Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    Nice pics of Hastings...being from near Blackpool I hate all them shitty seafood stalls and rubbish eateries that scatter the prom in Hastings.,Hastings is like a dirty Blackpool.
    I don't much like Blackpool either lol.

• Options
    Does anyone else get this ridiculous message from RW

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do they think that I am new to the forum?

Anyway, on a non-running note if I may, we’ve just had a few days in London to see an exhibition at the BM. Whenever we go to London we always try to take in a play or concert and this time we went to see a performance of The Wipers Times (for those who haven’t heard of it, it’s a play about WW1 troops stationed at Ypres who decided to print their own satirical version of the war news. They found an abandoned printing press in some ruins, along with some paper and went into production. They called their paper the Wipers Times as a lot of people couldn’t pronounce Ypres and called it Wipers instead. Their paper was full of amusing spoof reports and advertisements and was very popular with the troops at the front, although the “top brass” disapproved of it). I expected to find the play entertaining and also moving but I wasn’t prepared for how just how moving it was.
    The following day, having seen a report on the local TV news, we went to look at “Shrouds of the Somme,” an art installation at the QE Olympic Park. (I’ll post some photos separately). The artist had taken four years to individually wrap over 72,000 figures in shrouds, which was the number of allied troops who lost their lives on the Somme whose bodies were never found and so never had a burial. The figures were laid out row after row, and as the figures the artist used were jointed they looked extremely realistic because they each moved into a unique shape as the artist bound them into their shroud. As we walked along the rows a lady volunteer was reading out the names of the soldiers represented by these figures. We got there about an hour after the exhibition opened and the roll call was still just at “Boyle” which really brought home to you how many died at the Somme who didn’t have a grave. Alongside this was a separate display with a figure and cross for each day of the war that troops died, with the number who died that day inscribed on the cross. As I walked along and was confronted with the awful reality of the mass slaughter that had taken place day after day I found myself crying and couldn’t stop. I wasn’t alone, a number of other people were wiping their eyes or quietly sobbing. It was a very sombre and strange experience, total strangers comforting each other and sharing their grief for young men we’d never known. The most noteworthy thing about these two exhibitions is that the artist did all the sewing of the shrouds himself, even though he had damaged hands due to an accident some years earlier and was in constant pain. Very humbling.

Apologies for going on so much about this, I just wanted to share it with you all, so thanks for bearing with me.
  • Options
    Morning all,

DBIW, I don't know why you are still having problems with the forum, can you see this post?

Hello Helegant, I seem to remember that you used to post on RW forums before they ruined everything by so called upgrading them.

There was another spam post beneath the above photos when I looked earlier, but it has gone now! Have RW Towers started to get their act together at last.

I ran a good pace 5.25 mile road run yesterday, in quite awful conditions. The heavy rain kept stopping and starting.  I'm posting a picture  of Sarah and I waving at the photographer in the Oakhaven Forest Half Marathon last Sunday. We ran together the whole way, which enabled her to get a PB.

• Options
    Afternoon all,

I think I'm going crazy, the spam post that had gone has reappeared and Aquarius's post has appeared before mine. I posted before midday, but it sais 2.09.

Firstly, I am going to flag the spam post, 4 flags should delete it.

Aquarius, I get that message "howdy stranger" when I'm logged out. I suppose that until we log in, we are all strangers. 
    Thank you for your very touching and informative narrative about the "Shrouds of the Somme." I was watching "Songs of Praise," and one of the hymns was "Abide with Me." My father, who had a lovely singing voice used to sing that at the top of his voice. I tried singing it and choked up. I imagined him sitting in the armchair singing it. :'(

Hope you all like the photo of Sarah and I. We really enjoyed the race, and agreed that you can't beat off road races.
  • Options
    You're not going crazy HS, this is the second post by that spammer. I never saw the first one because it had gone when I tried to access it (I always get emails telling me when someone's posted on the forum, so I clicked on his first email - not realising he was a spammer - and it took me to the forum which told me the content was unavailable). My usual status on the forum is "signed in" so don't know why I now need to sign in each time.

Incidentally, I haven't been able to post those "Somme" photos, but if you google it there's quite a lot of information and photos available.

