Options

Plyometrics - A good idea?

From what I’ve read on the subject plyometric training (which is not a lot I have to admit), it is a form of high intensity training used to increase strength, and in particular explosive strength.

I’ve read that potential benefits for the endurance runner include a more efficient foot strike and release, reducing contact time with the ground and allowing a far stronger push off into the next stride. Other stated benefits include general strength, strong core, etc..

However the subject appears to be surrounded in controversy, with many people condemning plyometric training on the basis that it is inherently unsafe, and that the risk of injury far outweighs any potential benefits, many stating that the same benefits can be gained by safer more traditional methods of strength training.

I am considering trying to include a few of the less extreme exercises into my schedule. I don’t wish to get heavily into it at the moment because I still need to concentrate on more fundamental aspects of my training. However a gentle introduction may be useful, should I wish to progress it further in the future, and a little can’t hurt ….. or can it?

Has anyone used plyometics, were they worth while, how did you fit them into your schedule, and can anyone recommend a good book dedicated to plyometrics?

Comments

• Options
    sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    Speaking to a sub 4 miler / 2.11 marathoner the other day and he recommends this as the most beneficial form of strength training for running.
    There is some plyometrics exercises on www.onrunning.com
    Try starting with high knees, bounding, butt kicks then progress.
    Best to do these on the grass.
  • Options
    sven27, I'll give these a go, and doing them on grass is something I hadn't thought of - good point. I've just taken a look at the website - some interesting stuff on there. Thanks for your help..
  • Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭
    I know some people who did plyometrics, not for running, for Basketball. They jumping ability and quickness really increased. They used "jumpsoles" for their plyometric training.