Options

Ironman help!

Hi All, 

New to the forum and having a brief look (Sorry) I haven't managed to find a clear answer to some questions I have over an Ironman. 

I am looking firstly to enter my first Ironman. From peoples experience is it wise to just pick one and go for it? (I can run and cycle fairly well already) 

Also does anybody know anything about getting qualification into one of the big ironman events? e.g Hawaii? 

Is it a case of just doing 1 qualifying event e.g Wales and then being able to enter the year after? 

Sorry I've probably asked some silly questions but I'd rather be clear on my long term plan before I fully immerse myself in this world of madness.

Thanks 

Steve 

Comments

• Options

yes, pick an event and enter.... they're all great...even better, enter the one the pirates are doing (Hamburg in 2017)

Qualifying for Kona (Hawaii)... now there's a thing. You'll need to be quick. Very quick. most age categories have only 1 or 2 places, occasionally 3 that qualify at each event. You didn't mention your age group, but for example, if you are 30 to 34, you'll probably need to go around 9hrs-ish to qualify (varies a bit by how hard the race is), which means a marathon not much over 3 hrs, a sub 1hr swim, and a bike at an average of 23 or 24mph.... people spend years building up to that standard. If you are quick already, great... but the vast majority have a LOT of work to do to get there!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

As Magna says - Hawaii is via qualification only. There are numerous Ironman races round the world (30 odd at the last count) where the top 1/2/3 from each age group qualify for Hawaii.

All other IM branded races are open events, but some do sell out in hours (Austria / Germany)

If you have the talent / time and bank account, then go for it. 

Give us some more background to your experience.. for sub 9 hours you will need a standalone marathon time of 2:35-2:40, and be able to do a 100 mile TT under 4 hours.

• Options

The alterternative of course is the long route that I know a few Pirates have done / are planning.

Ironman legacy - complete 12 (I think?) Ironman events and you can be entered into a lottery for one of 100 slots at Hawaii each year. There are some other T&Cs though.

It's about the only way I'll ever get to go I think! image

• Options
    Or become a celebrity like Gordon Ramsay.

There are plenty of other Iron Distance races around - just as hard - some just as good as Ironman. Usually cheaper... They obv won't count as part of the Ironman Legacy plan though.

How good are you at running/biking ? Qualifying for Kona is hard.
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies very useful and answered my ibital thoughts on the subject.

Magna carter, what is the pirates and I'd be very interested in making this my first event could you possibly help me out in explaining what this is?

Thanks

Steve
  • Options

the pirates are the tri community from this forum!

www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday