Options

Running in Southport, Lancs

I'll be in Southport for a few days next week. At the Travelodge on Lord Street. No car.

Looking at the map in satellite view, it seems that from Coastal Road there's paths leading onto a beach or sand dune area. And the direction of Ainsdale could be promising.

So - road or trail shoes, and any pointers to where I can get some good runs in? Ta muchly in advance.

Comments

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

There's beach and sandy trails a-plenty: I like to alternate between the two, helped by simple navigation - the beach is flat and devoid of shingle and it's a simple clamber over the smaller dunes to the paths and pools.  Endangered natterjack toads live here.

The pine woods around Formby Point boast firm, reliable trails and peaceful solitude - except at holiday times! - and there are routes as far as the army firing range the other side of Freshfield.  The NT site at Formby Point is well equipped with paths - and the slowly thriving red squirrel population.

Ainsdale Beach to Formby pine woods is about 6 miles on the beach - you could run one way and get the train back if you wished!

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Shoes?  Road shoes fine for the woodland trails and the beach; if you head inland, the sand hills are best handled with trail shoes.

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

You'll need a whippet?

And a cap?

• Options
    Mr Puffy wrote (see)

You'll need a whippet?

And a cap?

Umm, no.....that's Yorkshire you're thinking of - the nicer side of the Pennines image

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I can be my own whippet image

That's super, swittle, many thanks. I'll be in Southport from Wednesday through to Sunday. I plan a recce in Southport on Weds to check out the paths heading south, and on Thursday taking the train to Formby and running back. Looks like perfect running territory.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

It was great. I got a couple of decent runs from Southport along tracks heading southwards, through the dunes and along the Trans Penine trail. And found a near-unused cycle track that was good for some intervals.

Cheers swittle image

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Glad to share, Muttley.  It's a peaceful place to run.  image