Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all

HS: I sometimes have running dreams, and in mine I’m either running along effortlessly or, more usually, trying to run towards something but no matter how hard I try to reach it I can’t, because I’m just running on the spot. Weird.
    Thanks for the advice (also JB) about modifying my training plan when required. 
    (I thought it was blue and green that should never be seen?)
    JB: Great news regarding your son’s job, it’s so nice to hear some good news for a change. Poor Lily, (and parents!) it’s hard work keeping them occupied at home for 10 days. Our grandson was sent home from nursery last Monday as one of the children there tested positive for Covid, my son reports that g’son is so bored he’s “bouncing off the walls”. 😮
    I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again - you really are a glutton for punishment. I can’t imagine anyone rowing 10k for enjoyment, having said that I have to agree with HS that you accomplished it in a great time, but running a speedy 7k the following morning could be considered showing off. Just saying.😉

A rest day for me today (apart from Pilates, which I enjoyed). I’m thinking of trying a new route tomorrow for my easy 4 miler. I have one in mind but I need to check it for distance, so I’ll do that now while I think about it.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Aquarius - I know I'm improving at golf and the 'duff' shots are becoming a bit rarer so my aim is to beat Alan as regularly as he beats me. Of course, the downside may be my handicap may be adjusted downwards. It was me said I wanted to stop and that was because of my foot - if my foot hadn't been sore by then I'm sure, soaked through as we were, we'd have battled on to the bitter end. It was the first cramp I'd had for years so yes, hopefully it's a one-off. Don't know about Alan and I blinding the other golfers - there's a certain element of getting our own back on them for their colourful tops ;) Not surprised to read you were a bit stiff after cleaning the kitchen on top of strength training. Good idea to modify your training plan to give yourself a break from the harder sessions. I read on further and you thought it was blue & green not being seen together? At this rate I'll have to phone Alan to see what he's planning to wear ;) Hope your new route works out okay.

JB - why am I not surprised to hear your rest day wasn't and you did another hard session on the rower? Good news about your son being offered a job by a company he has freelanced for. My son has been 'drifting' since dropping out of Uni and I wish I could give you the same news about him :( But not-so-good news about Lily and the rest of the class having to self-isolate.

HS - wasn't aware of that saying about red & green not being seen together .. I'll have to tell Alan but given we often end up on opposite sides of the fairway, may only be a problem on the tees or greens :) I won't be making any jam - but 'Jammy Granny' aka. Margaret will no doubt be making some (as well as with the gooseberries, blackberries and anything else she can lay her hands on). If I get running again and any dogs jump up at me I'll be tempted to kick them and if the owner complains, I'll say I was only playing! I think JB can row 10K faster than you can run it because he's sitting down throughout ;)

Our patio is looking 'good as new' - well, almost. I got the pressure washer out this morning and cleaned all the dirt and muck off it. Stopped for a break and coffee and then did the path down the side of the house as well. That path had been getting a bit slippery in the wet just lately so it looks better now and hopefully, will be a bit safer to walk on.

Been out and watered the plants (my runner beans & raspberries and Margaret's various plants dotted around the borders) as we're likely not going to see any rain until the end of the week.

Tomorrow's job may well be washing the cars as they're both dirty but Margaret's is especially dusty and sticky as it's under a tree.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd pop back to say I went for a walk before breakfast and did just under 3mls. And only note-worthy because during the 2nd half of the walk, I decided to break into a slow jog and did that off and on for half a mile or so. My right knee felt okay-ish (slightly uncomfortable, but hoping that's just due to doing something other than walking) so I'm now waiting with interest to see how my knee is for the next day or two.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    WtnMel: Lucky you having the choice of so much homemade jam :).
    That's a great idea for when a dog jumps up at you to kick it and say you were only playing - I'll keep that one in mind. 
    I see you have been busy again, this time with a pressure washer, and today you are planning to wash the cars. It makes me tired just reading about all the jobs you do, you must have boundless energy (or a low boredom threshold).
    Great news that you included a slow jog in your walk this morning, I've been meaning to ask you whether you were going to try a jog again, fingers (and everything else) crossed that this is the start of your return to running!

