Options

10k times?

Hi, I'm quite new to running as I've only been running for the past two months or so. At the moment I am able to run a 5k generally between 27mins - 30mins. I am looking to enter a 10k next Spring and I was wondering what sort of time I should aim for (I am 17 years old, female) as i would like to have a goal to work towards. At the moment, my personal best for 10k is 1hour 8mins. 

Comments

• Options
    It's a difficult one to answer without knowing anything about your background, but when I first started running a few years back (I was 28 back then) I found I quickly went from 1hr to 55, then 50, then 45 (maybe over six months).

So somewhere around 50 minutes would seem a sensible target to me (but I'm no expert!)

This was running 3/4 times a week, mainly slow pace with the odd speed session. Key I found was getting a Garnin and learning to pace myself. Also, lots of stretching - and up your distance gradually to avoid over stressing your body.

Hope this helps...and good luck!
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    As above but stretching is hokum and only worth doing if you suffer with cramps.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

I reckon if you have the motivation to train well you could make significant gains fairly quickly which would make a goal of sub 50 minutes achievable by next Spring. I would suggest finding and following a training plan to suit your specific requirements. Good luck with it and enjoy!image

• Options

Start aiming for 1 hour and adjust your goal as you progress, taking it in stages may seem more manageable.

• Options
    Chris2304Chris2304 ✭✭✭

Agreed. You will make good progress quickly. But remember that it's non-linear, so you will go from 30 mins for 5k down to 25mins fairly quickly, but then it will take longer to get to 23 mins, and so on.

I think under an hour is always a good time, and sub-50 mins is doable. But next spring is a long way off. Why not try for under one hour in Sept or Oct first?