Options

Could I do an ironman within a year?

I've been a distance runner for seven years and am looking to move up to complete an iron man. Here are the things I have on my side:

- I am young and generally fit (19 years old, no health or weight issues, stay active)

- Seven years of running experience with marathons and halfs (first half when I was twelve)

- completed all swim training when I was young and started to train to be a lifeguard

- Dad who has 20+ years experience with swimming and biking who can help train

- Lots of time to train every week

- Just finished a marathon last weekend

Here are the things running against me:

- Have never swam competitively

- Have never biked competitively

So, my question is, would I realistically be able to complete an iron man in a year's time?

Comments

• Options

Dylan, there are plenty on here who have completed an Ironman within a year who couldn't swim and had never ridden a road bike before, nevermind run a marathon...

In short, from what you have said your experience is(even though you are only 19) more than adequate plus the time you have to train and the fact you have your Dad to help you train, I don't see any reason why you couldn't. Do some reading up on training plans, pick a race and get out there trainingimage

Good luck

• Options

short answer YES

but 2 things worry me, you say you have never swam or biked competitively, do you want to complete or compete?

Most people on here just want to complete but that said we have several age group winners at major Ironmans and a whole bunch of Kona entrants

What sort of times are you doing for half and full marathons?

• Options

Obviously the answer is yes, you could, but why the rush to go long?  You could spend a few years getting competitive at shorter races, maybe aim at GB age group.  With a good swim/run base and a good coach there's nothing to suggest that's an unreasonable target.  Then move up to IM later.

But if you want to tick the box, then an IM in a year wouldn't be a problem.  IM Wales entries are open.

• Options

I've heard a number of experienced coaches say that people as young as you shouldn't be doing that sort of distance then again I am surprised that there are places that let kids run marathons at 12. Long distance events are incredibly catabolic, as you get older this isn't such a concern but at a young age when you are still developing it could well stop you reaching your potential.

• Options
    Its the cost more than anything.

Bike - 500 minimum probs

Wetsuit

Entry

I think you're looking at a grand at least to do your first, But yes you could certainly do an Ironman - but you're young. It MIGHT be wiser to work your way up through the distances.

But what do I know. My first tri was Ironman.
  • Options

I think a grand is comfortably on the light side.... it'll cost you the best part of £100 in gels for the race and training alone..... add in bike computer, tri suit, goggles, bike shoes, pedals, gloves, winter gloves, 3 pairs of running shoes, travel, accommodation, entry fees for the race plus test/practice events, etc etc etc.... I'd reckon on nearer 2 grand... and if you get serious, that's also the cost of just an entry level TT bike.... Don't want to put you off, but you do need to have your eyes wide open.

FWIW, my first tri was a half, and my second a full too, so like Cougie, I'm no case study on being sensible! image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

How do you know you even like doing triathlons? Might be worth setting foot into that world first. 

• Options

I think the important question has already been asked - Compete? or Complete?

If compete, then I'm not in a position to advise, although others have already given you some things to consider.

If complete, have a look through some of the threads on here, and go for it! Plenty of pirates have gone from 0 to IM in 9 months. I'd also suggest that endurance events at a young age isn't a worry (again as long as you're not trying to win your age group etc and not doing anything ridiculous). I did JOGLE at age15 on a MTB and it didn't seem to do me much harm - not that that's anything to go by.

Good luck either way!

• Options

Ignoring the moral question of should you or shouldn't you. That wasn't asked.

Ignoring the question of complete or compete.

Can I do it? Answer yes.

What are the challenges? Again, a question not asked. But judging from an 18 year old in our tri club, he's a monster on the bike, but only up to a certain distance when he bombs spectacularly. Endurance is something that is built up over many years.
    The question is whether you are wanting to train your body into middle distance speed, or lose the fast twitch and go for long range. Life choices!

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Yes, i am sure you can.  I hadnt run a marathon when i did my first IM, although i had been doing triathlons for about 7 years so i had built up endurance. I would maybe try an olympic or half first. You are very young, there's no rush.

• Options

Similarly to you I have completed a Marathon this year and you find yourself looking for a greater challenge. I am not a cyclist or swimmer and I plan to change that over the winter. I have set my sights on Weymouth Ironman 70.3 as a target as apposed to a full ironman. This is in a year's time. I will enter some sprints and olympics in the mean time. I think its important to enjoy the training journey rather than heaping too much pressure on. This is unusual for me but by the time I come to do the Ironman (hopefully abroad) I will be mentally and psychically ready. Best of luck!