An easy 4 mile run today, but uphill for the first 1.25 miles, by the end of which I was doing my "old woman shuffle" but then the gradient evened out and it got a bit easier. 
    Following on from my post yesterday and news of grandson's self isolation, our granddaughter was sick on her way to school today, meaning she has to stay off for the rest of the week. I had my suspicions at breakfast as she was almost sick then, but seemed to pick up and was quite cheerful when my son took her to school. Luckily her mother is working from home and able to look after her, so I don't have to do my "Nurse Grandma" duties. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Aquarius - I didn't wash the cars today. With the sun out, I thought they might end up smeary if the soapy water dried off too quickly. So I'll leave it until we have a cloudier day. Instead, I've cut the laurel hedge by the compost bins. That's just a small one - the main hedge which has also grown a lot in the last couple of weeks is four times as long. You forgot another reason for doing the jobs might be because Margaret 'suggests' they need doing to keep me on my toes ;) My knee seems okay after my (very!) short bit of jogging this morning. If I get up in time for a walk and it seems to be okay I'll try the same again tomorrow. Glad to hear you managed your 4ml run okay even if you did have to resort to an 'old woman shuffle'. When I was doing my 'old man shuffle' while jogging this morning a younger lady passed me and she wasn't shuffling at all - but her very long hair was flying back and forth a lot .. would have thought that would be irritating for her so surprised she didn't have it tied up. Lucky for you Mum was WFH so you didn't have to do an unplanned 'Nurse/Grandma' duties.

Edited: to say I forgot to mention I phoned the golf club earlier and the new electric trolley and travel bag for it have arrived. Still waiting for the accessory station and umbrella holder but I've said I'll pop down in the morning to pay for and collect them and will call in again when the other accessories arrive.

• Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, dreams are weird really, and it's odd that we remember some, but forget the majority.
    The morning Doctor on this mornings news programme was saying how ridiculous it was, sending a whole class, and sometimes a whole year home, when one child tests positive with Covid. 
    New routes are always productive.

WtnMel, yes, I remember red and green should never be seen, being mentioned when I was in my teens. It was because the two colours were said to clash on clothing. I think I was caught out once by wearing a red tie with a green shirt. 
    Home made jam, very yummy. There is a garden centre in Beaulieu that sells a variety of home made products.
    I've never heard of anyone rowing, standing up🤣
    Well done for your patio efforts with the pressure washer. A couple of years ago, a cold caller offered to pressure wash mine for £150.00. I asked him if he was joking and he said no. He eventually lowered the price to £80.00, at which stage I told him to fxxx himself. I mentioned it to a friend who said that he would do it, and it would only cost a coffee. 
    Be a bit careful washing the cars with your pressure washer. Our running club President once took his car to one of the hand washing car washes, and they burst the sills under the doors.
    I saw on Strava that you had tried a slow jog and were waiting to see if there were any after effects. I hope there haven't been any.

Aquarius, again! Well done for your hilly 4miles this morning.
    Sorry to hear that your Granddaughter was sick on the way to school, and had to return home. I hope that she will soon be feeling better. Lucky that her mother is working from home, so that you don't "have to do the honours!"

I ran 10k in the forest this morning with Sarah H, which included 4 x 800 metres on a gravel track. My splits were 4.39, 4.19, 4.17 and 4.16. Sarah's were a bit slower.
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Mel, good to hear you've tried a jog. Hope there are no side-effects. Mrs JB made some rhubarb & strawberry jam which I'm looking forward to trying on the sourdough bread she makes (= domestic goddess).

Aquarius, my goodness, that's a fair bit of troublesome news. We've already reorganised our next 9 days to help out with Lily. It's all logistically challenging. I certainly agree with others that a whole class being sent home for 10 days is a bit of an over reaction to a single (and asymptomatic) case of Covid. 

Nice training session HS. I'm sure the sunshine helps.

I have to play the modesty card with respect to the rowing. It's really just a matter of coping with the boredom, the heat and the hardness of the seat. Today I did a bit more cross-training, this time on the bike. This was a 25 mile round trip to meet a friend in Brighton. Riding there I thought that I had the wind against me. Riding home I KNEW  I had the wind against me. It was very hard work, but great training.
    Brighton looked much quieter than usual for this time of year. No surprise, but the papers have been banging on about how 'well' seaside towns have been doing. But I guess this is a relative term 
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 

JB, thanks. The sunshine does help, but the 800 metre trail was in the shade, and sheltered from the wind, which helped. It was also fairly flat, but there were lots of roots to negotiate.
    Well done for your 25 mile bike ride. You must be super fit, with the running,  rowing, cycling, press ups etc. The forest is also quieter than expected, but the parts where we run are normally quiet anyway.

It was hot and humid this morning, and I ran a very slow 13k (8 miles) It was on and off roads, and I was doing some exploring, which I walked.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - similar to your pressure washer man, we seem to have tree surgeons pop by regularly asking if we want any trees cut and starting prices are often £150 or more (we've only used one and beat him down to £75 and tbh, he was a bit rubbish anyway). I wouldn't ever use the pressure washer on a car - my friend Alan's son made that mistake and took some of the trim off his car. No after-effects that I've noticed after jogging for a bit yesterday. I'm hoping to walk on Sat and will probably try the same again. Very early days though and I'm going to increase my time jogging very slowly and see what happens. Well done re your 10K in the forest with Sarah H and your subsequent 8ml exploratory run.

