Options

Is my heartbeat to fast or normal

Im 19 and have been running for 2 months, befor that i was a smoker for 5 years and not very healthy. Ive just started the run/walk today because i neva done it b4 and put on my heart monitor this is how it went.

ps. i didnt warm up or strech today.

Warm up jog from my house - 150bpm
1st 60secs - 140bpm
2nd 60secs - 140bpm

it stayed around 130 - 150 until the last one, which is the 8th. I did a fast paced 30 seconds , as fast as my legs could go and it shot up to 190bpm. are all these rates normal for a person in my health and age, considering ive been jogging 2 months? and is there any workouts i can do to lower my HR?

Comments

• Options
    I'm no expert but I would say this was pretty normal. Your HR will come down as your overall fitness improves and the slow steady approach will give the best long term results. If you were to repeat this session exactly, ie same route, same speed, same intervals) in a months time, you should notice the difference.

Worry not, keep up the good work and don't forget to enjoy it.
  • Options
    Don't worry Guvna. Those figures suggest that your HR is perfectly normal. I am 27 and my max. HR is 194.

As Murf says you need to do as much of your running as possible slowly because this will then improve your training base and after a month you will notice that you can go much quicker at the same HR levels.

You could use the following formula:

Resting HR + (Max. HR - Resting HR x 0.7)

This will then give your 70% ceiling. If you can do a lot of your training below this HR then your performances will improve.

Your resting HR is when you are completely relaxed. For example, having just woken up.

If you don't want to do a max. HR test to find this figure (it is hard as it involves running hard up a hill 3-4 times and jogging back down and at the end of your 3rd or 4th effort you will be very close to your max HR) then train at a pace where you find it easy to talk.

Good luck and keep the training going!!
  • Options
    Guvna, these are fine HR's, my MAX is 192 (last measured), and I'm 34.

Have you got alarm limits on your HRM? These are excellent to set and train with as you get used to maintaining a steady training rate (ie you run slower when your knackered and a bit faster when sprightly, and you also find yourself smoking people on downhills). Check out the links on this site.

Cheers!
  • Options
    Thanx people you have just releaved me from my worries, on occasions my HR can put me off running, and make me feel down, but today was pretty good after the run/walk even though i wasnt worn out i felt the difference. Yeah my HR monitor has an alarm, i got a NIKE TRIAX C5, theres a major problem with it but i can live with it, when i run it picks up my footsteps (maybee because im running most the time on conrete, yep i know its bad 4 me i will change) and i have to hold it close to the strap to get a good perfect reading. But as i said ill live with it, i hope to run the flora 2005 im training for it, and i might be starting a charity that will involve sponsored runs called "THE 3RD EYE", it will aid the people in the 3rd world, and as im a christian belive i will also preach the word and guide them to god, it sounds crazy to unbelivers but its what i feel right to do. Thanx for all your info peeps.