Options

Routes around Swindon

I have just moved to Swindon, and am struggling to find any decent - 5-10m trail runs without having to drive nearly an hour each way. I have found a nice route along the ridgeway near the Uffington White horse, but would appreciate some other suggestions.

LS

Comments

• Options
    Hi Laura,

Not quite sure what you are after, as I mostly run on roads. But I do live in Highworth just north of Swindon. Have you looked at the Thames path? Can pick it up at Cricklade or Lechlade, so only about 20 minutes from Swindon town centre.
  • Options
    Cotswold Water Park area is trailsy and flat.

Hills near Wootton Bassett and woods too.

Cricklade & River area - they have a 10k race coming up.

Have you got a 1:50,000 OS map yet? I've also got a little book called Short Walks in the Cotswolds which includes Cricklade area.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Agree with Blisters, I stop off on occasions and run around Water park, where it also joins the Thames path
  • Options
    MustNotStop,

thanks for the advice, just out of interest, are you a member of the highworth running club? I know that there is one, but have been unable to get any info.

If you are, what sort of traning do they do and when etc?

Cheers

LS
  • Options
    Blisters, Bod.

Cheers, will try both the waterpark and the Thames path.

LS
  • Options
    Laura,

Afraid I'm not a member of the Highworth club - they meet at times that don't fit for me. But they organise a damned good 5-mile race every year. Sometimes see them out for their Wednesday evening sessions on my way home from work (now you know why I'm not a member!).

They meet Wed at 7pm and Sun at 9:30am outside the Vorda building. I guess you can just turn up?