JB - as mentioned above to HS, no discernible after-effects from the small amount of jogging yesterday. Don't think Margaret considers herself a domestic goddess - although she doesn't make bread, she is very good at making jam & marmalade and can rustle up tasty meals from leftovers (she always says that's because she's 'old school' unlike these throwaway youngsters). When Alan and I used to cycle regularly on a Sun morning, we were convinced the wind would turn around so we had it against us on the outward half and on the return leg.

I've been to the golf course and picked up my new electric trolley and travel cover. They knocked another £20 off the price of those two items so even more of a bargain. I'll get a phone call when the accessory station and umbrella holder have arrived. While I was there I had a practise session on the driving range - a few 'duffers' as per usual but the rest were okay, if not better (straighter & longer) drives than usual. Fingers crossed (yet again) I can play well tomorrow when I'm playing Alan.

Haven't done a lot else today. Certainly no car washing or anything else as I seemed to spend a lot of the afternoon reading the trolley instructions and waiting for the battery to charge up then having a 'play' with it to get used to the folding/unfolding mechanism and how to operate the trolley.
  • Options
    HS, I would have thought that you already know every nook and cranny of the NF, and that there would be little left to explore. How many years have you been running there?

Mel, well done on your bargaining capabilities. That's another skill I've not ever acquired. Mrs JB is another from the 'old school' and hates throwing out food. I think she'd have done well in the war with the 'dig for victory' and 'make do and mend' type culture. 

Quiet day for me with grandchild minding responsibilities - mostly undertaken by Mrs JB I should add. As is my wont, I decided on a whim to have a thrash on the rower over the standard 2k distance and hammered out a season's best, which is still a long way from last year's efforts an even further from the really decent guys of my age and weight category.* On the fitness issue raised by HS, I've never solely concentrated on running (if I had I might be better at it). Taking of which I checked out my VO2 max based on running and rowing data and both put me around the 42-45 mark.

*in a moment of boredom, I typed 'indoor rowing results' into Google. It came up randomly with an event in Wales and to my delight I saw that I would have come 7th in the national championships. I was less impressed to see that this was in the 'Female Students' Lightweight' class! Sad but true.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, A couple of years ago, I had a cold call from a man who wanted to dig up the hedge in my front garden. He wanted £350.00 and said that the hedge was dead, and that the roots were spreading under the road. I said that it wasn't dead and I didn't want it removed. He called his mate, who was sat in their unmarked lorry, and he also tried to convince me that it should be removed. Eventually, I lost my rag and told them to go away. I didn't swear, as the neighbours might have been offended. After a few minutes they did go, but not before saying "hope you die!" I replied by saying "hope you do too!"

Well done for negotiating a reduction to the price of the electric trolley and travel cover.

JB, I've been running in the forest on and off for 43 years, but there is still a lot to explore.

Well done for your 2k rowing seasons best. I can actually beat you in one respect, and that is a Vo2 max of 48. I bet you wish that you hadn't googled "indoor running results" now.

A rest day from running for me today, but I did a lot of stretching exercises this morning.
    The new Asics that I ordered from Wiggle arrived this afternoon, and I'm walking around indoors in them to get used to them. 
  • Options
    HS, that is one impressive Vo2 'score'. As a matter of interest which calculator did you use? My friend gets his from his Garmin (mine doesn't have such a fancy facility).
    He thought my Vo2 would be well over 50, based on his. 
    Anyway, here is the link to the one I use. I've no idea whether it has predictive validity, but as I said in the previous it is kind of reassuring that my rowing one and the running one are about the same results wise.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/vo2-max-runners

Talking of which I belted out a 5k row today and got an SB. The Lord loves a trier, or so they say!

Back to running tomorrow, as I guess so will you be. Now that my rowing time has dipped about 10 seconds below my current running time, I feel I ought to catch up with it. I'm sure that this way madness lies.

Meanwhile, Matt Hancock continues to distinguish himself! 

PS 43 years - wow. I've been running around my current area for a mere 33 years.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

JB - I realised I had miscalculated and it turns out they didn't knock another £20 off. But it was very competitively priced anyway so I've still done better than I could have elsewhere. Well done re your two SB's on the rower - just a shame you can't enter the lightweight female student category if you enter any competitions :)

HS - re the hedge, what a nasty pair of rip-off merchants. As mentioned to JB, I imagined that extra £20 discount. Hope those new Asics work out okay for you when you try running in them.

For comparison, I checked on my Garmin and my VO2 Max score is 41 ..

