Options

Recovery run v gym session

Can anyone offer me some advice. I am running 3 times a week and find anymore than that leads to injury exhaustion etc. So I now go to the gym in between runs. Is a gym session, 10 mins CV work and then general weight training session equal to a recovery run or would I still need to do a recovery run after a harder run?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Barty

I my opinion a rest day after a hard run day can be either total rest, a bike ride, a swim or time in the gym. It's purpose is to give your legs a break from the constant pounding they take while running.

As for more than three runs leading to exhaustion or injury, are you running all you runs at a fast pace? If so this is probably the problem.

Run most of your runs at a easy pace. A pace you could hold a conversation at. If you run alone try to sing a song to yourself. If you can't without gasping for breath you are running too fast. Running at this pace will enable you to build slowly up to running either additional days or additional time/distance.

I don't know how long you are running or what weekly distance or indeed your reason for running, but if you are like me and mostly run for health, fitness and weight control then there is no need to constantly punish yourself running fast all the time.

If you are running as training for racing then you should make sure you built up a solid base of easy areobic running before adding in speed work.

Just my tuppence worth, Happy running.

MK