Options

I want to do it but very apprehensive!!

Hi, I am 57y year old male and very keen on doing the couch to 5 k programme but i feel very apprehensive about my joints. i don't have a problem in my knees or hips now but seen physio 7 years ago for early arthritis in my knees.i do have chronic neck and back pain but i am reasonably in good health. the reason why i am reluctant because i don't want to embark on doing something which  i might regret later in my life and inflict irreversible damage to my joints!

my other option would be to do cycling as it is more kind to the joints. 

any help and advice please?

Comments

• Options

Why not speak to your GP? I'd have thought c25k a good thing, not too much running and by strengthening you may help protect your joints. Swimming could also be worth considering too.

• Options
    David J 27David J 27 ✭✭✭

I think that its generally accepted that its a bit a myth re running being bad for the joints. Following is a bit of a summary ...

http://www.everydayhealth.com/news/what-joint-docs-say-about-running/

Good shoes, soft ground if possible, rest, and take care.

In my 30s I had back and kneck pain issues (crumbling joints) - now 57 after 30 years running feeling as good as ever......

Agree re doc - although mine told me to take up Chess - so ignored that !!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Do c25k if you don't like it stop image it's pretty simple.

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

I feel pretty confident in saying that the worst thing to do for your joints is to stay on the couch. Start with walking and build up gradually to a gentle jog. If that is too hard on your body, go back to walking. Swimming would be good also but won't help to strengthen the muscles that support your hips, knees, spine. Good luck.

• Options
    The most hardest part is getting started. Mind over matter. It's really your decision. If you don't try you will never know how good it feels. I can't imagine you will do any damage to your joints. Like someone else said ask your Doctor. Good luck.
  • Options

Given a choice of a risk on screwed up knees or screwed up heart / lungs I will take my chances on the knees.

All of the old people I have encountered who have had knee or hip surgery are generally unfit. Most of the old runners I know are generally fine and only complain about being as fast as they used to be. Granted its a small sample but I am yet to see one of these fabled aged runners in a wheelchair.