Options

Advice please wise people

I have a place in the VLM, and I have had to stop running any distances over 5k since the 6th Feb with a suspected tendon problem. I have been carrying on x training and weights/ strength training to keep up my fitness. I am run/walking and still feeling the tightness in my left leg (back on knee area), I have been foam rolling my ITB and I think that feels ok. My physio says I'll be fine, but I'm not so sure. I have only run around 5k in one go since early feb, with walk breaks in between, before then I was up to 17 miles. 

With no real road distance in my legs since early Feb, would you still go for it? Would you be happy to walk the marathon? I have wanted to take part in the marathon since I was young girl, and now have my chance. But, I don't want to walk it, I would feel like I have let myself down. I have no charity that I am raising money for, but got a first time ballot place. So would be doing it for the experience. Any advice/ opinions/ kick up the arse is greatly received. Thanks. 

Comments

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    My advice would be to defer your place to 2017 and then give it a proper shot next year.
  • Options
    You can defer your place up until the day before.

Running the marathon is great. If you're injured and have to walk - then it's not going to be half as much fun. If you spectate and see the people walking through the rubbish of 30,000 runners - a lot of them look as miserable as sin.
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Depends on whether you enjoy lots of people shouting at you as you trudge along, which is what you'll almost certainly be doing, sorry, but there it is.

Having been there I wished my shirt didn't have my name on, rather it said "Feck off and mind your own business" but thats hardly in the London spirit, image

So, if it was me I'd defer, and enjoy my run in 2017.
  • Options

Defer ...

oh and I echo senidM's comments!