Love your photo, you both look like you're really enjoying the event.
  • Options
    Hmm, when I look at my last post I see there are lots of squares with question marks in them at the start of my post - possibly all my failed attempts at posting my photos? If they all end up downloading then apologies for subjecting everyone to multiple photos - I'm really not much cop at this IT palaver I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Well, I suppose the speed with which spammers disappear is some cause for optimism. 

HS: That's a lovely picture of you and Sarah. You both have the energy to raise your hands and wave, which is great. It's lovely that you helped her to a PB.

Aquarius: I read about that art installation and read an interview with the artist on the BBC Magazine a few weeks ago. I haven't seen the installation itself. It must have been something to see it all there. When individual stories and scale go together it's very powerful indeed. I think I felt the same thing looking at the Menin Gate and Thiepval.  
  • Options
    Morning all,

I'm finally dry after an incredibly wet and windy marathon yesterday.  I found it very emotional, espeially when we all stopped for the 2 minute freeze at 11am.  There were lots of marshalls standing around the route bearing large banners (we couldn't hear the canon fire from Dover as the howling wind was coming from the opposite direction and it was just too windy and we couldn't have heard the whistles from the marshalls either). Even the few brave souls out walking their dogs pased with us. Standing high up on the hilltop and looking out over the channel with its roiling sea was very atmospheric and I found myself getting teary.  It was a very long and tough marathon yesterday but I got it done.

Aquarius, I've seen lots of photos of both those installations and I can understand why they moved you. We must never forget that a generation of young lives were lost so we can enjoy the freedoms we have today.

TE, nice photos of you and Sarah.
  • Options
    So many fit-and-healthy men died in that war, it must have affected the gene pool in the long term. Possibly the countries involved are still indirectly feeling the effects.

Aquarius: I try to stay permanently signed in, but often get the same message as you do (Howdy stranger).

HS - good to see that photo of you and Sarah; she must have been pleased that you paced her to a PB.

Waving back to Helegant... We seem to have met somewhere before... ;)

Red - so, no knitting, rather a relief, as it must be a risky undertaking, running and knitting for hours on end. Good luck with the 4:30 attempt. Lovely photos, BTW.

DBI - "still an exercise junkie" - I didn't even start running until my late 50s, but I now describe running as my "drug of choice". Looking back, however, I remember that I always did like going out for long walks, and became aware while I was still in my teens that I didn't tend to sleep well if I'd had a day with no exercise.
    No posts prior to 2017 - is that when the website was revamped?

WtnMel - I'm afraid you're right, Fetch doesn't have "church cleaning" as a recognised x-training option. I could, however, log it as housework. It's good x-training, involves carrying buckets of water hither and thither. moving chairs and tables etc.

Moks - interesting that MHR is different for different activities, with running pushing it up the highest. 

On Friday evening I went over to Aberystwyth in order to do the parkrun on Saturday morning. It's a nice flat parkrun, run on three parallel paths close together, which means that after the first 10 minutes or so there are runners going along all three paths, passing and lapping one another. It came on to rain, and rained hard, and I got raindrops all over my glasses and could hardly see, and in addition the battery in one of my hearing aids died so I could hardly hear either. But I managed to beat 40 minutes so I was pleased. 

• Options
    Morning all, and what a glorious one it is, all sunny and bright after the massive storm we had during the night.

I'm ignoring the spam and have flagged and reported.

Waves to Columba xxx

Just finalised and announced my fund-raising challenge for 2019 - another 100 miler which I really could not miss as it covers the route Harold and his army marched from London to Hastings for that disastrous battle. The route is now known as Harold's Way and it passes within 1/2 mile of our house, some of it being on footpaths I know very well!  It finishes at Battle Abbey.  It will be a tough one as it's a hilly route with lots of stiles but then it needs to be a tough challenge to encourage people I've been badgering for the last 15 years to donate to my charity yet again!

Have a lovely day everyone :smiley:
  • Options
    Also flagged spammer, post now removed.
  • Options
    Hi all , to the old and new X

Redhead, 100 miles way to far for me, best of luck with that .

Columba, Good time at Aber , where is your local PR . I am trying to get my club to start a PR here ( Brittany ) but even tho 5of them ran one whilst in Wales, it seems to be falling on deaf ears.