Played golf with Alan earlier. Lost again (by 10 strokes) but I was playing okay apart from a few duff shots and drives. But as usual, when I play a little bit better, Alan seems to have a good day too. For comparison, I managed 2 pars/9 bogies (1 over par) whereas Alan managed 7 pars/8 bogies. The undoubted highlight of my round was sinking a 25 foot putt from the edge of the 8th green for a par. When I tried the new electric golf trolley on the back lawn yesterday, it didn't seem to be 'pulling' as I was expecting. I mentioned it to Alan before we started this morning - he pointed out I'd put the wheels on the wrong way round and that's why they weren't being driven properly by the motor! Once I had swapped them over the trolley worked perfectly! ;) And I have to say, being able to walk along after the trolley on the fairways and using the power to get up any slopes means I'm not half as worn out as usual. I should probably have treated myself years ago! :)

Hoping to get out for a walk tomorrow morning and will probably try another short jog section to see how the knee behaves.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Mel, the next time I have a bad run I'll check and see if I've fixed my legs on the wrong way round! Some encouraging signs in your golf game. I hope there were spectators for that putt. Remember that shot the next time you are having a bad round.

A 41 Vo2 is very good for our age group.

A perfect morning here. The sun twinkling on a deep blue and calm sea. The merest suggestion of a cooling sea breeze. Lovely. So I had to do it justice and indeed ran my best 5k for a while: 22.29 @ 75.3% WAVA.

I see Mo F failed in his attempt to qualify for the 10K at the Olympics. This is the first time in my memory that the BBC have not covered the Olympic trials. This is a shame. Surely it wouldn't be a big ticket spending item? Disappointing - especially when you think of the money they throw at other things.

PS I now need to improve my 5K row by 15 seconds. Oh no!
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Afternoon,

WtnMel: Glad to hear your knee didn’t trouble you after your jog on Wednesday. Did you manage to go for another one today? Sorry about the golf, but at least you are not having to drag that trolley after you now you have your new electric one (and have worked out how to put the wheels on). My Garmin VO2 max is 39, haven’t tried to work it out on any other sites. My hair is shoulder length, but I tie it back or at least hold it in place with a hairband when I run otherwise it blows across my face and really annoys me. When I see lady runners with long ponytails I’m mesmerised by the regular to and fro swishing of their hair. 

HS: Are you finding your new Asics comfortable? I used to wear Gel Nimbus until Asics “improved” the toe box and they became too narrow for me. Do you think you hold the record for the number of years of running in the NF? I imagine 43 will be hard to beat. How old were you when you first started running competitively? 
    How did your not a parkrun go today?

JB: Well done for your 25 mile bike ride, particularly as it was so windy. I think we all know what you mean when you say you thought you were riding into the wind on the way there, but KNEW you were on the way back. How many times have runs turned out like that. I was very impressed to read that your indoor rowing times would place you 7th in the Welsh national championships, but even more impressed that you owned up to it being in the Female Students Lightweight class :D.  I hope Lily is remaining symptom free for Covid and isn’t getting too bored by her enforced “holiday” (or is she having home schooling?). Great 5k time for you today, I expect you are looking forward to the return of parkrun. Our local one still hasn’t given permission to re-open.

I had a horrible run yesterday, strong wind and driving rain for 8.5 miles. Knowing I was going to get pretty wet I'd put a change of clothing in the car, but my hands were so cold when I’d finished I couldn’t get them to work so Steve had to do the honours. Fortunately it was such a horrible morning no one else had ventured to the reservoir therefore the car park was empty. Which was just as well because I was soaked to the skin and shivering so everything had to come off. We’d just got finished, and I was fully clothed again, as an intrepid dog walker turned up. If he’d arrived 30 seconds earlier…… 
    I was supposed to be doing hill repeats today, but the weather isn’t much better which gives me a good excuse to give today's session a miss. I was tired after yesterday’s run, but woke up feeling okay this morning so was in two minds regarding running, but having thought it through I decided to stick with my original idea to give it a miss. I need to swap Monday’s 8 mile run for Wednesday’s 4 mile easy run (haven’t time this week to fit in 8 miles on Monday), so I might incorporate hill repeats in the easy run and that way I’ll still be including hill work in a session. The only problem with moving sessions around like this is I’ll end up with three hard sessions in 4 days (Wednesday, Friday and Saturday) so I may well end up having to give next Saturday’s session a miss too. 

I’m currently watching the British Athletics Championships on Youtube. Disgraceful that the BBC wouldn’t pay the fee to show this event. Poor Mo, it was painful watching him last night in the latter stages of the 10k. I wonder if he’ll return to the road now?

Now I know where Matt Hancock's pink ties have been coming from. What a bunch of hypocrites they are, it's no surprise Boris won’t take any action. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

JB - sadly, there were no spectators for my 25ft putt, not even Alan. He was looking for something in his golf bag as I took my putt and so he missed it - but was amazed when he looked up to see the ball had disappeared into the hole. Glad to hear you had a nice morning for your 5k run and well done re the time/WAVA.

