Options

The Wall

What does it feel like when you 'hit the wall'? Only I think I may have hit it yesterday, and if so I want to know that's as bad as it gets ...

For the first time, after yesterday's long run (17 miles) I had my doubts about whether I'll get round the full 26.2. It was probably my worst run ever, and I'm not totally sure why. I probably didn't leave enough time between breakfast and my run (about an hour and a quarter), and consequently battled with a severe stitch for almost the entire run. Every time I got it under control, it took just a couple of sips of water to set it off again. By the end of the run my stomach felt oddly full and I felt a bit sick, although all I had was a few jelly babies en route to give me some much-needed energy in the latter stages. I may also have been a little dehydrated before I started as I was busy on Saturday and was conscious of not drinking much during the day, although I did try to redress this during the evening - was this too late? I could barely move by the time I finished the run (also probably started out too hard, as the first time I looked at my watch was around 6 miles and it had only taken me 48 minutes) and felt like death for most of the day afterwards. Admittedly weather conditions didn't help - howling, icy wind in my face most of the time, horizontal sleety rain ... I don't normally stop during my long run but did so a few times yesterday to consume jelly babies and water. I have never reached the point where I am so exhausted I just want to burst into tears, but that's how I felt by the end yesterday - it took every ounce of willpower not to blub, and to finish the full 17 miles when I could have taken a short cut at about 15.

But apart from leaving more time between breakfast and my run, and taking things a bit slower at the outset, I don't know what else I could have done differently. Any other strategies for avoiding feeling like this again would be most welcome!

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like you did very well in nasty conditions.

Stitches are funny things, and I've seen many explanations for them.

You do get used to the runs though. Next time will be so much easier, and set off a bit slower.

I don't think you did hit the wall. When that happens you lose all energy and are so hungry you'd eat a passing cat if you could.
  • Options
    i could easily have eaten a passing cat towards the end of my long run yesterday

in fact i think they could tell as they kept running away from me!

minks - it certainly sounds like you ran too soon after breakfast. i try and leave a good 2 hours after eating but people are very different on this and i've heard some say they need even longer.

its amazing how much energy a headwind can take out of you too.
  • Options
    Oh dear, I did warn you Minkin about this sort of thing. "The Wall" is a catastrophic slowing down on a long run until you HAVE to walk. (If the second half of a marathon takes more than 10 minutes longer than your first half then I think that's due to a wall getting in the way.)

It can be caused by running out of energy stores (usually in the last 6 miles or so of the marathon) or running too fast on your long run. Sounds like the latter to me. 48 mins. for 6 miles ! Thats a sub 3.30 marathon and that is a tough ask for your first attempt. I think this a valuable lesson for you and just in time!

Realistically assess your fitness and set your long run speed so that you can comfortably finish. For your 3.45 target (which I still say is over optimistic based on your HM time) you'll need 8.30 min miles on the day. Therfore you should be training at 9.00 min miling or slower.

I said I'd follow your progress but feel the need to offer advice on this occasion while there's still time to rectify the problem.

Sincerely,

TSB

• Options
    Isn't "hitting the wall" the same as "bonking"?
  • Options
    What is Minks HM time?
  • Options
    I have had experience of hittin that wall and I don't think you did either Minks (well done for the 17 miles tho!!).

Like cougie says, when you hit the wall, there's nothing left in the tank and it's usually too late to do anything about it. It's a really horrible feeling, especially in a race, coz you can't run...simple as that.

It sounds to me like you had a few things going on that didn't help. Like M said, try and leave two hours after breakfast before you run. Don't under estimate how much the stitch problem would have distracted you from running well...your breathing will have been disrupted, your running style will not be as efficient and worst of all you're stressed due to the pain of it.

I do try to drink plenty of water the day before and make sure I don't start the run thirsty, it doesn't sound like that was too much of the problem for you tho...the night before is not too late to get the fluids up.

I might be wrong but it strikes me as the main thing was the worry and stress going on inside your head and that can be so powerful...it's no wonder you were close to tears. Every runner gets a case of the 'doubts'...running between 10 and 20 miles and feeling that it's going to be impossible to do the extra miles on the day to finish the race. You have to ignore those doubts because on the day of the race you will be ready....believe it.

What you're doing is training...the race will be very different because it's already set in your mind that you are running 26.2 miles. Right now you are training your body for the endurance.

Are you getting enough rest in your schedule? Overtraining can be as much of a problem as undertraining and can take affect you emotionally too.

What marathon are you doing?
  • Options
    Minks, I don't think that was the wall. I think I found the wall during FLM 2002. I found that I just couldn't run, mind was all over the place, and the hunger. I can't even remember much of the race after about 18 miles. It hit me mentally and physically.

I blame that horrid orange drink, I drank far more than I had ever done in training, before and during the early stages of the race. I think all that sugar caused a huge high then a massive low in my levels.

You should be taking these long runs easy, about 30-90 secs per mile slower than race pace, no matter how easy this may feel at the start.
  • Options
    Well done! you did it and you could've taken a short cut but you didn't. It doesn't sound to me like you hit the wall, mainly because you carried on running. It just sounds like you just had a bad run in uncomfortable conditions, but what do I know. WELL DONE again!
  • Options
    I hit the wall once in a marathon, and didn't realise I was weaving all over the place. Some kind soul grabbed a wet sponge and squeezed it over the back of my neck. I almost hit him at the time, but it "woke me up" and I continued and got to the finish.
    My mind and body had both gone, but before that I was OK.