Weather has changed for the better after last week it just rained and rained.

Track night tonight 15x 200m should get the legs turning over.

• Options
    Red that sounds a great challenge you’ve set yourself, and particularly nice that part of the route is on your home turf. When does it take place? Well done on Sunday’s marathon, it sounds like it was a difficult one in more ways than one.

Well done Columba for battling on against the odds in your parkrun. I can’t get away with wearing glasses when I run so just squint instead, but Mr A wears his and suffers in the rain, someone should invent glasses with automatic wipers for rainy runs! I agree about not sleeping well without exercise of some description.

Moks hope you enjoy your club session tonight, it sounds like a punishing one. It’s strange that while parkrun has really taken off in the UK it never seems to be as popular in other countries.

I was supposed to be going over to my club last week for training but at the last moment something cropped up and I didn't get there. I’ll try again tonight as this month’s club Grand Prix event is taking place. Unfortunately I think it will be a bit of a struggle as I’ve hardly run since the last one due to my virus, and I really wanted to finish ahead of the guy who pipped me at the post last month. Still I’ll try my best and see what happens.

“Waves” to everyone else.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Glad you liked the photo of Sarah and me. I very seldom buy race photos as they are so expensive since they became digital. I've got loads from the days when they were "proper photos" which they sent in the post. I decided to purchase this one, as it was good, and showed how much we were enjoying the race. I think it was taken at around 10 miles.

Red, sounds like a very tough and emotional marathon that you ran on Sunday. Well done! That 100 mile race will be a real challenge. Climbing over numerous styles is enough to put me off. I've never run an ultra and never will now. I won't do any more road marathons either, but if my knee holds up, am tempted to run the South Downs Marathon again in June.

Moks, good luck with your track session this evening!

Aquarius, hope you have a good club session this evening and that you have finally shaken off your virus.

I was supposed to be running the Solent Half Marathon route again yesterday with the other Sarah, but she is suffering with an aching back. She had a sports massage in the evening which has helped.  I decided, as I would be running solo, to do the half marathon distance in the forest instead. Conditions were quite horrible, as there had been torrential rain on and of for the previous couple of days. Also very strong cold winds which threatened to blow me backwards. 
    Did another tough spin session this morning which was really tough after Mondays 13.1 mile run. Most of us are regulars, so the sessions get more intense week on week. Sweat was rolling down my face and onto the floor, so I knew that I had given 100%.
    I've got a blood test tomorrow morning and an another appointment on the 21st, which constitute my annual NHS Health check. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all (salutes in a D of DG fashion)

Red - fab photo of the sea. I think I've found some purple laces to go with those new yellow/green running shoes. Well done completing the marathon on Sunday. Good luck (in advance) for 2019's challenge (though I'm sure you'll keep us up-to-date with training progress as the date approaches).

Exhausted - you probably did sing along tunelessly to your ipod :) Don't fall victim to insurance inertia - see below for how much I saved this morning!

HS - I see you've had your flu jab .. I've still not organised mine. Our club doesn't have 'club caps' but they do have 'Almost Athletes' buffs. You are correct about a previous club name discussion .. we agreed it would be amusing to be pictured together .. 'Hardley' a runner alongside 'Almost' an athlete :) I still don't feel the need to have my ipod with me when running - the only exception would be during inclement weather when I'm doing a long(ish) run on my treadmill. Great photo of you and Sarah (always nice to be able to put a face to a name).

Helegant - *waves* back. I recognise you from Fetch :)

Aquarius - I always get the 'Howdy Stranger' message as I login/logout every time I visit the website. Depending on your cookie settings the website may not recognise you. A moving post from you about your visit to the BM .. on a lighter note, I remember a tv programme a few years ago about the Wiper's Times (think Michael Palin was in it?).

Columba - church cleaning involving carrying buckets of water and moving furniture .. so weight-training too ;) I must admit, even though my hearing aids are allegedly waterproof, I take them out when running, especially in the rain.

Mok - hope the track session went okay.

BTW, I flagged the post from selenarichard as 'spam' as it included a link to a website selling treadmills and I think that's what it's really about. Maybe I shouldn't be so cynical about people's motives and happy to be proved wrong ..