Aquarius - as mentioned below, no walking today. An easy mistake to make re the wheels of the trolley but I did feel suitably silly when Alan pointed out my mistake (my excuse is some of the instructions talk about left/right from the handle end and some from the front wheel). Sorry to hear you had bad weather for your run yesterday but impressed by the mileage you managed. I guess you were lucky to have Steve with you with your hands getting numb. Lucky he was there to help you get the wet stuff off and get dressed again but had to chuckle at your timing so that the intrepid dog-walker didn't cop an eyeful. Are you sure you don't want to join me at Druridge in September ;):) I don't blame you not doing the hill repeats after yesterday's long run - if it was me, I'd be having a rest day between sessions. Good luck again with tweaking your training sessions.

We've been pottering in the back garden today and attacking the weeds and other self-seeded stuff that was taking over the border by the path. Having dug up the stuff we didn't want, we were able to finally see a shrub we did want which had been hidden from view under everything else. I have fitted some horizontal wires to the fence and have tied the branches of that shrub onto them to bring some order to the chaos :)

No walk early today - I must have been worn out after the golf and slept in until 8am. I won't try tomorrow as we have a club swim night so I'll be trying to do 32 lengths again which will be plenty of exercise for one day.

I'll probably try and walk again early on Mon morning and then the u3a 'coffee & chat' group is meeting again at 11am (me and the 'ladies') and this time, we're meeting up in Pittville Park in Cheltenham. Just as well as I think it's a 'full house' of 8 or 9 of us.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

JB, I don't use a calculator to workout my Vo2 max, it is shown on Garmin Connect.
    Matt Hancock, him of the pink ties fame, is a plonker, always has been and always will be. Johnson won't sack him or the schools minister, as he likes to have ministers more useless than him. Surely he will have to resign, as he has lost all credibility.

WtnMel, there were a couple of men working in my next doors neighbour's front garden today, I hope they weren't ripping her off!
    I had to laugh at the wheels on your golf buggy being the wrong way round. Your golf standard does seem to be improving, but it's sods law that Alan's is too. Your Vo2 max is very good.
    Hope your walk/jog went well today?

JB again, well done for todays5k, another amazing time; I'm sure that your Vo2 max should be higher than what your calculator says. 
    I'm afraid that at age 38, Mo is too old to be competitive on the track, and should revert to the marathon again.

Aquarius, I think that your Vo2 max will soon get higher, with the quality training that you are doing, including the yoga etc.
    I'm always surprised seeing so many lady runners, tennis players etc with flowing pony tails. I would think that it acts as a sort of brake, not very streamlined.
    I've only worn my new Asics walking around indoors so far. My first outing in them will be a short road run.
    I imagine that I must hold the record for the number of years running in the forest.
    My first competitive race was way back in 1982, when I was 36. It was the Southampton Marathon which I ran in 3.39.50. I came 311th out of 769 runners, so not a bad debut.
    Todays not a parkrun was the 66th and I ran it with Sarah F in 28.42.
    The mind boggles at the thought of you doing a striptease in the car, and just getting fully clothed again before an intrepid dog walker came on the scene.
    Three hard training sessions in 4 days sounds a bit iffy, so take care, and don't pull a muscle etc.
    I don't think that Mo has any alternative but to return to the roads, unless he decides to retire. At the age of 38, he is at the crossroads.
    Boris won't sack Hancock because he is spineless. He is a liar and a cheat himself, so not surprising.

WtnMel, your post has just appeared, but I have to go now, so will reply tomorrow.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel: I see you’ve had another busy day in the garden, that can definitely be classified as cross training! We could barely see our garden today for the mist and rain. Sadly a lot of our newly planted border plants were flattened by yesterday’s heavy rain, but no doubt they’ll pick up again in a day or two.
    I hope you manage to do your 32 lengths again tomorrow night. Fingers crossed for nice weather on Monday for your u3a coffee and chat meeting.
    I’ll pass on skinny dipping at Druridge Bay thanks, although I am planning on running a 10k there on 5th September.

HS: Well done for yet another not a parkrun 5k. So your first competitive race was a marathon? You don’t do things by halves do you? 😀Not a bad time for a first outing, is that what gave you the running bug?

I’ve been watching the Tour de France highlights of the opening day. Two huge crashes, the first being caused by a spectator who’d stepped forward onto the road to hold up a banner for the camera, quite oblivious to the riders bearing down on her. It never fails to amaze me how close the spectators get to the riders, a H&S nightmare!

Our eldest son, the one who currently lives with us, got a text from the test and trace app this afternoon telling him to self isolate, so it looks like he’ll be confined to his bedroom for the next week or so. 😷
  • Options
    Aquarius, that run does indeed sound horrible. Form a distance it seems that there are just too many 'hard' sessions - and that if you defer one, then the others just stack up. Lily is only in Reception Year so the home schooling requirements are quite light. And she has Mrs JB - ex headteacher - as her personal tutor anyway. That self-isolating experience for your son sounds miserable. It seems so much harder on the young. I'm a fan of the Tour but I missed the first stage -there's just so much other sport to watch. The spectators can be crazy but that was beyond crazy. As a rugby fan I'm sure you'll be as disappointed as I am that the Lions have lost their inspirational captain.

