather than a specific running problem but I'll continue to monitor them.

I'll stick my feet in an ice bath tonight and read my oceanography book, bliss. A good indicator of how my body feels is that I usually don't get spots yet at the moment I have 4 or 5 on my face!

I'm a bit run-down, methinks.
  • Options
    Im no expert but check your diet to, are you eating enough carbs etc etc (im sure someone in the know can elaborate on this).

Sometimes its good to pull back for a few days, dont worry youll feel better in no time.

Good luck
  • Options
    Feeling much better today.

Did nothing yesterday, got hold of the kettlebell tonite and had a killer 40 minute workout.

The Ewok Army is back on the march!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice all.

Oh and my body isn't aching now either, so everything's A-OK.

:-)
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Bryan, sympathies. Sometimes I marvel that we manage to even attempt to fit running into our already overcrowded lives. When you're up against it at work, something has to give. If you're not sleeping properly then running is going to just break down what little reserves you do have left.

My advice is to be kind to yourself. Don't beat yourself up if you miss a few sessions - you're already on track from what I can see. Worrying about missed runs is only going to add to your stress.

If you don't already, try making a list each day of all the things you have to do the next. Break these down further into 'absolutely unavoidable', 'could wait' and 'if ignored long enough it'll go away'. Then do the absolutely unavoidable tasks - and get the worst ones out of the way first. Then if time allows, do some of the 'could wait' tasks. Bin the others.

Planning like this will focus your thoughts, and hopefully will free your mind to sleep at night, because you won't be worrying whether you've forgotten something.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I had a bit of an ITBS prob yesterday (legs don't like cambers at all), but it will clear up soon.

Running's back on track, shame about the weather.

The less said about work the better ... how I long to leave!