This morning I sorted my home insurance. My current insurers Halifax were quoting £533 to renew - the best quote I found for the same cover was with Churchill for £150. I phoned Halifax - they dropped their price to £230 (purely for phoning up!! - no haggling involved). I told them I didn't like their business model of ripping off 'loyal' customers who don't bother calling to discuss the renewal. I've cancelled my Halifax policy and have signed up with Churchill. Moral of the story - don't leave the policy to auto-renew - I'm £380 better off as a result! :)

Got back from a 5ml run a short while ago. A bit slower than last time but I think that's mainly down to the time of day and having to wait longer for traffic at various road crossings (the auto-pause doesn't kick in immediately). I'll be out running again at Thu morning's club run.

• Options
    Morning all,

WtnMel, I've also flagged the selenarichard post as span, so that's two "spams." I'm sure that you are correct that he is interested only in selling treadmills.
    Well done saving all that money whilst renewing your home insurance. I'll definitely be surfing the comparison sites when my car and home insurance are due.
    I haven't set my Garmin to autopause, as I've found from earlier models that they can be a bit of a pain. Hope you enjoy Thursday's morning club run.

Had my blood test this morning, and my next appointment is next Wednesday.
    I've ordered a new wardrobe this morning, as the hanging rail on the present one has come out of its socket at one end and won't go back in. I think the side must have shifted slightly as the rail doesn't quite fit in the socket. At the moment, the wooden rail is slanting downwards, and it is only a matter of time before it snaps. It will be ready for delivery between 2 and 4 weeks, so will be delivered before Christmas. They've confirmed that they will take the old one away. 
    I'm looking forward to Prime Ministers Question Time at 12.00, should be fireworks!!
  • Options
    Morning everyone, I’ve just hung the washing out - which means it’s bound to start raining soon.  :)

I always check comparison sites for car and home insurance, also gas and electric suppliers. It certainly pays to shop around. I don’t use auto pause on Garmin either, I found the crossing lights often changed before the auto pause kicked in so it was more bother than it was worth.

I went for my flu jab this morning and was told they’d run out of stocks and would I wait a week or so then ring up again? The nurse went on to say that as I also needed the pneumococcal vaccine as protection against pneumococcal pneumonia, septicaemia, and meningitis I might as well have that one today and come back when they had the flu one in stock again. I agreed so off she went to find the pneumoccocal vaccine but returned to tell me that was out of stock too! However, having rooted around everywhere she’d found a flu vaccine at the back of one of their fridges so gave me that - I hope it wasn’t some dodgy old one left over from last year!

My Grand Prix run last night was pretty disappointing because as soon as I started running I discovered that I had no energy, so it was a rather slow run with laboured breathing that made my throat feel raw and brought my cough back. It was my worst time ever for these runs. I now have to decide whether to do the XC on Saturday, after last night’s showing I know it’ll be a struggle and I’ll probably end up walking some of it and be disappointed at my efforts, but there again I’ve missed all the previous XC’s this season due to one thing or another and I’d really like to do this one. 

Oh-oh, rain clouds coming over, better get that washing in.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS - Margaret has come up with a 'cunning plan' (a la Baldrick) which involves swapping over the back bedroom with the front (spare) bedroom which is the slightly larger of the two. I need to measure up and do one of my famous scale drawings of room/furniture to find the best arrangement. It will also answer the question of whether we'll be able to fit an additional wardrobe in the front bedroom. The current bedroom furniture is from Ikea from around eight years ago - I've not checked but I'm hoping they'll still sell the model/colour we bought in the past so it will match.

Aquarius - I presume it did rain then? Hope for your sake your flu jab was "this year's model" :) If you were feeling washed out at last night's run I'd be inclined to give Saturday's XC a miss. Anyway, let us know after the weekend what you decided and how you got on.

Re the above comments, I think I may try turning off auto-pause and see how I get on. I know (from other Thu morning runners) that you can manually pause the timer - but some of them complained they forgot to restart it. So I'll need to check how to stop/start myself but may end up just leaving it be ..
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Back again,

I turned auto-pause off on my Garmin for this morning's club run. Strava noted there were non-running portions and came up with an elapsed time of 57:50 but a 'moving' time of 52:00 whereas Fetch just recorded my overall time the same as the Strava elapsed time. An interesting experiment but I think I'll put auto-pause back on as Strava makes me look a better runner than I actually am.