HS, you are the Mr Consistent of the thread! Hope the new trainers knock a few seconds off your current times. I agree with your comments on Mo, Hancock and Johnson!

Mel, you are as busy as ever. How did you ever find time to fit in a run? Good luck with the swimming - especially if you go 'the extra length' (or 10). Loads more strawberries from the allotment yesterday. We end up giving 80% of them away. The only good thing about the wet weather is that we don't have to water the garden and allotment!

10k today. A rather miserable experience, especially after yesterday's idyllic conditions. Half of the run was into a very strong wind which saps the morale somewhat. Plus I cycled home into the same wind and got back rather drained. I managed a 49:44, which wasn't awful, but faded over the last part badly. It's not sensible to run a fast 5k on a Saturday an then try to run a fast 10K on a Sunday. My knee is also telling me that!
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    JB: I agree there’s a lot of sport on television at the moment, but as I’m not a fan of football or tennis that cuts down the difficult choices for me. 
    I feel really sorry for Alun Wyn Jones, so disappointing for injury to rob him of his place on the Lions tour.
    Bad enough that your 10k today was in windy conditions but having to cycle back in that wind too must have been “character forming” as they say. I’m not surprised you felt rather drained after that, hope your knee feels better soon.

Some strength work this morning, then yoga. Now watching the athletics on YouTube, T de F catch up later this evening.

• Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, I think that marathon certainly was the start of my love for running. My first 6 races were marathons, before I realised that there were also shorter races.
    I've also being watching the Tour de France, and in fact am watching it now.
    Sorry to hear that your eldest son has to self isolate for 10 days.
    Well done for your mornings strength work, followed by yoga.

JB, thanks! I haven't worn the new trainers outside yet, but the first run will be on roads and quite short.
    Well done for another sub 50 minute 10k, especially in windy conditions. Definitely a bad idea to run a fast 5k on Saturday, followed by a fast 10k on the Sunday.

This mornings forest run was rather special, as it was a Club's Sunday Social, with around 30 of us. We split into groups according to the legislation, and didn't "do a Hancock!" We ran 7.67 miles over a very wet and muddy terrain, including wading across several wide streams.
    The highlight was breakfasts in Sarah F's garden afterwards, raising sponsorship money for Portsmouth's hospitals, and Huntington's  Decease.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    HS: What a lovely way to spend a Sunday, running with friends and raising money for charity at the same time. Pity your course was rather wet and muddy though.

Today's 4 mile easy run (with hills) now done, next run will be an 8 mile one on Wednesday. 

The Aquarian clan members are variously under the weather or self isolating at the moment. Eldest son as reported previously is self isolating in his bedroom, younger son has a sickness bug, younger son's children both at home this week as their nursery has closed due to a member of staff having Covid, and Steve's achilles is playing up. I'm pleased to say I'm fine, apart from my ever present hamstrings tightness, but that's quite normal. 
  • Options
    HS, well done! An enjoyable and socially responsible way to spend the Sunday.

Aquarius, I know they say that bad luck comes in batches but your clan's seems unreasonable. That's grim. Hope the hammies don't play up. That, as they used to say, would put the tin hat on it.

Rest day here. Just a gentle bike ride to see some pals which I had to undertake on Mrs B's bike as I had a flat tyre. The sun has come out and is very hot.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, I'm feeling the effects of yesterdays run, as I ran with the fast group, and had to push myself really hard to keep up with them. We raised £300.00 from the breakfast which was a great success!

Well done for your hilly 4 miler, and good luck for Wednesdays 8 miles.
    Oh dear, the members of your clan are certainly going through the mill! Hopefully, your hamstrings will soon loosen up.

JB, thanks, Sunday really was a special day.
    Sounds like you are making the most of your rest day.

This morning was a forest run with the Monday group, and we ran 7.51 miles. I'm afraid that yesterdays decision to run with the fast group has hit me hard. I really struggled the whole way, during this mornings run, and had to walk at times. Tomorrow will definitely be a rest day.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - I hadn't realised Mo Farah is now 38 .. will wait with interest to see what he will decide to do in future. I guess he may decide to retire from competitive running and I'm sure some tv companies would give him a try at commentating? Well done re that club Sunday special - sounds quite hardcore if you were wading through streams and muddy conditions - and well done re the money you raised between you. And I see you have done another 7.5ml run today - there's no stopping you is there? Although I see you did have to walk at times. Enjoy your rest day (or two?).

Aquarius - I'd agree the gardening is a form of cross-training. Hope those new plants of yours that got flattened have sprung back up. Sorry to hear your son is having to self-isolate. As you'll probably recall, I'm not a football or tennis fan either .. it did make looking through the Radio Times much quicker as there are so many programmes I could just skip over. But I like rugby union, so was sorry to see Alun Wyn Jones got injured. And the Premiership final was really good viewing. I see you did a 4ml easy run and have an 8ml run on Wed - hope that goes okay and the weather gods are kind. Sorry to hear others of your family are suffering various illnesses. Fingers crossed you manage to keep yourself healthy.

