Options

after my first half marathon- what next

I completed my first half marathon last Sunday (2hrs 24mins). I followed a beginners training programme for that.I plan to take it very easy for the next couple of weeks, but am now wondering what to do after that. I am aiming to do another half marathon in the next few month, but feel I need a programme to follow in the interim. Can anyone recommend where to look. I run 3-4 times a week.

Comments

• Options
    an intermediate programme?
  • Options
    Yes, thanks. I suppose i meant before I start another half marathon schedule. I have an 10 week intermediate plan, but it may be a lot longer than 10 weeks before I do another half marathon. I suppose I can repeat some of the weeks.
  • Options
    4 runs a week till your next schedule:
    vary your running until your next schedule,
    goto a track for some speed, goto the woods/park to increase your distance and join a club.
  • Options
    Why not focus on shorter races?
  • Options
    Another half, another half, another half! I've just done my first half and can't wait for the next one. I can't advise you on a programme however as I tend to make up my own :0)

I try to do 4 runs a week which incorporates one long run of say 10+ miles and the other 3 maybe between 3 and 6 miles, depending on what time i have.

I would strongly recommend joining a club though, as I have just done so and it's really great running in company. It also gives me a kick up the backside to keep running!

It just depends what you enjoy really. Do you like longer runs, or do you prefer the shorter faster runs. Which gives you the most buzz. Enter another race to give you something to aim for. Follow your intuition and I think you'll be fine.

Best wishes from one first half marathoner to another :0)
  • Options
    Just read your second thread. You could fit in another race between the 10 weeks?
  • Options
    Thanks all. I found a good article in an old Runners World magazine, advising 1 long run, one tempo run, one speed session and one recovery run each week. I think I will try to follow this for the moment, as so far I haven't done any speed work - I seem to do 11-minute miles whether i'm doind 3 miles or 13.1! Thanks for the advice about joining a running club - I will look into this.