Edited: to say after saving money on my home insurance a few days ago, I've had a letter from 'Ernie' to let me know I've won £50 on the Premium Bonds ..

Margaret's out this afternoon but as she has her car in for a service and they'll need to be paid, she's left me in charge of her credit card .. mwah-hah-harrrr (diabolical laughter ensues ..) 

>:)
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Popped back again but no-one else has been here (sniff, sniff ..) :'(
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Connect 4!!!! B):D
  • Options
    WtnMel - Connect 4?
  • Options
    Evening all, just about,

Aquarius, A bit of a lucky dip regarding your flu jab experience. I had the pneumonia jab several years ago the same time as my flu jab. The nurse said that it would last "for ever!"
    Sorry to hear that your Grand Prix run seems to have aggravated your cold. Don't run tomorrow if you are still feeling rough. It could make matters worse.

WtnMel, good luck with Margaret's cunning plan.
    My Garmin shows elapsed and moving time, but Strava just shows moving time, so I'm happy with that.
    Congratulation on you Premium Bonds win!
    Just imagining you running wild with Margaret's Credit Card!
    I remember Connect 4.  It's a game where you drop coloured counters down the 4 columns. My children had it when they were small. That was a very long time ago. I presume the reference referred to you swapping everything around.

Had a good evening run wearing head torches with Alice last night on roads and round the Marina. We were nearly 3 minutes quicker than when we did the same route a couple of weeks ago. Today is a rest day.
    Forgot to say, the electricity supply was cut off for several hours yesterday, as there was a faulty electric cable under the road which had to be repaired. My cooker is electric, so I decided to drive into the village and have a bite to eat in the new "Tea Rooms" It used to be an Estate Agents. It's really nice, with nice "old fashioned" crockery. They have a large range of home make cakes, and choices of tea and coffee. I sussed the place out after I'd had my flu jab the other day and had an Americana Coffee and slice of walnut cake. Yesterday I had a pot of tea, which made 3 cups and a jacket potato with chicken, sweetcorn and a nice salad. It only opened recently and is already very popular. I arrived before midday, and it was already busy. I manged to grab the only vacant table, which was for two, so ideal for just me. The staff are very friendly and service first class. I'll definitely be paying it another visit next time "I'm in town."
  • Options
    You know what they say HS about every cloud having a silver lining - your electricity problem sounds like it resulted in rather a nice meal in pleasant “old fashioned” surroundings. I much prefer that style of tea room to the modern coffee shops.

Well done on your premium bond win WtnMel, and in securing a good deal for your home insurance. We’ve just renewed ours, but strangely enough after shopping around on various comparison sites our current insurer had the best deal, and only £20 more than last year. I hope you behaved yourself with Margaret’s credit card ;)

No XC for me yet again today as my cold is back! Grrr! It’s very frustrating as Mr A has also gone down with it now, we think we’ve probably got it from our son and/or grandson as they both have it, and they seem to have got it from nursery. Another possible source however is our train journey back from London a few days ago. A young girl sitting on the other side of the table to me had a very heavy cold, sniffing and coughing all the way from London to Newcastle. When she wasn’t coughing (or taking her antibiotics and paracetamol) she lay with her head on the table fast asleep, taking up the whole space and wheezing away poor soul like a pair of bellows until her cough woke her up again. Having just recovered from a chest infection myself I did feel very sorry for her, but also wished she’d been sitting somewhere else! With hindsight I suppose we should have tried to find some other seats ourselves really. I think this could be why I found Tuesday’s GP so difficult, (I also tried to do a fartlek session on Thursday but struggled to go as fast as I had intended on the speedy bits) so all in all it looks like I’m back on the sick list until further notice. I’ve got until next Saturday to recover as I signed up a few weeks ago for a leg of a relay race and don’t want to have to pull out at the last minute as it will leave an incomplete team. 

Quick Hi to everyone else, hope if you’re running this weekend you are all super speedy (and germ free)!
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS - congrats on beating your previous time on the roads/marina run. The 'tea rooms' (and your meal there) sounds nice and lucky you nabbing the last available table.

