Options

Macca training/coaching

PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I wondered if anyone had any experience or thoughts on Macca's training programmes.  From what i can tell, you can get training programmes (not tailored specificially for you though) and access to clips of training programmes for under £20 a month.  I dont really want to shell out for a personal coach as i am not doing anything massively A race like this year but i do have some races planned and would like to follow some kind of structured plan.

Not sure if this is a good deal or if i would be better using free plans available on the internet.

Comments

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

http://www.maccax.com/ i think its actually this.

It came up on my facebook feed. 

• Options

I'd want a bit more than a standard plan for £240 a year.... 

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

The whole point of a coach is that they understand your weaknesses, strengths, motivations, available time, mental attitude, and then mix that with skilled knowledge of training methods and adapations to create a plan that delivers the result YOU want... no 'standard' plan can do that... you may as well buy a couple of decent books* and self-coach... in reality the effective coaching I describe above costs quite a bit more than £240 a year

*suggest Friel's 'training bible', Fink's 'Be Iron fit' and Vance's 'triathlon 2.0' as options.... will work out a whole load cheaper, and probably more effective.

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

thanks, yes, i think you are right.  I had a personal coach for ironman races and for comrades but i didnt really want to shell out this year to do a season of shorter tris.  I think the book is a better option.

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

Quite a lot of the cheaper plans like this provide facebook groups where coaches will interact with you although not at the same level as with a personal coach which I think is useful. I'm with something similar with trispecific and I know team oxygen addict provide the same.

• Options

I do find it ironic that in the past people with questions about training or events would post on places like tritalk and get a bunch of responses from many of the same people who now call themselves 'coach' and charge £200 a year for much the same thing, just in a private facebook group.  That's progress for you I suppose.

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    I'd have thought only worth it if you're an elite hoping for a win or placing at least, and If I was, I'd probably be in a good club with a trainer already, not just faffing along in my own sweet way.