JB - Mrs JB sounds like the sort of home-schooling teacher all children need .. must have been so hard for the mums and dads who have struggled to cope. Re that TDF spectator you and Aquarius mentioned - I hope the organisers do manage to track her down and sue her as they said they wanted to. Sorry to hear the latest 10k was in less than ideal weather. And I see you had a gentle bike ride but had to borrow Mrs JB's bike.

I didn't walk early this morning - didn't sleep that well and was still feeling the effects of managing 32 lengths (half mile) at last night's swim. Will try again in the morning.

The u3a 'coffee and chat' group met today - a full house this time .. all nine of us. We met in Pittville Park and were lucky with the weather but it wouldn't have mattered too much as we were able to sit outside, under cover, at the Pump Room. The leader Val had a couple of announcements. She's not here to arrange the next meeting in two weeks' time (we assured her we'll cope!). But more importantly, the second announcement was that she has volunteered us to make the teas at the next u3a 'open meeting' in August (apparently groups take it in turns to serve the teas and coffees). The open meetings have been on Zoom for a while so it will be quite strange actually getting together again at the village hall.

Some trivial bits and pieces of news for you .. 

The new golf trolley is bigger and heavier than the old one, not helped by fact you have the battery to contend with. After struggling with it a couple of times, I've realised life would be much simpler if I kept the battery separate and only fitted it to the trolley when I am at the golf course. That will save me doing anything to my back.

Having 'made do' for a few years, I finally got round to ordering some new swim goggles today. The old ones have been slowly letting more water in and it was time they were replaced.

And while I was on Amazon, I also ordered a foldable led light for the garage. The current 100w bulb doesn't really light up the whole garage and this looks like it will make life much easier (and brighter!) ..

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Popped back to say I did manage to get up this morning and did a 3ml walk before breakfast. I broke into a jog at around the 2ml point and ran for 200yds or so. I didn't feel exactly comfortable - it all felt a bit clunky - but I think that's just my body getting used to running again. I don't have any pain in the right knee so fingers crossed all will be well.

In the meantime, I've taken the decision to leave my club Almost Athletes. Apart from one guy from the Thu group, no-one appears to have noticed I've not been running for months, let alone check how things are. So I've decided to do my own thing instead ..

We have a couple of double-glazed windows that have 'blown' (misting up inside). Had a phone call earlier to say they've arrived so the window company will be round in a bit to fit the new sealed units. They're going to take a look at out letterbox, which has been leaking slightly in heavy rain, while they're here.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    HS, Doctor JB orders you to have a rest day! Unfortunately Dr. JB is a hypocrite as on his 'rest day' yesterday he ended up rowing 5k.

Mel, leaving your club is a bit of an end of an era? However, things move on, don't they? And as frequently noted, you are not short of things to do. Getting back into running is bound to feel a bit awkward - you've had a long break, and walking, though brilliant, isn't the same. No pain is a good sign.

Were I not a football fan, I'd be very frustrated by the blanket coverage on the media, and the Germany game has hyped up things even more. Just imagine if we actually win the competition. (Didn't Harold Wilson attribute his General Election win of 1966 to the World Cup victory??) Having said that, I won't miss a minute of it - but I'll try not to let it bring out the Little Englander in me.

It would be a terrible irony were you to injure your back lifting the battery! We've not got a garage so lighting issues are not really something we think about. When I last had a garage I filled it up with exercise stuff - which was the best place for it. I'd love to have one now.

I must be on a bit of a roll right now. Last night a season's best 5k on the rower - by 3 seconds. And if that sounds close, today I beat my Saturday's 5k run by 0.4 of a second. To make it a hat-trick, I did a press-up/pull up routine in a minute quicker than I've ever done it before. I'm clearly heading for an injury, but feel great right now.

I'm thinking of doing a 'proper' race on Sunday, but it might come down to the weather. It's an event where you can turn up on the day and opt for either 5k or 10k. Funnily enough I passed my (faster) local rival who was walking along the prom and called out to ask him whether he was doing the event. 'Yes' he yelled 'the 10k'. It's the 5k for me then! 

• Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, thanks. We actually raised £400.00, so very pleased with that.
    Well done for your lengthy swim and managing to get up this morning for a 3 mile walk, including a 200 metre jog. 

A shame that you felt it necessary to leave your running club; but from what you have said, they weren't particularly friendly, and failed to keep in touch with you to see if you were ok. 
    I've just renewed my membership to Hardley Runners, despite not attending Club training sessions in the evenings. This allows me to partake in the Hampshire Road Race League races, and the off road CC6 and RR10 races. There are also the social runs, such as Sundays, and I'm following the Club's "Isolation Training Sessions" with the Sarah's, Mike and others if they have the day off work. I'm the only retired one, but the others arrange their days to fit in with the sessions etc.