Aquarius - Connect 4 was a reference to me getting four (posts) in a row (similar to getting four counters in a row like in the game). Yes, I only used Margaret's credit card to pay for her car .. didn't run riot with it! :) Sorry to hear your cold lurgy has returned.

I did some x-training this morning in the shape of sweeping up the leaves .. filled four dustbin-sized plastic bags with them. We'll be taking a look in a few days time to see how last year's leaves look - they've been stored beside the shed since this time last year and hopefully they'll have rotted down nicely ready for spreading on the borders.

Should be able to get out for a run tomorrow morning ..
  • Options
    Against my better judgement, still suffering from the ravages of bronchitis, I agreed to accompany my wonderful partner round the Cliffs Castle Parkrun at Keighley this morning. "I'll just jog round behind to keep you company" said I.  Well, the Longwood Harriers raiding party struck again.  We came away feeling rather smug, both of us having set new age group records on the hilly course. Might have a celebratory dram tonight!
  • Options
    Evening peeps, sorry for absence, life took over for a while and been busy, busy, busy with lots of running and planning and talking to people about dementia.  Will read back to see what you've all been up to tomorrow when my head is clearer but hope you're all well xxx
  • Options
    Damien NagleDamien Nagle ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I am doing the best 5k in Preston on the 25th but I am in 2 minds wether to do a park run the day before.
  • Options
    Morning all, quick pop in as I'm on emergency dot watching - the lovely legend that is Ellen Cottom is running the Sussex Border Path (142 miles) starting yesterday and finishing today.  She set off from Chichester with a running chum yesterday at 5am and they were doing really well until the night section which was very, very cold even wearing lots of layers and foil blankets and her running buddy started to feel ill so dropped out at 90 miles!

Now Ellen is a determined lady but is having a morale crisis so as she's only about 30 miles away from me atm I'm waiting until she gets to within 10 miles of our village then I'm going to head off to meet her and run through our village to the next village which will leave her with about 8 miles to complete on her own and I know she'll be OK as her wife will be waiting for her in Rye.

Apologies for poor typing and punctuation etc!

Damian, do it as a leg-stretcher but don't push.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny but much colder.

Aquarius, yes it was a blessing in disguise the electricity supply being turned off. I really do prefer the old fashioned type of tea shops, with nice patterned crockery etc. We had a Costa Coffee shop open in the village a couple of years or so ago, which did cause one of the long established cafe's to close down. Thankfully, the more traditional establishments are making a comeback. As expected, the Costa is frequented more by the younger generations, and not old fogies like me.
    Sorry to hear that your cold lurgy has returned. That was most unfortunate having to sit opposite a young lady coughing and sneezing throughout your journey. It's many years since I last had a train journey, but do occasionally use my OAP bus pass to go into Southampton. Invariably there is at least one person coughing or sneezing.

WtnMel, there seem to be more leaves on the ground this year than in previous years. My road and the one leading to the nearby supermarket are lined with trees, as the estate was formerly "the forest," so many of the forest trees remain. A couple of days ago, a man from the New Forest Forestry Commission was blowing the leaves off the pavements and onto the roads. Not very effective, as soon as a wind blew up, they blew back on to the pavements again.
    Hope you managed to get out for a run this morning.

Runningfox, congratulations to you and your wonderful partner for both setting age records at the parkrun! A bit risky running with the aftermath of bronchitis, but once entering a race/parkrun, I'm afraid our competitive instincts cut in. Hope you enjoyed the wee dram last night, you earned it!

Morning Red, glad to hear that you are keeping busy. I really don't know how you manage to fit in so many hours of running/racing.

Damien, I wouldn't recommend doing a parkrun before the Preston 5k, but having said that; when I was in my forties, I frequently raced cross country on Saturdays followed by a Sunday road race. I often wonder, looking back, whether my road race times would have been any quicker if I hadn't raced the day before.

I ran 8.1 miles in the forest yesterday morning and it was quite a struggle. It was cold, with a bitingly cold strong headwind. I was wearing shorts so my legs were feeling the cold. I always try to run in shorts throughout the winter, just wearing tracksters on the way to races and after. I have to admit though that I do feel the cold more as I am getting older.