Options

Ready or not?

One month ago I had got up to 30 miles a week with a long run of 12-14 miles cross-country or multi-terrain, a couple of hard, fast club runs and one recovery run. It was just feeling like it was all coming together when I got gastric flu. I lost a lot of mileage and took three weeks to feel like my legs were working properly again. During this time my long run was 9-10 miles multi-terrain and not at all last weekend as I raced a 10K (dubious distance but around 42 mins I reckon with times adjusted to a true 10K).

I have entered the Doncaster Half on Sunday and would still like to run it. Do I tackle it as a training run? Will I get round without disgracing myself? Or do I just start and see how I feel?

Comments

• Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    How well can you gauge it? How long does it take to tell if your legs are happy or not?

If I start cautiously, by mile 3 I know whether it's going to work or not, and either carry on cautiously or slow down even if it's no-go, or else step up the pace and do some (relatively) fast work.

Seems to me that you could start cautiously, review the circs at mile 3 and up the speed if all is going well.

Not a recipe for a personal best, but likely to provide negative splits if it proves to be a good day after all.

But strange things happen: sometimes being ill is the one way people actuallycan be persuaded to give themselves enough rest. Gastric flu, though, I don't know.

I am in a similar position re Linton for Sunday week. Had one or two good runs in January, but since then training has been shot to pieces, the lurgy has returned, and I've been running with great difficulty.

My intention is to try it anyway and see if I can limp round. No PB's here.

• Options
    Thank-you guys. Actually, the 10K last Sunday was a PB by 2 minutes (even accounting for the dodgy measurement) so I know that I have managed to get my speed back. I am not expecting a fast half but finishing it and feeling OK would be acceptable!

Good luck and stay well Stickless.