Options

Excersie

Just wondered how much training other people do and if I do too much. My weekly log:

Monday: AM: 3-4 mile run PM: 40-60 minutes CV in the gym plus weights

Tuesday: 10 mile run

Wedensday: AM: Swimming 60 lengths PM: 60 minutes plus CV plus weights.

Thursday: 8 mile run

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Gym or 6-8 mile run

Sunday: AM: 8 mile run PM: swimming 60 lengths.

Comments

• Options
    I think it really depends on loads of things. Work commitments, sleep, diet etc.
    To be honest sometimes I do more and sometimes less, it really depends how I feel.
    Obviously pro sports people do more but they can rest all day (lucky buggers).

If I feel fine and not too sore then I usually go for a run or to the gym. It's also going to be much easier if you are very fit.
    You are very commited though ! I just aim to do something every day with a days rest but you are often doing 2 sessions a day.

Bottom line is that if you feel ok then you're doing great. I'm sure your body will tell you if you try to over do it.

Good luck
  • Options
    Having looked at your profile obviously you are an experienced runner & can cope with what you are doing.
    If you feel that you are doing too much then by all means cut back a little but increase the quality of your runs.
    Maybe change your rest day to in between your harder sessions or have a gentle recovery run then.

Regards,

Max. ;-)

• Options
    What did you do on Friday?
  • Options
    BR - just ask how much Andy collier and some of the other Tri guys do per week. It makes what you do look like a picnic...

Saying that, yours makes my training look like nothing very much...

But as people say..depends what you want to do...
  • Options
    Does it feel too much?
  • Options
    This week

Mon,am, 10x1km reps, pm 5 miles
    Tue, am 10 miles, pm 5 miles
    Wed, 20 mile run
    Thu, am 10 miles, pm 5 miles
    Fr, 22 mile run,
    Sat, Rest
    Sun, am 10 miles, pm 5 miles

Total 100 miles.
    I'm not joking.
  • Options
    minimum guidelines for health benefits are 20 minutes 3 times per week, so looking at it with that in mind you could be doing way to much. obviously you must be training for an event or peak fitness, but 1hr per day 6 days per week is ample, easy one hard one etc. watch for overtraining signals.all of us are different in many ways,recover quickly /slowly .
  • Options
    Yoi,
    It does border on overtraining, but it is specific, and you can do that with good results, over short periods as long as you're careful. I'm aiming for the FLM, so I will start to taper off in a few weeks time.
    This can only be done though, if you already run a high base mileage and can recover quickly.
  • Options
    i agree with you pete s good luck at flm .you must be looking at a very quick time?
  • Options
    Aiming for sub 2.30, if going well, otherwise 2.35. Cheers Yoi.
  • Options
    wow! pete s thats olympic mate .do you know what the fast times are for flm?
  • Options
    As a vet, I'm hoping for a top 5 vet, but all age groups, the big boys run 2.05 - 2.10.Now that is FAST.
  • Options
    Why the rest day Pete? You scared of hard training?:-)

Is that a typical week - just one speed session and plenty of steady runs? Intrigued with the 2 long runs as well - is that a regular feature?
  • Options
    Age, now 42, I like the rest, and I get less injuries.
    Normal week is 2 reps, 1 long + hills, tempo or fartlek.
    Only 1 rep session session this week due to the higher mileage.
    Long run followed by a long run 2 days later is something my coach has used on other runners to good effect.It's only this week that I'm doing it ( thank god ) and only time will tell if it works for me.
    I tend to follow the advice of my coach as he helped get my half mar time down from 1.18 to 1.12 in 6 months.
    Good luck with your final weeks
    Pete
  • Options
    That's some improvement on the HM time, Pete!
  • Options
    Love "Hard Training"
    Also love family,
    Don't want to lose either.
    Tell wife that I take Sundays off for the family. Does the job!!