Options

2016: best year ever...

Happy new year. With political changes and the list of iconic celebrities dying during the course of the year, 2016 seems likely to be remembered with little fondness. This all depends on your personal interests and political outlook of course. Half the people found something positive in Brexit and Trump and can celebrate the sea change these votes will bring. The other half (including myself) are still somewhat confused about the whole thing. We are like Jack's mother when Jack arrives home with no cow, no money, and instead a handful of "magic" beans he got from some bloke on the road...

Sport has been an ongoing positive throughout the year with Andy Murray, Leicester City, the Olympics and Paralympics. Movement forward in environment action and animal protection has also been of note with the Paris Agreement and China's ban on ivory trading. Even the long obituary page has given pause for thought of the great, engaging and talented people that have enriched, educated and entertained.

A little shout out to some of the lesser known losses this year. People I just liked: Alan Vega of the band Suicide; Angus Scrimm who played The Tall Man in the Phantasm movies; Ken Barrie, the voice of Postman Pat; Vivean Gray who played Mrs Mangel in Neighbours; actor Peter Vaughn; film director Michael Cimino who made The Deer Hunter; director Robin Hardy who made The Wicker Man; and finally the brilliant comedian Garry Shandling.

So we wait to see how the next year will pan out. I'm not fearful, I've got faith in smart decent people we have at hand. There's a first year of Trump presidency to enjoy, which should be thrillingly hillarious at a distance. Disanfrachised America will learn he's not the solution to their problems - like learning that visiting a medically qualified gynacologist for an examination is preferable to having an enthusiastic rapist take a look.

I do secretly reckon 2017 may be a bastard though. I'd also put money on a major Royal death, that is if I've still got any money. So, happy new year. Let's all get drunk and celebrate/commiserate. Any predictions for the glorious people's revolution and/or smouldering dystopia that will be 2017?

Comments

• Options
    You may be right about a royal death soon. Queen hasn't been seen in public for eleven days and may be too ill to attend church on new years day.

2016 wasn't that bad, some pop stars died, so what Bowie had Cancer, Leonard Cohen was old, Prince was an addict and George Michael was crap. We don't know what will happen with Brexit , I just hope it proves to be UKIPs swansong, Clinton didn't become President which was a good thing, its just a shame it was Trump instead! Austria rejected the far right presidential candidate.

More importantly i got PBs at 5k, 10k, half marathon and marathon!!

As for 2017 I wont be surprised if fascist Le Pen wins in France. The Middle East will still be a mess, nothing will be done about ecological destruction, religious nutters will still kill innocent people and pop stars will still die. Lets hope Trump doesn't start WW3.

Here's to more PBs!
  • Options

Same to you. its good for you but not for me.

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

In 2017 Starbucks will go bankrupt; Andy Murray will complete a 'true' Grand Slam; Man flu will be discovered to be genuinely gender specific, producing calls for extra sick days in the workplace; the first human mission to Mars will be postponed but Elon Musk will propose missions to Saturn's moons; the first £100M football player will be transferred; there will be complaints about money in football;  Trump will not be indicted for using his position to benefit his business; Trump will facilitate the re-opening of uneconomical, polluting US industry whilst reneging on climate change accords; Freak weather will disrupt the US East Coast far more than usual; Aliens will invade, but not the US and not on any particularly special day, causing worldwide panic and confusion due to the lack of awareness and planning.

• Options

My guess is that there was uncertainty in the United States in January 1777' who was to know that the events of 4th July the previously would be viewed as a watershed moment years later.  No one really knows what the further holds or weather 23rd June will have the same positive outcome, but lots of arguments and arrogance on both sides.

I sick of hearing about dead pop stars and celebrities, often lorded (literally) for their aparant philanthropy, yet dying with millions, often having avoided tax most of their careers.  Why is it so lardable to give a say a few millions when your worth 20, 50, 200 million or constantly appealing for the average person to support their latest project?  Anyone want to hazard a guess at the total worth of band aid members?  

• Options

Re pop stars, and celebrities, more and more will die each year as there are more and more of them.  Celebrity culture/publicity was pretty insignificant in the 40's and 50's and has been growing exponentially ever since.  We're only seeing a trickle of the mid 20th century 'stars' at the moment.  

Contrastingly there are fewer and fewer VC holders, but we rarely hear about or mourn their passing.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    Anyone want to hazard a guess at the total worth of band aid members?  

Well. Bono and Geldof are both very charitable people so I would imagine they have next to nothing left.

Couldn't really guess how much the others might be worth now.