Options

Oxfam Trailwalker

I'm in a team that's been entered into the Oxfam Trailwalker this summer. Simply, it's 100 km over the South Downs in 30 hours.

Is there anyone out there that has already done it. I've never done anything like this and would appreciate any advice from training through to gear.

I have a reasonably high level of fitness and am used to long off road runs (a la Grizzly etc) and hill walking on consecutive days (4 day expeditions in the Lakes/Scottish Highlands etc).

Cheers

Rob

Comments

• Options
    Hi Rob - I'm doing Trailwalker this year, with two fine peeps who have done it before. Sounds like you're in good shape, but are you planning any team walks?? And are you planning to run/walk it, or just walk? (What am I saying, 'just' walk.) I'm building up by doing some LDWA walks...whereabouts in the UK are you? Happy to advise on gear. Just pray the weather isn't like last year! (Gales, lots of rain.)
  • Options
    Thanks for the input UM. We'll probably be doing a bit of run/walk but mainly walk! Our team are pretty scattered but we are planning to get together for some long walks. I'm in Cambridge so not many hills here! But the others live in Bath and Leeds so good excuses to make trips to the Mendips and Dales!

I think that most of the kit should be okay as I'm pretty much fully kitted out for hill walking/orienteering/fell running so I should be able to cobble stuff together! One thing I'm wondering though is footwear. I have 4 season hill walking boots (pretty heavy duty), Walshes (pretty light) and standard road running shoes. I guess it's a personal choice but I did notice a lot of people in the leaflets wearing trainers. I suppose the fact that we're planning to walk/run rules out the boots...
  • Options
    Yes, Rob, I noticed that too! My team will be walking, and I'll be wearing my Brasher Supalite GTX which are very very light even though leather walking boots. The boots will give more ankle support, whereas trainers give more shock absorbtion...personal choice, I guess.
    You may already know about it, but it might be worth checking out the Long Distance Walkers site here. LDWA challenge events are fab: great for training and you get a nice certificate and food! I'm hoping to do the Ridgeway 40 and the Malvern marathon at the very least before July.
  • Options
    i did it last year
    i didnt finish, my team pulled out at 40 miles
    i did the whole 40 in brasher boots, and running gear
    it rained for 10 hours
    My best tip, is to make sure that the members in your team have the same goals as you
    It sounds silly, but you HAVE to do it as a team
    some of you may be faster than others, and its a good idea to practise together,and decide in advance how you will pace yourselves on the day
    also limit your rest stops
  • Options
    oh god yes
    eat
    i forgot to tell you that
    i used nuts, vv good
    can then eat without stopping
  • Options
    hi benz, mk and everyone else.

When is the Trailwalker? do you have to do it as a team or can you do it by yourself?

I didn't know there were any long-distance walking events. In fact, I didn't know walking was an event!

So is it 100km in 30 hours in one go, or over two days with an o/n stop or what?
  • Options
    you are meant to finish in 30 hours
    and no, you cant do it on your own
    its 17th july i think this year
  • Options
    hmm, should be doable. Having said that, I'm intending to take 4 days to walk just 130km next weekend! What size team do you need? Or is there a website for it?
  • Options
    teams of 4
    and yes there is a website
    but you need to hurry
  • Options
    Snail - a whole new world awaits you...
  • Options
    if you wanna mail me, you can have the full and enexpurgated version

THE TROOF!
  • Options
    Hi, I completed the Trailwalker in 2002 (wining fasted mixed team).

We were very lucky with the weather it was fantastic. We ran the flats and down hills and walked up the hills. Most people tend to set off far too fast leaving you with nothing left at the end. set your own agenda and stay with it.

its a very well organised event and the food at the halfway mark is very welcome.

the most important thing is to enjoy!

good luck.
    Mimi
  • Options
    the food was great
    agreed
    the ghurkas were great
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    I was a third member of the team listed above, and agree with the basic comments made.

Tips for succesful completion:
    1. Agree your team goals - seems obvious but we discovered that we hadn't been clear enough with each other beforehand, and it's hard to renegotiate in the middle of an event.
    2. Work as a team - practice walking together, especially when exhausted.
    3. Eat and drink and have enough changes of clothes and support. Hot food and dry clothes at the mid-point made a tremendous difference.
    4. Try to pick a pace at which you are all comfortable walking, and try to stick to it.

I was one of the people who decided to quit when, after 11 hours of stormy weather, I realised that:
    1. we had slowed down so much as a team that we could not possibly have completed the course in the time allotted,
    2. that to continue would mean my rapidly disintegrating soggy feet might be permanently damaged,
    3. that the speed we were travelling at meant I was becoming very very cold and sleepy, which registered danger in my mind.

Without any prospect of 'success' by my terms the entire event had become pointless.

I am very aware that in the early hours of the morning after 18 hours of exercise things look much bleaker than at any other time, but this year I will be better prepared for that, and have also warned my 2004 team-mates that if they want cheerful chat at 1am they can do it themselves... :-)

It was a bitter decision to take, and last year the dragon won. This year we are hoping to do better.

Good luck.
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Oh, and as a result of the training walks last year I switched from Brashers to lightweight Meindls, which made a tremendous difference to my hamstrings. If you are already very fit (I'm not) it probably won't be any sort of trial for you.

We found that regular foot massage and sock changes at every stop helped a lot as well.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm really looking forward to it! We're going to have a bit of difficulty doing a lot of team practices as we all live so far away and are all pretty committed workwise but we'll do our best!

I am getting a lot of training in eating lots at the moment though!

Cheers

Rob
  • Options
    Good advice helen
    Totally agree

apart form the shoes
    i know my brashers would have done me proud

(I didnt bother with sock changes--didnt wanna se my feet)
  • Options
    I wore shoes that were half a size bigger than usual but as plodding hippo says didn't bother taking my shoes off - much safer to keep them on (otherwise you will create much more discomfort squeezing your feet back into the shoes!)

to keep ourselves occuppied we would tell jokes, do impressions of the pub singer (which I might add I was the only member of the team who was completely hopeless!!!!) and if its a good day, always get to the top of a hill, turn round and enjoy the view.

• Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Just a comment on shoes, having done the West Highland Way in 3 1/2 days. Underfoot was mostly gravel/crushed rock/tarmac with very little grass. Not knowing what the terrain would be I choose to use Asic Gel Guts trail shoes. In retrospect my ordinary running shoes (asic 1080s) would have been better with more cushioning.

I don't know what the surface is on the SDW but if its grass I'd go for trail shoes, more than 50% tarmac/gravel running shoes.

I wouldn't plan to use boots if I was aiming for a fast time unless I was worried about my ankles needing support.

• Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Fast times!!! HMW falls about laughing...

I tried walking in running shoes but after a few miles they don't provide enough protection against stones. I'd love apair of shoes with strong enough soles not to be able to feel the stones, but similar cushioning to running shoes - my toes would twiddle with delight.
  • Options
    I ran in trail shoes found them very comfortable.