Options

Increasing mileage

This is probably an impossible question to answer in such general terms, but: is anyone able to give any guidance on what difference increasing one's mileage substantially is likely to make?
I ask because I have now managed a consistent 25-30 miles for most weeks for a number of months (after a very low base); I've got a lot fitter and times have come down etc. What I don't have a feel for is whether it is worth pushing the mileage up, eg to 45-50, would make a sufficient difference to justify all the lifestyle difficulties that would cause. Is there any general advice anyone can offer?

Comments

• Options
    You may go a lot quicker, you may not!

Were all different & some can run well on lower mileage & other's have to log loads of miles [like me!] to produce the times.
    Like you say it's a lifestyle & you need to get the balance right.

If I were you I'd stick with what you've got & race off that, when you start to hit a plateau then is the time to increase the training once more.

You ran a 1:20 1/2 marathon from very little training, I'm sure given time & increased training this can go to a low 1:1? time :-)

Build up slowly & avoid injury. Also your family will gradually get used to the idea!
  • Options
    Thanks, Tim. If I were going to move up to your 10K time, I'd put the extra miles in. Having had a reasonable but not spectacular 5M over the weekend [27.55], I was wondering whether I am capable of going down to eg 26 mins, and, if so, whether that would take 50-60 mpw training. I don't know how you guys manage that sort of schedule.
  • Options
    The thing to do is get used to what your doing now.
    Once upon a time I thought 50 mpw was just not possible, now I'd struggle to keep it below 50!

Steve Brace played football & ran a 3hr+ marathon, nothing wrong with that but when he concentrated on running only got down to 2:10!
    Who know's where any of us could go if everything possible was done.
    I could give up work, eat, sleep & drink training only to run 2:30.
    Somebody else might break the world record.

Most importantly is to enjoy what your doing.
    I alway's say you have to what to train for a marathon not just what to run one!
  • Options
    Hi JFB,

I agree with you about people doing 50-60 miles a week. How do you manage it? 40 miles is a massive week for me. I would consider myself an above average runner. sub 1.20 for half and 35min for 10k but an above 40 week completely drains me. Am I doing something wrong? If I was you I would continue to try higher miles. Looking back at my log when I have managed to string 5 continuous 40 miles weeks I have done a PB for half soon after. I think the trick is to do 4-5 weeks above 40,then drop mileage before getting injured. Then repeat.
  • Options
    It does depend on other commitments an how important training is to you. I want to know how good I can be (whilst still having to work, have a normal family and social life etc).

Like Tim, a sub 50 week makes me feel physically listless and mentally distracted.

I've never come across anyone who has got slower by running more miles. It just comes down to how far you want to push it.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. James, are you based on the NW side of London? I think I've seen your name in results sheets locally.
  • Options
    Barnsleyrunner,

How's the best way to increase? Should I change my weekend 10-12 miles to say a 20 or should I increase all my runs by 2-3 miles? Do you split your runs am and pm?
    How does this affect the quality of training runs and training times?

JFB,

I live in West Drayton, near Heathrow. Where are you?

• Options
    Just moved to Watford from Pinner. I think I remember your name from the Lynda MacMillan 10K @ Merchant Taylors school last autumn?
  • Options
    JR

I'd add a bit onto each run rather than going from 12 to 20 miles. I do run twice a day - easy 4 or 5 in the morning then the main run at night. I found I made big breakthroughs when I started running doubles.
  • Options
    Like BR say's running doubles is the way to improve!
    It's amazing how those few extra easy morning runs make you go quicker!
  • Options
    Yeah, but I've seen the time you guys post in the morning!
  • Options
    Tim, Barnsley and others,

Lot of good advice here. Very impressed.

I'm just embarking on twice a day schedule and wondered how you did it. My plan is to do two days of double runs at ist and build up to a max of four. Plan is an easy five or six on mornings and either a longish 8-12 mile evening run or a fastish five or six. Plan to build up long Sunday run from current 12 to 20-24 by July. Does this make sense. I'm not too interested in speed this year as I'm only doing three very long races this year.
    Any advice greatly appreciated. I'm trying to build up to 100+ miles per week by June. I'm doing about 45 at moment plus a couple of gym sessions.
  • Options
    Sounds perfect tmmmcs, just what I do. I actually started during a half term week where I had time to run twice a day. Now it is part of the routine. Kids wake up at 5:30-6, I come on here then run, breakfast, shower, walk 10 mins to work. Sets up the day nicely.
  • Options
    Just be careful about building up so quickly, give yourself time to recover.
    Most of all get lot's of food in the house!
  • Options
    Oh, and plan in a `step back' week one in every 4. It helps your body absorb the training and gives it a slight rest - cut down to 2/3rd of your previous week.