Options

Help - First LVM 2016

Hi All,

So with 4 days to go my nervous are ridiculous! I am not a natural running and have been training for the last few months to finish in around 12 min/mile so im pretty slow. I have never run a race - let alone a marathon! I have managed to get up to 19 miles as my longest run, so hoping the crowd will get me through the last 7.2! However Ive got questions that I dont know what to do about and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

- the weather looks like its going to be chilly. I was planning on just wearing the charity vest over a tshirt with a half zip top/jumper over that Ive trained in that I can throw when I start to warm up. Do I have to pin the number on the outside or can i just put this on my charity vest underneath?

- usually on training runs I just take on water/lucozade - and maybe at the half way point I eat a naked bar thing and then just a few jelly babies later on. On training runs I stop in shops on the way! now I'm panicking about what to put them in as im not used to running with a belt! I should have thought about it before - maybe I can get a small one that I wont notice too much? also i have never used gels - should I or not bother if I havent yet.

- any tips as to where to tell family to go where there are less crowds?

Sorry for the long post - I think the nerves have got into my fingers/typing!!

Thanks image

Comments

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

1. - just pin the number to the vest if you're throwing the top away. you can always tie the long sleeved top round your waist?

2. You can buy belts at the expo - cheap ones that you can throw away if they annoy you. BUT - there will be loads of supporters handing out jelly babies the whole way round. could you fit the bar in a pocket in your shorts/tights?

3. nope- it's busy the whole way round! the key thing is making sure the route they have to follow is easy and not too ambitious. Don't bother with the start (too much hanging around) or Tower Bridge (too congested) ..  And make sure you know which side of the road they'll be standing on or you'll miss them.

• Options
    It won't be that cold in the race. I'd just wear a tee shirt under your race vest at most and pin the number on the race vest. Take a bin bag or old top to wear when you're in the pen waiting to go.

Dont have gels if you've not used them before. Get a running belt and bung your jelly babies or your bar in. You can get these from the expo.

Look at the marathon spectating thread - plenty of options there.
  • Options

Thank you for the help thats great! Will look for a belt at the expo! and now I know the running number is just for pictures Im too worried about layering at the beginning!!

• Options

Relax! Easier said than done at this stage I know, this week is sure dragging!

The most important thing is to enjoy it, take it all in, smile, have fun, it's going to be a PB anyway!

Rather than a belt you could try an arm pocket, I usually carry my inhaler in one (though have a pocket in my shorts now) but it would easily fit a few nakd bars in, mine was only a couple of pounds from Sports Direct and definitely less annoying than a belt.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭

As per above comments, you can purchase a race belt at the Expo to carry whatever you want to consumer during the race.  I tend to wear shorts with pockets and carry gels in these.  I'd always avoid taking sweets from the crowd - just buy your own before hand and so its another thing you don't need to worry about

My family always head to mile 7.5 as not as busy as other areas.  They can get the train to Deptford and then walk a few 100m up to the course.  They then head over to Embankment around mile 25.  Crowds V busy but great atmosphere and a great place to see themimage.

Enjoy!!!

• Options

Hey sg131084 image

I'm in the same boat - we'll make it! I'm going to brave it in just my charity vest and pop my jacket in the kit bag.

I too haven't used gels so will be stuffing 'sport jelly beans' in my bra!

• Options

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement! I think the expo will calm my nerves ! I did my last easy run last night and although nervous getting excited today! Cant believe only 5 months ago I was a heavy smoker who had never run... now I'm smoke free and think I may have the running bug!! image