Options

Should I threshold each week?

RJKRJK ✭✭✭
Hi, sorry in advance if this has already been discussed (can't find a similar topic though)...

I'm following the RW "best ever" schedule in prep for a half marathon and I'm finding it very enjoyable.

Until now the schedule has been something like:

* Tue Speedwork
* Thu Threshold
* Sat Easy
* Sun Distance/Race

However, now I've reached week 6, the Threshold run has been replaced by a fartlek session, and from now on the threshold alternates each week with either fartlek or hills.

But having just read about the importance of threshold running (I assume tempo and threshold are similar??) in the print magazine (and I agree - I find the threshold run very tough but I suspect it is the most useful run of the week), I wonder if this is the right thing to do. Aren't speedwork and fartlek achieving the same thing?

I was therefore wondering if it would be worth tinkering with the schedule, and alternating fartlek/hills/speedwork each week, and doing a threshold session every single week.

Having said that, I feel as a beginner very awkward about querying the expert advice distilled into the schedule.

Have I got something wrong? Your thoughts welcome...

Comments

• Options
    The most recent research I read (in Peak Performance Online), suggested that training at VO2max level - ie, speedwork/interval training - resulted in greater benefits for distance runners than training at threshold pace. So, on the basis of this research, the article in RW is wrong.

With that said, the difference is probably pretty marginal.

I'm not familiar with the programme you're following, but the reasons for switching to fartlek/hills may be (1) to add variety and (2) to sharpen up speed. Seems pretty sensible to me.