Options

Not quite a beginner

I've just joined runners world and think I'm becoming addicted. I've been running for myself for about a year but this year's been patchy due to a couple of injuries. I've decided to up the stakes and joined a track club and bought fell shoes. However, going back to running this last two weeks, I feel like I haven't done a days exercise in my life. I don't seem to fall into the categories of beginner or serious runner on this site and need some advice on how to get back into it. My lungs are fine but my body's refusing to get past 2 miles. Any tips?

Jo

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jo

I'm no expert, only running these last 19 months, but maybe you should forget about distance for the time being and run by time.

That way you run for about 20 minutes 3/4 times per week, for a week or two and when you get used to that amount of time you add on a few minutes to some of your runs until you have one long run of about 1 hour and the other runs about 45 minutes. Always wait till you are comfortable at you new time duration before upping the duration again.

As you have run before, it will not take you long to retrain your body back to the level you used to run at. Once you are running comfortable again you can start to look at more structured training if you wish.

Good luck, take it slowly, you have the rest of your life and remember, listen to your body. It knows best ;)

Happy Running,

MK