Options

BUPA Great South Run

I loved this race last year & coming back with friends for 2004!!! Can't wait & Up Pompey!!!

Comments

• Options
    This race looks pretty good, will be a good warm-up for the New York Marathon.
    Mile, sadly it'll probably be the only time I go to Portsmouth next season (unless we get you in the cup again).
  • Options
    I love this race too. Run it twice so far (2002 & 2003) but had a hard time last year. Trains were delayed hence arrived after the race had started for 13minutes. I was the last one to leave but finished in a respectable time of 1h 40min (Official).
    Might attempt it again.
    Good luck to you all.
  • Options
    Did you know you can register? Just means that they'll email you when entries open that's all.

<a href "http://www.onrunning.com/events/event.asp?id=3">Register here
  • Options
    Anyone know when they're gonna open this for entries and not just registrations ???
  • Options
    Is this a good race for the inexperienced racer? me and Mrs CD have pre -registered but will only have done a few 10k races prior and this will be our first 10 miler.
  • Options
    CD - I would think it would be ideal. That's what I'm hoping. I've been running since November with a 10k in 4 weeks, Bristol HM in Sept and this would round off the summer just nicely - nice route as well.

Oh when are they going to open entries???
  • Options
    I completely agree - I've ran it for the last 4 years and it really is a good race - a nice flat course which is very well organised.

In previous years entries have closed before the deadline so it's good to get in early. Unfortunately I'm not sure when this will be, but you could check the "Great Run" website?
  • Options
    RD - Cheers, no idea when entries are open.
  • Options
    Website says entries will open mid April. I don't trust the pre-register option as I tried this for GNR and didn't receive and email, so missed the entry. I've done this race 3 times now (the first time was my first race) and will do it again this year. It's getting bigger but the organization is keeping up. Last year they introduced zones for your predicted times that corresponded to the colour of your race number. This seemed to work a lot better and there was less traffic to get through. I'm sure it helped me get a PB of 73:11. Good race though, great atmosphere. I like to stay down there the night before, but it's best to book early to avoid a.disappointment, and b. being ripped off. Ended up staying at the Queens Hotel last year. Was charged £95 for a room that hadn't seen a lick of paint in 20 years.
  • Options
    Andy - Top Tip! I'm gonna check the site quite often. Although it is 12000 entries, they're gonna go quickly. My niece and partner live in Southampton, so that's me sorted for somewhere to stay. Although I only live near Bath, I could travel down on the day - I think I would prefer to soak up some of the atmosphere (and pasta!)

• Options
    They went pretty fast last year so it's worth paying the extra £1 (bloomin' cheek!) to enter online via onrunning.com. Good luck and enjoy.
  • Options
    This was my second ever race last year and I loved it. I had only been running for 6 months and had only done one 10k but I was fine. It is a great atmosphere and a nice flat course - highly recommended! Will definitely do it again.
  • Options
    For a beginner with little race experience this race is ideal.
    I did it as my first ever race in 2002 (and I still believe that is the reason why Sonia O Sullivan broke the record that year!) and the course is great. The first 6 miles are around the Gunwharf side of Pompey, so you get to see all the old boats like HMS Victory, and so is interesting to go by fairly quickly.... The last 4 miles are the harder, but only because there is very little to see. The final 2 miles is stretched along the seafront, which is kind've a nice way to finish, provided your not running into the wind.

All in all the course is as flat as a pancake, and the support along the way is good, with excellent organisation, and a big crowd of runners, stretched right across all ability levels.....which makes it ideal for someone who hasn't raced very much, or is new to running. So go on, give it a go!

(I'm off now to go and post this message to the GSR marketing department, to see if they can offer me a job....bye!)
  • Options
    hmmm...thinking of this one. The only problem is it's a week after the Cardiff Marathon, which I'm running. Will I be up to it? Very tempted tho...
  • Options
    Surely you would breeze this sprint of a 10 mile run after a marathon thru cardiff.

(incidentally, I had a 14 hour marathon in Cardiff last weekend, but i didnt do an awful lot of running....)
  • Options
    sprint 10 miles...a week after a marathon?? I don't know about that. I haven't done a 10 mile race before tho so it would be a PB ;)
  • Options
    Go on Trin! I give you a helping hand round !!! Well done on Taunton, btw.
  • Options
    I ran it for the first time last year - great course and atmosphere and organisation, but it took ages to get out of Portsmouth by road (back to London) - any tips for this year? ta!
  • Options
    ok...I've decided, I've backed out of Abingdon marathon and I'm doing this race.

Abingdon marathon 2 weeks after Cardiff marathon was a bit silly anyway...

Now, Majorca marathon, on the other hand, is 2 months after Cardiff....much more sensible ;)
  • Options
    Jacca,

Why not get the train into Portsmouth?

I've watched the GSR for the past two years, I'm not good enough to actually run that distance.

The best station to go to is Portsmouth Harbour, then it takes no time at all to walk to Southsea Common and it's easy enough to find for people who don't know Portsmouth - just follow the Bupa race signs!
  • Options
    Thanks, I will do that this year. It's a great race, so why don't you have a go,too??
  • Options
    I'm not that good. I am going to try to train, I'll just have to see how I do.

I might even just walk the event for the Walk The Walk charity. Either way, if I don't take part, I will go down and watch.
  • Options
    Trin - couldn't resist eh? I'll see you there. We can do the Abo'thon next year. Next - just got to get in - I wish they would hurry up and open up for entries.

enruobmal - postive mental attitude required. You ARE that good - you ARE going to train, and you ARE going to complete it.
  • Options
    You're right RD...couldn't resist :)
    And of course you will complete it RD....no question about it!!
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Trin,

I'll be doing this too, will be great to meet you! Going to scoot over to the website just to check entries aren't open!!

TS
  • Options
    Hi
    I will be doing this one again, faster i hope. It is my fastest 10 mile and i think it is down to they way the wind often pushes you along the sea front towards the finish.
  • Options
    Hmmmm..... what's happened to the GreatRun site ? It's been down for a couple of days.
    Any one know what's going on with entries?
  • Options
    Well noticed rodger...

either they have a severe case of gremlins in the sysytem...or they've cancelled all of the great runs this year because it was too much hassle.... what with all that sorting out numbers, and organising stuff.... can't say i blame them...

(if you've pre registered you should get an email confirming entries are open...)
  • Options
    The "not-quite as great as last year" South Run !

Course the server needs to work to send out the confirmation emails!! Oh well, we'll get in I expect.