Options

Olympic Marathon

I have read that the Olympic Marathon qualifying time for men is 2.15. Given that no man from Britain attained this standard last year, will any man beat this time this year.

Anyone done it so far this year? Or come close.

If this time is not beaten will we send no runner for the mens marathon?

Do you think it is unfair to expect a top class runner to qualify for and then run another marathon in the same year?

Comments

• Options
    Seeing as Athens is in August, then they should be able to bounce back from an April marathon.

In the old days they used to have to run qualifiers stupidly close to major championships.

It probably will be beaten this year as the bigger hitters will be out at FLM this year trying to make the grade.
  • Options
    The American men have already had their trials race, first three home (assuming they either finish inside the qualifying time or already have it) get to go.
    Nice and simple.
    Jon Brown tried a while back and missed it.
    Simon Pride was gonig for it in Seville last Sunday but missed it too (2:19:42).
    Hopefully some of the guys will get under it at London.
  • Options
    Tim, I read that Simon Pride had missed the time. He ran so well at the Lossie Half Marathon getting a time of 1.04.54 breaking the course record. I believe Simon Pride was a ultra runner at some point?

I still think London and Athens are fairly close together its only 4 months apart.
  • Options
    I think 1 guy has a qualifying time because i think you can go back 18mths
    Unfortunately i,ve forgotten his name but i am sure he runs with Swindon Harriers.
  • Options
    Last year Mark Steinle posted a 2:16 in Chicago as far as I know (slower than Radcliffe). He usually runs well in the FLM. Being realistic he has no chance in Athens even if he qualifies. Course and conditions won't suit him.

Jon Brown ran the Fukuoka Invitational marathon and posted a 2:18 as far as I remember. Not bad, but far away from qualification, which was at that time 2:12.

I read an interview with the men's marathon coach. He complained about the attitude among British athletes (men). Nobody willing to put in the hard work. He wanted to a give a few runners an opportunity to run the world half marathon championships, but nobody was keen and they all had excuses.

There are so many absolute world class runners, sub 2:10 and they have no chance to run in the Olympics. For example, take Khalis Khannouchi, he is sensational. He was injured and could not do the US trials, no chance for him, and missed out on his last opportunity to take gold.

Another, most underrated runner is in my opinion Rodgers Rop a Kenyan. He won Boston and New York, very prestigious races, but have not posted yet a sub 2:08. However, he almost beat Martin Lel in New York last November and Lel has won a lot of faces recently (world half, a few 10k road races).
  • Options
    Matt O Dowd is the Swindon runner, coached by Bruce Tulloch.

Mark Stenlie is out in South Africa, has been out there since December.

In my opinion we should always send somebody even if they pay half the cost or something. Experiance is important.

I also belive London is a little to close to act as a qualifying race. Why not get them to prove fitness over a shorter race nearer the time [say 1/2 marathon]

Jon Brown is right some top british distance runner's don't train hard enough.
    They like laying in the sun & partying too much! I've seen them :-)
  • Options
    Simon Pride was world 100km champion in 1999 I think with a superb time, something like 6'25 but there's more money in marathon running. He said that, I'm not being critical.
  • Options
    sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    What is Karl Keska doing 10000m or marathon? I'm sure if he did the marathon he get under the qualifying time comfortably.

Hopefully there will be a strong British turn out at London.
    Does anyone know who is racing this year?
  • Options
    I think Keska is running London.
  • Options
    I massaged Huw Lobb back in September and he was hoping to get the time although he was't sure the getting the time would be enough to get to Athens.
  • Options
    Chris Carriss - Bingley Harriers (2:17 last year) has gone warm weather training for 3 months in an attempt to crack 2:15.
  • Options
    BR, I'm going altitude training, I also aim to crack 2:15

for 800m!!!!!!! :-)
  • Options
    Sorry!

Karl Keska, is the future star for us over the marathon distance. I'm very impressed with his attitude 7 the way he trains.
  • Options
    Is there a new generation of runners emerging behind Karl Keska? I don't know much about UK athletics, but I would be suprised if there would be a junior runner. Like a lot of others on the forum, I do a few races occasionly, but must say haven't seen any young gun completly thrashing the field.
  • Options
    There's that junior runner, who runs with Harrow AC (who's name escapes me). He seems quite promising. The Chiltern X counrty league winner, 3rd junior in the european X country. He might come through in a few years.
  • Options
    URR, in my opinion, British distance running is not going to improve. There are very few willing to go out & train hard.
    Myself & BR plus others here train harder than some of our so called Internationals. We get no help at all.