Hope the fitting of new sealed units went without any problems, and that they were able to fix your letter box whilst they were there. I really need a new window in my garage, as it's in a wooden frame, which is rotting. I've contacted several Contractor's, but they all advise that they only fit double glazed windows. Prices quoted have been extortionate so I'm not bothering.

JB, I've taken "Dr's Orders," and had a rest day today😁 I think you need to see "A Head Dr," after your hat-trick of seasons bests. Take it a bit easier now, so that you will do a really fast time in Sundays proper 5k race.

Looking forward now to the match, but not watching the hours preamble, they bore me. We're really spoilt for choice, with Wimbledon and the Tour de France also available.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Afternoon all,

JB - why am I not surprised to hear you did a 5k row on your 'rest' day :) I've not been a member of the club for that long so it won't be that much of a wrench. And tbh, I've never quite felt like I fitted in. There seemed to be various cliques based on age, sex, speed and as a slow, male, late-sixties plodder, I always felt I was a bit of an outsider. I'm hoping I can gradually build up these jogging sessions on my walks and go a bit further/faster bit by bit. And I must carry on doing the strengthening/stretching exercises to avoid any knee issues - have been letting them slip again lately :( Re Harold Wilson, I think I read an article (possibly about him) where a politician claimed a win had helped the election result but the game had actually been several months later. Re the blanket media coverage - god knows what they'll be like as the tournament progresses. As it was Breakfast on the BBC was ruined by tiresome coverage of it rather than mentioning it in the headlines and restricting it to the sports news. I think I was 'on the limit' of what I can lift easily with the battery pack still in the trolley - having removed it, lifting the trolley isn't such an effort! My garage, as well as having the treadmill, also has a sauna in one corner, which doesn't help with space at a premium. Not getting rid of the sauna though! But as mentioned before, the treadmill is currently not useable and depending on whether I am able to start running again, may get the heave-ho. Well done re your recent SB's for rowing, running and press/pull ups.

HS - £400 raised is even better. As mentioned to JB, I've never really felt part of the club .. just someone who jogs along with acquaintances and certainly have never found a group of regular training partners like you. Even on the Thu morning runs I used to do, I sometimes felt I was running alone while those around me were chatting in groups - and the chatting in groups sometimes even happened when we were having coffee afterwards. I remember on one day I just got up and walked out and people seemed a bit puzzled why. So I don't think I'll miss being in the club. The new sealed units were fitted without any problems and he has also put some sealant around the letterbox. It's recommended that be done but he said whoever fitted it in the past didn't bother which he said wasn't right. I suppose you'll eventually have to bite the bullet and get a new window frame - in the meantime, if you remove the rotting timer before re-decorating it, plastic wood will be your friend.

One last thing re the club. It turns out I was too late cancelling my membership and my affiliation fee has already been paid to EA. It will be a real faff to try and get any refund and unlikely to be successful - so the membership secretary and I have agreed I'll still 'officially' be a member until next year, even though I'll be ignoring ay emails they send out and have already removed myself from the club's FB page.

Yesterday didn't go as planned apart from getting the 'blown' windows replaced. I had a call from my son that there were problems with a blocked waste pipe in the kitchen causing issues with using the washing machine, which wasn't emptying properly. I had to drive over there with my toolbox and we spent the day trying unsuccessfully to get below the cupboard under the sink to check how much water had leaked into there. We never did manage that so fingers crossed, it wasn't too much. But with some bendy tubing and wires, we were able to unblock the waste pipe. We also used some caustic soda on the blockage and it appears to be sorted now. My son will keep an eye on it and if it's still causing any issues in a day or two we'll get the 'experts' in to investigate.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, there were some last minute contributions to the breakfast, bringing the total to nearly £500. 

It's a shame that you didn't find any regular training partners, as it does make training more enjoyable. By chatting, or gasping, helps to monitor the pace of the runs. If we can't talk, then we are running too quickly,  unless it's a race, or speed work. 

Good that your sealed units and letter box were fixed without any problems. I've never heard of plastic wood🤔

It's rather unfortunate that your membership fees to EA etc have already been taken. Our Club doesn't automatically take the payments, but the membership secretary sends out a reminder email each year, and chases up anyone that hasn't paid. There are always a few each year that decide not to renew, but numbers remain fairly constant, with new members joining up.

That blocked waste pipe sounded rather dodgy, but lucky that you were able to remove the blockage. The caustic soda must also have helped.

This morning I ran the June 5 mile off road challenge with the Sarah's. In July it's the 10k challenge which could be on or off road. We are not allowed to stop our Garmins, or use auto pause. This means trying to find a course that doesn't entail crossing roads etc.