Options

Running with weight

I hope someone out there could answer me this question.
Does running with weight on your back ie in a rucksack improve your fitness better than running without. And if it does how much weight should you run with.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Depends what you mean by fitness. I doubt it is an effective way of training to run faster and it can't be good for your joints.
  • Options
    it improves your chances of knackering your knees
  • Options
    I run with wieght to and from work and before that ran with a lot of it for many years in the Army.

Running with wieght will help build strength and I find helps endurance and core stability. It can also be a great substitute for hill work.

However like all things if you use too much too soon you will end up injured particularly knees. Also I find it takes its toll on you trainers faster!

My recommendation is to get a comfy pack and try with a bit of weight every other day - not back to back to give your knees time to recover and see how you get on. Then like all things you can build more into your programme as you wish.

Hope this is some help.
    Jim

• Options
    I train with a weighted rucksack - have been doing so on and off for about a year.
    between 5Kg - 10Kg.

It does give you better endurance and make you far more effective at going up hills. Surprisingly I also think it makes you faster with out the rucksack on. All my best marathon outings and XC placings have come since I have been rucksack training.

If you are going to do it make sure any weights above 4Kg are off road if possible and dont do it with heavy weights more than three times a week and up the weight slowly. I have had to visit the osteopath three times from knee injuries recently after long runs with a weighted rucksack.

I do it becuase I have to (I have to carry 9Kg odd over 140 miles at the MDS in a few weeks) If I wasnt training for an event that required the carrying of a loaded rucksack I wouldnt do it - it hammers your knees.

and like jim says you will start to eat trainers if you keep it up...Ive gone through over £500 worth in the last 12 months.

oh and get a decent running rucksack.
  • Options
    there are so many methods to improve your fitness without carrying the extra weight, the unwanted effects of this ie joints lower back etc etc. but sure if you run a mile carrying extra weight then run a mile without its going to be a lot easyer, depends on your goal if its sas selections then train with packs . for running it realy isnt necessary ,regards yoi