Options

Anxious running first 1/2 Marathon

Hi, I am running my first half marathon in just over three weeks and am feeling a little anxious generally and like I haven't trained enough.  I haven't participated in any other events!

I committed to the 1/2 back in November 2015 with some work colleagues (11 of us, various levels of fitness, only 1 pro) and started training straight away on the c25k app from nothing, Before the app I was running occasionally on the treadmill. I was a bit afraid of running outdoors at first and people seeing me!  Best thing I ever did, I discovered that I loved running outdoors and its the first exercise I really enjoy, still prefer running with my back to oncoming traffic but am now running where people might see me!  I am overweight (5ft4 13.5st) with a lot of it up front which I think makes running even more difficult.

From the start I tried to run 3 times a week following the app, my average is 12 mins per mile and this is what i've based my finish time on, just hoping to finish it, not set any records.  I have also recently started doing other things, exercise classes (bums, legs and tums, pump it up, clubbersize etc) for general fitness plus occasional bike rides for variety and one or two runs a week just lately average 6 miles non stop running.

I run slowly and at my own pace, I try not to compare myself to others as I can only do what I can do.  The furthest distance I have run so far is 9 miles and did that a couple of weeks ago.  Have also at the start of the week ran a mile under 11 mins, was quite proud of myself. Set out this morning to try and run more than 9, did 6 and had to stop as I found it quite difficult, legs felt tired and I generally felt tired although breathing felt ok (I am not keen on running in the morning, prefer pm but the 1/2 starts at 10am so thought i'd better give it a go).  It was cloudy but warm and I think my legs were aching from LBT Wednesday.

I think I'm just looking for words of advice, encouragement, your own stories to help me through these next 3 weeks, one of which I will be doing very little as it is the week before the 1/2 and another when I am away on holiday (bad timing).

Am I going to be scooped up by the sweepers? Any advice? image

Comments

• Options

if you can do 9miles its not that much longer. Are you going to use any energy drink gels for the run @ the end of the half hopefully you will be training more &looking forward to your next event good luck

• Options

I spent 7 years aiming for a half marathon before I finally achieved it last year.  What made the difference for me in the end was friends who offered to support me on the day.  I'd done very little training for it.  But I knew I was capable of walking 13 miles so it was a case of, on that basis, I knew I could get round it - and it was just a case of running as much of it as I was able.  I took a couple of days off work before the weekend of the race so was a relaxed as I could be before it.  

On the basis of what you've said I would have thought you are capable of running the majority of the distance - and that should be enough to keep you ahead of the sweepers.

good luck.

• Options
    Chris2304Chris2304 ✭✭✭

If you can get round 9miles on a training run, you can def do a half marathon. Just make sure you run at your own pace, and slow down if you not 'feeling it' early on. Don't be intimidated. I'm certain you'll look back after the run and think 'that wasn't too bad, was it?' image

• Options
    Thank you for your responses!

Anthony Dunn 5 I haven't tried any gels as also worried about getting an upset stomach or cramp half way round, do you know if this is possible?

Purple Green Imp some of my work colleagues have become good friends during the training and I run at the same pace of at least one in the group so we are hoping to motivate each other when it gets hard and we have said we will walk if we need to, I think that will be a massive help on the day. My family are coming to watch and we run passed our work place but I find that worse! Would rather no one saw me image

And thank you Chris2304 just the words I need to keep hearing and I look forward to thinking it wasn't too bad, might not be straight after though image

Three weeks today! :-O
  • Options
    Meant stitch, not cramp although stomach cramps would not be good!
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    +1 with Chris2304, I ran my 1st half with a longest run of 8miles (a 10K where we got misdirected) and was fine, as you will be.

Just take it easy, the last mile may seem a long one, but you'll finish ok, trust me,image

NB. you don't need gels on a half, just be careful if its hot, plenty of water and stop at the stations to make sure you take a whole cupful.
  • Options
    Thanks senidM Doing the 9 miles felt like I'd done all I could do, hoping the adrenaline carries me for the last 4.1 miles! Does everyone feel ok drinking water then carrying on running?
  • Options

I always find that a difficult one.  When running a 10k I usually won't drink any water at all - unless it's particularly warm day.  But on a half I'm aware that I really need to - but find it difficult to do without stopping running.  But if I'm running OK at that point then I don't really want to stop running.  But I tend to take the view that I need to be sensible - so if I really should be having a drink then I need to make sure that I do.  But stopping running only makes it more difficult to start though.

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

I habitually sip little and often whilst running- about 1 sip per km, more if very hot. If there is electroylte drink ( as long as it's not lucozade sport) I woudl think of using it on a hot half if you're going to be more than 2 hours.

As far as finishing goes- do you have results from last year? What is th etime limit for your race? How long did ut take you to do the 9miles? - if you have to run/ walk the rest, will you make it?

And finally- do not fear coming last- I did it once, and got a hero's reception when I got to the end ( perhaps because they could finally get away, but whatever!)

• Options
    All very sensible advice above. If you can get a 10 mile run under your belt before the race that would be nice as it's a good feeling to know you can get into double figures, but it's by no means necessary. There's a very good chance there will be people in the race who haven't run as far as you in training.

It's good to drink little and often, so you may want to experiment with carrying a bottle/water bladder. Or otherwise, take a short walk break at the water stations to make sure you get several swallows of water in at each one. You don't really need fuel for a half, but you could take a gel for a bit of a boost in the latter stages - or carry some jelly babies or other sweets if you don't fancy gels. But whatever you take, try them out on a couple of training runs first - you don't want any nasty surprises on race day!
  • Options

Lots of good advice already.

Just wanted to say your tired legs were probably a combination of the hotter weather of late and, as you mentioned, your recent exercise class. Don't let one difficult training session put you off.

Also, I'd agree with Rodent... if you can manage one 10 mile run some time this week that will help you with your confidence - but not within the two weeks immediately before the HM as you may well end up feeling very drained after the 10-miler and it will be counter productive.

As everyone else has said - you will be able to do it. Good luck!

• Options

I would add

Just try and enjoy the experience and sense of achievement in taking part and remember that the pride will last longer than the run.

There are bound to be a lot of people of all shapes and sizes going at different speeds, and some won’t make it to the finish line.

You can gain something from the atmosphere of the event, with other participants and supporters to motivate you. And don’t forget the marshals, many of whom are probably associated with a running club - give them a smile and a thank you, they are sure to give you some encouragement.

Good luck!

• Options

Hi all,

1 ever post image

I'm running my 1 half marathon this Sunday(can't believe I'm writing that image).

Am 43 and started running before Xmas

I have been doing my longer runs with a Hydration belt with 2 170ml bottles,as then I can drink when I want.

Are there many who use these for Half Marathons?

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments and hi Devy33, will have a look at the hydration belt, I've certainly not used one before. Good luck for Sunday ???? scary and exciting at the same time!

So tonight I went out with 3 others in my group with the intention of running 10 miles. Due to many reasons (but not mine - trying different insoles, knee playing up and one training not as far ahead, we have covered 12.5 miles but half running half walking. I feel like I had more in me but chose to wait with the others while they sorted themselves out. We covered 12.5 miles in around 3 hours (had to have some stops to wait for others to catch up. Either way with your comments and the distance covered I am feeling better about attempting the half. Am running out of time now to get more training in due to work commitments and a few days away but know one way or another I will be covering the whole distance. Found I really enjoyed it tonight in the small group and even ran towards on coming traffic with little care ???? Thanks everyone and still happy to hear any tips or your stories to keep motivating me ad I will no doubt get scared again as we approach the day.