My club vice-chairman is about 27 an ex junior international. He doesn't run any more but still has time to moan at me for not getting a senior xc team together!
    How can I when he won't race.

I've been running over 20 years & in all that time I've been one of the youngest seniors in my club[s] I'm nearly 37 & still the youngest!!!
    There's a gap at my club from 20 up to me at 37 & he's Japanese.
    My club don't think's theres a problem!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    There's plenty of potential quality junior runners around, but many lose interest or go to other sports!

PM-isn't that junior you're on about called Mohamed Farah?
  • Options
    Where are all those talented juniors hiding? Tried to spot a few and looked up the stats:

2003 Junior List

10000m Nobody, no European in the list (slowest time was 29:17)
    5000m Nobody, no European in the list (slowest time was 13:36)

2003 Youth List

3000m Nobody, 1 European in the list with slowest time 8:23

Clearly, there is nobody at world class level. My conclusion is that British Athletics just doesn't have a broad base of young runners. Even if they would start today and try to engage more younger people into running, it would take them at least 8 years to get a runner to that level. Must come to the sad conclusion that there is a deep crisis in British distance running.

I assume it must have to do with the British Athletics organisation. Other sports like triathlon are not so long around, but have produced a lot good young people competing on world class level.

Mohammad Farrah, won 5k European Junior Championships 2002 in 14:09. This is promissing, but realistically the world class at that age already runs a minute faster. Other countries have the problem which runners to pick for the champs, here they have the problem who has the qualification time.

More recently, I have watched the Southern XC and ran the Kent 10m and Essex 1/2m championships. I must be blind, but couldn't spot any talented junior or young senior runner there.

Finally, I always find it a bit worrying, when I read in running magazines about very good senior runners, but never anything about an emerging junior.
  • Options
    I think there are so many other interests for people nowdays.

I think that a UK version of Team Hanson may work...
  • Options
    Pizza man's talking about Adam Bowden I presume
    profile: - http://www.cgsystems.co.uk/herts/team/adambowd.htm
    since Mark McIntosh and Mike Smart haven't really done enough to get noticed at senior level.

(Mo Farah runs for WSE&H)

The British "Team Hanson" argument has been done to death on letsrun and I'm not convinced it would work here. We have a completely different set up to the states in terms of our club structure, and I don't think the sponsorship would be forthcoming either.

URR - great Britain got 1-2 in the european under23 5000m in 2003, Chris Thompson from Mo Farah.

The 5000m rankings last year were:
    1 13:31.64 Andrew Graffin SEN 20.12.77 Belgrave 7 Cork, IRE 5 Jul
    2 13:31.79 John Mayock SEN 26.10.70 Barnsley AC 7 London (CP) 8 Aug
    3 13:34.93 Chris Thompson U23 17.04.81 Aldershot, Farnham & District/LSAC 1rA Eton 14 Jun
    4 13:38.41 Mohamed Farah U23 23.03.83 Windsor, Slough, Eton & Hounslow 9 London (CP) 8 Aug

others born in 1980 or later
    10 14:00.20i Antony Ford U23 26.05.83 Blackpool & Fylde/Uni of Montana 4 Seattle, USA 8 Mar
    12 14:02.83 Chris Livesey SEN 08.08.80 Preston H 7rA Eton 14 Jun
    14 14:03.75 Gavin Thompson SEN 09.04.80 Crawley/Eastern Michigan Uni 1rB Stanford, USA 2 May
    19 14:06.22 Adam Sutton U23 22.03.81 Preston H/Providence Col 2 Bedford 28 Jun

If you don't read about juniors I take it you aren't reading Athletics weekly.....
    and by the way Barry Stephenson (3rd at Sidcup 10 miles in 50:56) is 22 years old - hardly past it.

Don;t get too caught up by the fact that there aren't hoards of British teenagers running the times on the roads, as long as the performances are there on the track, and the country thats good enough for me, since in the UK the tradition is for road running to come later in an atheltes career.

