Options

Marathon Training help!

Hi everyone,
Training for Edin marathon on 13 June. Up to 14 miles on a long run which takes us about 2hrs40, 6 miles intermediate (1hr), 4 miles recovery (40mins) and hillwork when I can manage it. I'm worried that this isn't enough. We've worked out a schedule to reach 20 miles on the long run a few weeks before the event but we're not doing the 6 sessions and dozens of miles which seem to be on schedules!
Also, can people recommend effective methods of measuring distance rather than GPS (too pricey) or string! I bought a manual thingie but I'm not convinced I'm working it out correctly according to the map scale and am worried that I'm not measuring correctly.
JCF

Comments

• Options
    Hi, I'm a beginner, so can't help with the training bit - I'm faithfully following my FLM training guide.
    for route measuing though, I'm using www.map24.co.uk - bit fiddly, but seems quite accurate.
    hope that's useful.
  • Options
    Don't worry JCF, it sounds like you're doing fine. The long run is the most important thing to fit and you've clearly got that sorted with your schedule. It's great that you're managing to fit in the odd hill-session too though.
    I did my first marathon last year and ran 3-4 times a week, pretty much following the plan in the link below. You really don't have to be running every day - this is only for the more experienced whose bodies have got used to that kind of punishment! Remember that resting properly is also a very important part of marathon training - that means quality sofa-time with a good film! ;o)

Here's a plan to compare against what you're doing (it should show that you're on track, not frighten you!!)
    Hal Higdons Novice Program

Good luck - am sure you'll enjoy the experience!