Options

V Slow marathon - hydration and fuel

Hi guys

Im running Belfast marathon with my daughter and we are hoping for a 6 hour finish (before they pack up and go home). I am aware that the online advice on carbs presumes a 3-4 hour finish and cant simply be generalised to a slower run. Practice runs have been fuelled by one bottle of lucozade sport supplemented by a glucose tablet every few miles.

Comments

• Options
    Just stick with what you've done in practice really. It's basically the same amount of calories irrelevant of the time. Much easier to take calories in at an easier pace so don't overdo it.
  • Options
    Hi!

I'm aiming for 6 hours and take water with a gel every 3 miles. I used to have jelly babies as well - 1 a mile but the combination was too sickly so went to the gel which works well for me. It's a long time on your feet isn't it?

Best of luck to you both!
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Just have a good breakfast, perhaps not the full Ulster,image but cereals or porridge, wholewheat toast kind of thing, then a gel or tablet every 10k/5miles or so.

At your pace energy isn't actually that much of a problem, hydration more so, so drink small and often, eat when you're hungry, perhaps take some energy/cereal bars, whatever you're used too.

Blithespirit is perhaps a victim of peer pressure/advertising, every 3 miles is 8 gels in all, which, unless your'e used too them, may lead to tummy trubs, you have been warned!
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    +1 for what Cougie and senidM have said. Don't try and change anything on race day.

Also have to agree that 8 gels and all that liquid is a lot sloshing round in the stomach.
  • Options

Hi Senid/Millsy - that's interesting actually.

I've gone for a gel every 45 minutes which is what is recommended and it has seemed to work in training but you are right; it is what works for you, isn't it?

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with going with what works with you. I also agree with doing what you have practiced in training. Have you practiced taking on 8 gels in training?
  • Options

Hi Millsy,

Almost. I've done 6 for 20 miles...

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    "recommended"? by the info on the wrappers? just teasing BlitheS, if its good for you, take as many as you like. image

But for OP, please be careful with taking any new stuff, gels etc if your'e body isn't used to them.
  • Options
    Sounds OK to me then. I know that for a sportive I did the gel suppliers were having testers having free gels and they were taking three an hour or so. They said they felt good for it. Expensive way of eating mind you.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If you can handle 6 ok then you should be fine.

I've found out, through trial and error, that my stomach can handle a maximum of 5. But we are all different.
  • Options

Hmmm it's a good question about the recommended. I see that the gel companies 'recommend' every half hour up to 3 an hour which there is no way I could do but I have found with a bit of trial and error that every 45 mins works for me.  I was just taking jelly babies every mile but I found that they didn't give me the 'boost' that I get out of gels.

Anyway, as I'm 'on' next Sunday it's a bit late now to change it. image

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

For 6 hours I'd be wanting sandwiches and possibly a slice of cake.

• Options

Exactly Mister W. Im one of those people who can consume more calories on a marathon day than I burn off.