I'm pretty optimistic for a number of reasons and won't be surprised if we get 30 brits under 2:20 for the Marathon this year (9 men last year including Phil Sly).
  • Options
    Yes, I remember Barry Stephenson, he was jogging in Hyde Park 5k last week and did 15:29.
  • Options
    Good to read that there are a few younger runners doing well.

I believe that 20 years ago Britain had over 75 men with a sub 2.20 marathon time. Last year it was 6 or 7, don't know where your 9 comes from MikeB.
  • Options
    2:15:18 Phil Sly SEN 02.09.74 Thames Hare & Hounds/Australia 11 Hamburg, GER 27 Apr
    1 2:15:41 Mark Steinle SEN 22.11.74 Blackheath & Bromley 16 Chicago, USA 12 Oct
    2 2:17:39 Chris Cariss SEN 01.03.75 Bingley 13 Amsterdam, HOL 14 Sep
    3 2:18:00 Daniel Robinson SEN 04.08.73 Tipton 26 Berlin, GER 28 Sep
    4 2:18:30 Huw Lobb SEN 29.08.76 Bedford & County 19 London 13 Apr
    5 2:18:52 Simon Pride SEN 20.07.67 Metro Aberdeen 5 Dublin, IRE 27 Oct
    6 2:18:55 Jon Brown SEN 27.02.71 City of Sheffield 25 Fukuoka, JPN 7 Dec
    7 2:19:03 Stuart Hall SEN 21.12.64 Tipton 10 St. Paul, USA 5 Oct
    8 2:19:38 Dave Mitchinson SEN 04.09.78 Newham & Essex Beagles 15 Amsterdam, HOL 19 Oct

I include Phil Sly (but not Piet Jacobs) as Sly has British Parents and a British Passport although he was born in Australia, so is slightly more than a "resident foreigner"
  • Options
    2003 IAAF Marathon Ranking Shocking Kenyan runners make up almost 1/3 of the list!

Sly just made it in the list, posting the 425th fastest time. Steinle not listed.

Thinking long term, London 2012 bid. Hopefully there will be at least one runner at world class level.
  • Options
    The dissapointing thing is were talking of sub 2:15 which is very good, but to be world class we need sub 2:10 runners at least.

I can never understand how our athletes get injured or ill all the time. We have better training facilities & better equipment today.

We cannot expect to have more than 1-2 at the highest level as marathon running is a globle sport. It also suit's the poorer nations as a way out of poverty.

We have Paula so maybe were not as bad off as thing's look, never the less it's still a shame!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I just don't think they're as tough as they used to be!:o)
  • Options
    Sorry MikeB you were right, should have checked my facts first.

Just a thought, if you can win a marathon by running only a sub 2.20 why would someone run a sub 2.15. In the past alot of sub 2.20 runners meant that you had to go that much harder to be first.
  • Options
    BT - I don't understand the argument, that running suits the poorer nations. If so, why don't we find many runners from other "poorer" nations? Poor or rich, you would still have to do the hard training.

Also fully agree with you, there is so much money, sponsorship, charities, sports vendors, medical knowledge and modern facilities in the UK. Should be easy to hire the best coaches in the world and put 50 athletes together. A bit like the "Chelski" model for running :)

Jane M - A sub 2:20 is good enough to win a regional marathon. If you want to win a more prestigous marathon (FLM) you have to be world class (sub 2:10 or even sub 2:07). To improve from 2:20 to 2:10 is very very hard work and only very few are capable of this.
  • Options
    URR, poorer nations cannot aford expensive sports like golf, motor racing etc.
    So if they train hard at the sports they can aford like athletics, it's a way out of poverty for them. A very good reason to train hard!
    So they have more athletes concentrating on fewer sports.
    In the UK we have so many sports that our athletes are wider spread.
    Maybe Daimen Hill or Tim Henman would have been great marathon runners!

Your right, poor or rich you have to train hard. Unlike triathlon where a £5000 bike can save a lot of time at no extra effort!

Like hilly say's, we're not as tough in this country any more, we've all grown up with the luxury items.
    Kids get used to playing computer games & eating junk food.
    Schools don't encourage physical activity as much as they should.
    A healthy body must help the mind too!