You had a bad run, in very bad conditions, but you avoided that cut off, so you have the mental will power to complete the marathon.
    Well done.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Looks like the consensus is that I didn't hit the wall. If hitting it feels worse than I felt yesterday, I don't ever want to go there! I never reached the point where I HAD to walk because there was just no energy left, and I certainly didn't experience feelings of confusion or disorientation - so I guess it was just a 'bad day' caused by a combination of contributory factors.

TSB, I didn't intend to run fast, either at the outset or at all. It just kind of happened. It was probably partly because it was so windy and didn't feel like I was moving at all, so I subconsciously put more effort into it. That and the desire to get it over with and get indoors!

My long run pace has quickened in recent weeks but I've still felt fine - I agree I went off too quickly yesterday from the point of view of the conditions, but have been running other long runs at around this pace and have been fine. I obviously slowed down quite a bit in the second half of the run as my final time was 2:28 (8:45) for the 17 miles - so a classic case of pacing misjudgement.

I take on board your comments re. my "dream" 3:45 goal, but I was a lot less fit when I ran the half marathon (time 1:51) than I am now. I still think 3:45 is achievable provided I get my pacing sorted out. I took your advice before and cut my schedule from 5 runs a week to 4, so I don't ignore every piece of advice I'm given!

Trinity - thanks, I definitely need to leave longer between breakfast and running, and you're right, the stitch did play a big part as I was conscious of it the whole time and couldn't regulate my breathing at all. When I finished the run, I also found that for a few minutes I literally couldn't breathe at all, which was really frightening and almost like I imagine an asthma attack must be (although I'm not an asthmatic). Panic attack? (I'm doing FLM by the way).

Demeter, I normally only drink water when I run (and yesterday was the first time I've actually taken water on a long run, as I've been fine without until now but felt the need to start practising). Yesterday I drank water and ate jelly babies. They were OK for energy but perhaps were the cause of feelings of nausea and bloatedness towards the end of the run?

And thanks for making me feel better about this - all I could see yesterday was the negative, but now I'm looking at it from the positive angle: yes, it was bad - but I still did 17 miles in awful weather and didn't give up!
  • Options
    Bryan - yes - hitting the wall is the same as bonking.
  • Options
    Minkin,

Whatever the consensus you had to stop. Something got in your way. That something was your speed. You can cover the 26.2 as long as you get the speed right. If you go off too fast you will crash and burn like so many others before and loads to come on 18 April.

You only half listen to my advice (and why not its free!) as I note you are mixing Hal's novice midweek mileage with his intermediate weekend mileage. So take Hal's advice - don't! Hal knows what he's talking about. An 8 mile run the day before a 17 miler is asking for trouble on your base mileage.

Your dream will become reality as long as you are realistic and this might mean marathon 2. Marathon 1 should be for fun and leave you wanting to do it over and over!

Take care,

TSB
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Cheers TSB - but I'm actually not mixing Hal's schedules in the way you think. I only do one run on the weekend and that's the long run. But it's the long run from the Intermediate 1 schedule. The three runs I do during the week are from the Novice schedule.

So last week I ran Tuesday (4 miles), Thursday (8 miles), Friday (4 miles) and Sunday (17 miles). Rested Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.

So I do listen. And you're right - I feel much better on the 4 day a week schedule than on 5 days - something my body wasn't ready for. I know I went off too fast yesterday - but that wasn't the only reason things didn't go well. The weather and insufficient digestion time also contributed. Maybe without those other two factors the speed wouldn't have been a problem - maybe it would. Whatever, until yesterday training had been going fantastically well and perhaps I was beginning to feel I was invincible. Now I know I'm not - lesson learned.
  • Options
    Minkin,

Right, I see. Yeah, running is a leveller. And yes, you should be saying to yourself: "What can I learn from what happened?" No amount of mutual support group therapy can substitute for an honest assessment of your own fitness level. There's still a long way to go. Be patient, do your runs at a sensible pace and improvements will come.

Over and out,

TSB
  • Options
    Minks, maybe it's a good time to get the old HRM out again :)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    If you're going to make mistakes then training is the best time to do them. It's a learning process and believe me Minks you'll learn so much from you first marathon that nobody can tell you about you just have to experience it!

Stay positive and believe in yourself, but IMHO I believe for a first marathon it's always wise to be on the conservative side with time!

For instance when I did my first marathon my half marathon time was 1.39 so I targetted a 4hr marathon. Then I never worried over what pace I was running in training I just went out and did the long runs at a comfortable pace with no watch. I did no speed work either. I had my best marathon in terms of no pressure and crossed the ling in 3.36 way inside my target, but I honestly would've have been happy just to finish that day-you will to!

Good luck!
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    I hit the wall during he taunton marathon. Took 40 minutes to cover 2 miles and the only thing I can remember about that period of time is that trying to run with my eyes closed seemed a good idea because it didn't seem to hurt quite so much. LOL (now)

Sems to me like you were havig a crap day, it happens. Just leave a little longer after eating and pace yourself.

You can do it,you had enough guts to press on and do the extra two, just stick to it.

good luck
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hilly, I'm not doing any speed work either. I'm just getting in the miles. I have noticed though that my pace over the past few weeks has really been creeping up: not intentionally, but especially over the shorter runs my increased fitness may be the reason.

In my mind I'm targeting a 4-hour marathon, which I believe I can do. Deep down, I'd really love to make 3:45. I know that for my first attempt, I should be concentrating on just enjoying the experience and finishing in one healthy piece, rather than setting goals. I'm trying not to put myself under pressure by aiming for a time but I know that I won't be able to help feeling ever so slightly disappointed if I go over 4 hours. Just me, I guess.

Mak's friend - that sounds dreadful. I hope I don't experience that level of pain! Well done for getting through it!