Options

sign of a slow starter?

Hey guys,
This could be obvious but as my body and I are discovering ourselves more and more each day, I lately noticed that I strangle a bit at the beginning each time I run. I then get a boost of energy after say 10 to 15 minutes after I have started running and feel more confortable and sligher faster. I do my warm up beforehand though. Could this be a sign of me being a slow starter? My first reaction to this was maybe I need more warm up but I am not sure. What do you think guys?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Dune runner, I'm assuming you mean struggle and not strangle. The first 20/30 minutes of any run always feels slightly harder to me and most people I would think. You've got to give your body with all its complex actions time to warm up properly. Usually after 20 mins I feel much better and everything is so much easier. Don't worry about it. If you race then a warm-up of sufficient length would solve this problem for you as it would before speedwork etc. Always cool down as well, your legs will thank you the next day for it.
  • Options
    Both my body and mind hate the first 20 mins of any run. I just keep reminding myself that I'll enjoy it once I've got into it and warmed up more. I've never regretted going for a run so I just assumed that most people feel like that.
  • Options
    I always struggle for the first 10 minutes after having done a warm up and have spoken to other people that experience the same thing, so I think it's just a part of running.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Yep, I think it's called waiting for your 'second wind'!:o)
  • Options
    the first five to ten minutes of a run are always tougher than the mid section for me to.
  • Options
    I agree - first 15 mins are harder. You have to treat your body like a car and not thrash it as soon as you turn the key, as the oil is not warmed up and lubricating all those pistons n stuff! Trouble is, the mind remembers the pace you normally run at and wants to immediately go at that speed. I find that if I run the first 10 mins a lot slower than I do for the rest of the run then that helps enormously.