Options

Advice needed

like every year watching the London Marathon I get the urge to run one but I've now signed up to Brighton 2017, so I'm looking for advice on any training schedules that are online or books I could read....I know it's far in advance but I have to lost 4 stone as well !!!!

Comments

• Options
    There's a training section on here.

Losing weight will be a massive help too.
  • Options

I recommend the book "Hanson's Marathon Method". They have a beginner schedule that might suit you well. I've read lots of marathon books, used lots of marathon plans and even written a few myself  - and I certainly think the Hanson's Method is one of the best.

You have plenty of time to build up, so that's good. You mention you aim to lose 4 stones in weight. Why not set yourself a goal of achieving a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day and see where it takes you. This would be equate to one pound per week of weight loss. It may not sound like a lot, but there are three benefits to this slow weight loss.

1. You won't feel starving all the time. 

2. You won't lose muscle - mostly fat. 

3. You'll still have enough enough energy to go running regularly.

Try tracking your progress using an App that measures exercise and food calories, such as MyNetDiary. Before you know it, you'll have made real progress.

Another good piece of advice is to try a walk/run strategy in training. This will help you avoid injuries initially. Your runs don't all need to feel super-hard. If you're so tired you can't maintain a conversation, slow down and walk for a bit. By way of example, elite marathon runners do 85-90% of their training at chatting pace. The Hansons book will help you with this. 

Lastly, I write a free training blog, which may be of interest from time to time. It's mainly triathlon related, but there are quite a few running features - including nutrition, weight loss and run training. http://www.myprocoach.net/blog

Entering a race is the first step of the journey, so well done. Be patient and keep at it.