Options

help with weight training

Hi!

I am training for 10M to 1/2Marathon distance races. I would like to do some weight training to help with my running. Can you advise me on the number and intensity of sessions? How many times a week I should do them? Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Check out www.halhigdon.com he has schedules there and they include notes on weight training and stuff.
  • Options
    That was very useful FG. Thank you very much!
  • Options
    Thank you very much Cougie. I will check it now.
  • Options
    What a very polite lil' birdy you are.

Pleasure.
  • Options
    spud,
    i'm going to dispute the weight training theory somewhat.i've looked at horwill's suggestions and from what i can see,weight training is useful for shorter distances where the explosive strength is needed but i'm not convinced about it's usefulness for longer distances.there is not one piece of written research that states that weight training is beneficial to distance runners.
    simple reasons.most weight training works muscles in isolation.running requires several muscle groups to work together which is totally different.if you look at the build of long distance runners,the vast majority are built like whippets not middle weight boxers,whereas sprinters are.
    however there are better alternatives which involve weight bearing and working several muscle groups.e.g
    circuit training
    plyometrics
    core stability exercises
    these will have a huge impact on your running and the times will greatly reduce.don't take my word for it if you don't want to.the top kenyan and ethiopean runners incorporate circuits and plys into their programmes.
    i trained for several months,3 times a wk using weights and it made no difference to the running,doing the circuits has.
    don't get me wrong,weight training is great.i'm a BAWLA and YMCA qualified instructor so i do believe in the benefits of weights...just not for long distance runners.
    now if you want to look good on the beach....
  • Options
    TB - fair points. I do lots of exercises, but not with weights. For anyone who can be bothered to read it, lots of points are discussed in this long article.
  • Options
    yep, i read that article a while back and HH makes some good points in particular the one about it helping women veteran runners rather than males.the only trial i've ever read concerned this group of runners,where they put several female over 40 runners through a programme of weights while another group simply ran.the weight trained runners' times improved while the non weight training runners stayed the same.but as i stated earlier,i've never seen any research concerning male runners or younger women runners.i know paula does a lot of circuits/plys.
  • Options
    Whilst weight training may not make you faster, I have certainly found that some exercises seem to help prevent injuries...

E.g., I used to have problems with knee injuries, mainly caused by a muscle imbalance / lack of strength in the muscles supporting the kneecap on the inside of the leg. Single-leg squats have certainly helped cure this and allowed me to massively increase my mileage and therefore my running speed.

So I wouldn't disregard weight training just because it doesn't, in itself, make you run faster.
  • Options
    Travis - I'm very intrigued by your post on plyometrics and running-specific circuit training - do you have any good links on these?
  • Options
    gravy
    there are several good sites with info.
    this month's RW has ply exercises which i would recommend.
    there is an excellent article on
    www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-95-98-287-2-2,00.
    it's an article by walt anderson titled
    strength training for runners.
  • Options
    Travis - thanks for the link (it is missing "htm" of the end by the way for anyone else who is trying to view it).

I will have to take a trip down to Asda and make use of their magazine library to read the RW plyometrics article. Er, what I meant to say is that I'll go and buy the magazine, of course. What do you take me for - a complete skinflint?!

• Options
    I am interested in doing some research on plyometrics. Thank you for all the help and advice!
  • Options
    I've recently started incorporating some plyometrics into my weekly gym circuits routine over the last few weeks (had never heard of it before reading about it in RW mag).
  • Options
    I agree 100% with what Travis says. There is no conclusive evidence that weight training benefits distance runners. The alternatives are more specific to running movements and muscles or support areas (core).

There are even sprinters (Kim Collins, Carl Lewis) that do/did little or no wts.

Wts is also time consuming in relation to its benefits. Get to gym, warm up, train, get back etc takes me 90 mins. Which could be a long run. Or a speed session with long warm up, lots of reps etc.
    I do plyos or core work for 15 mins before or after a run. Or as the only thing on an off day. A few regular sessions fit in easily and dont take any large chunks of time.
    Circuits take more time, but also have an aerobic benefit.

But yes I still weight train, but only for vanity !