Options

The no drafting rule in the cycling

Hello

So my first event is tomorrow and I'm vaguely prepared, including having read the rules they sent. So no drafting - they said one bike length to be left between bikes. While I am not intending to cheat I'm a bit worried I'll get closer than that due to adrenaline, not concentrating, forgetting, all the rest of it. How are these things measured/refereed? It's an accredited event. Do people find this bit difficult?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Don't worry to much, unless its your habit to sit just behind someone for mile after mile, your'e not really drafting.

Just do your own thing, pass others when able, or be passed, but don't sit in a group.
  • Options

most triathlon  races have a 12 metre gap now between bikes so i dont think your race is that bothered by drafting so i wouldnt worry..

they usually have motorbike people riding the course watching out for people sitting on someone elses wheel

• Options

to buck a trend somewhat ...  you need to concentrate on the bike, you need to be aware of people around you and you need to remember the rules.  Its for safety, safety for you and safety for those around you.

Enjoy it,  but be safe.

• Options

I'm a cyclist, so confident about safety and cycling in groups etc, just paranoid about breaking a rule!

• Options
    You definitely know when you're less than a bike length behind. You're having a much easier ride. It's something you can't really deny but if you don't do it you won't get dq'd for drafting.
  • Options

Don't forget there's also rules that positively allow overtaking.

Here's the whole thing:

Entry into the bicycle drafting zone: a competitor may enter a bicycle draft zone in the following circumstances: 

If the competitor enters the draft zone, and progresses through it within 20 seconds in the overtaking manoeuvre;

For safety reasons; 

Before and after an aid station or the transition area and dismount line; 

At an acute turn; 

If the Event Organiser excludes a section of the course for safety reasons.

(vi) Overtaking 

A competitor is passed when another competitor’s front wheel is ahead of theirs; 

Once overtaken, a competitor must move out of the draft zone of the leading competitor within 5 seconds; 

Competitors must keep to the side of the course and not create a blocking incident. Blocking is where a competitor who is behind cannot pass due to the leading competitor being poorly placed on the course;

Traffic regulations must be followed when competing on open roads; competitors must only pass another competitor on the right.

IN reality. In a low key event, there is often a BTF official in attendance. The rules are applied, but they are practically adopted.
    You may hear a voluntary marshal verbally warn you for drafting at a corner, but it won't mean anything. If you are both wearing the same team kit it's suspicious. 

What you DO want to be aware of:
    -Transition 1. Strip your swim kit before you put on your bike kit, ONLY THEN are you allowed to touch your bike. No Hat, no Bike.
    - Don't swear at the Adolf in transition. That's a sure DQ unless you apologise profusely and quickly.

Need a pee?
    Rules:
    1- Don't get caught stopping to use a field.
    2- Use the provided facilities.
    3- Bizarrely it's permitted to "have an incident" whilst riding.

Mount and dismount.
    I always found this bit confusing. However, it's quite simple really. Bikes are faster than running. There is a line on the floor. You can run in the bike zone, but you can't bike in the run zone.

One more rule of  note.
    NO HEADPHONES.
    DQ DQ DQ DQ DQ DQ DQ DQ

• Options

if you are a cyclist then you have to concentrate more as you will go into normal mode of hugging the wheel by an inch or so.....so make sure you leave a lot more than needed to be safe

• Options

"IN reality. In a low key event, there is often a BTF official in attendance. The rules are applied, but they are practically adopted. 
    You may hear a voluntary marshal verbally warn you for drafting at a corner, but it won't mean anything. If you are both wearing the same team kit it's suspicious. "

in ANY event which has a BTF event permit there will be a BTF race official - many of them if it's a big champ event.  we hate drafting and will penalise offenders - usually aided by moto-officials. 

however, just to clarify matters - the drafting zone is 10m in sprint and standard distance events and you have 20secs to make the pass; 12m in middle and long distance and 25 secs for the pass.  

drafting is however OK at acute turns, within feed station zones, at the dismount line or for safety reasons (e.g. crash causing a bottleneck) and where the event has neutralised an area on safety grounds.   

• Options
    Swim really, really fast be first out of the water, get changed like a bolt of lightning and be first onto the bike, ride as fast as you've ever ridden before so no one over takes you and then you don't have to worry about drafting.

Unless it's a two lap bike route the you will hit back markers........