Options

Tempo runs

I have read the article in this months Runner's World re. tempo runs and am now totally confused!
I used the formula to derive a bpm of 149 but I regularly run at 175-185, so am I going too fast (doesn't feel it) or am I a totally inefficient runner?
I would appreciate some advice as I really want to get my 1/2M time down to a sub-2 hour.

Comments

• Options
    Your max is probably higher than the calculation. Have you done a max HR test yet?
    Correct me if I am wrong,
    Warm up, run 3 mins flat out, jog/walk for a couple mins, then run 3 mins flat out. Somewhere in that lot you will hit your own max HR.

Check the formula in the mag also against the one on this site in case there is an error.
  • Options
    True tempo pace is anything from 10 mile race pace to 1/2 marathon race pace.
  • Options
    Sorry Tim, but surely 10k pace can also be a tempo run?

Here's a deffinition from the time-out-doors site

Tempo Run

Warm up - 10-15 mins

Training focus - Running economy; lactate threshold.

Effort - Continual even paced effort on flat ground. You should feel capable of maintaining the pace for twice the time.

Key words - Even-paced effort

Heart rate - 80-90%

Aerobic/Anaerobic - Threshold

RPE (6-20) - 14-16

Cool down - 10 mins
  • Options
    The way that we've found Max heart rate is 8 sets of 600m flat out off 60 secs recovery with HRM's on. If you're realy trying you should hit MHR on the 5th or 6th one, the 7th one should show a lower reading as you'll be feeling a little tired and the 8th is just to check you are totally knackered.

Most of us have found that this'll give a fairly accurate reading, within 1 or 2 beats anyway.
  • Options
    Pizza Man, I agree to a point.
    You can also do tempo runs for a lot longer than 13.1 miles.

I do however feel short tempo runs of 4-8 miles at 10M, 1/2 marathon pace a great starting point & a good way to get fitter.

On flat surface's are best, I can run for miles in one direction without hills so i'm quite lucky.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys, I think I will go with Pizza mans solution, mainly because I am a real plodder at the moment and I think that the 3 minutes flat out suggested by GartT would probably burst something right now!!

Big Tim - I take your point about tempo runs, but I am a real novice at pacing and all the runs I do at the moment seem to be at the same pace, however I did speak to John Cooper @ Ron Hill Specials yesterday on a totally unrelated topic and as a result will be adding speedwork and hills to my runs.
  • Options
    If your so new to running, just make sure you enjoy yourself. Train regularly & your times will tumble I'm sure!
  • Options
    Cheers BT. I wouldn't say I was 'new' to running as I have been at it for about a year (minus 3 months out injured) but I can honestly say that I am not very good at it!!
  • Options
    That's new to me!
    I've been at it 20+ years

Hope things go well :-)
  • Options
    There is no easy way to find your max heart rate t.a.g!

The very nature of getting it to it's max will hurt and has the potential to burst something.
  • Options
    I don't know what my max heart rate is and at the moment have no intention of doing so as it all seems rather painful to me!

However I do monitor how I feel after and during a run and I think I can tell how much i am pushing myself as a result.

I am fairly new to running - 11 months - so maybe in the future this method will change. But basically I go for time on my feet as what counts. In regard to whether I run at easy, tempo pace etc. I guage that by how much i can talk. I.e if I can chat for England then that is an easy run, whereas if I can only manage a few words that is probably more of a tempo run.

My first half marathon was done in 2.07, so i think my method is not doing too badly!!

Like you I would be well chuffed with a sub 2 hour so good luck.
  • Options
    I forgot to say I also monitor my resting heart rate, which since running has dropped dramatically. It seems pretty normal at 44bpm, compared with other runners, but I find it's a good way of telling how I'm feeling as it goes up on a bad day!!
  • Options
    BT - Yep, by comparison I am practically a virgin!!!

PM - No pain no gain huh!! I'm off to Boots to stock up on Nurofen now!

SS - Looks like your path to the elusive sub-2 hour 1/2 is going to be shorter than mine. My PB is 2:45:54!! And how do you get a resting heart rate that is so low? Mine is 65bpm, does that mean I am abnormal?
  • Options
    Tag, average heart rate for a normal man is 70, so 65 is on the right side. [unless your not & man & then I don't know!]
  • Options
    BT - Phew, what a relief, I don't have to get the home ECG kit while I'm getting the Nurofen then?

PS

All the dangly bits indicate male of the species!!!